Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finalized the specs on my ordered car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:33 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the mini, esp the S, is a fun little car to drive...but, it would be great if your commute is on twisty back roads..but on a highway with big suvs and trucks, i would opt. for something bigger......how about a the new civic Si? i havent driven it but its gotten good reviews, as has the vw..or what about commuting in that german sports coupe you have in the garage....its not a bad looking car....but kind of car is that again????? oh yea, a porsche ,thats it, a porsche!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:16 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjdc
A good friend of mine has a Mini Cooper S. He wanted me to drive it. What a blast! Slot car handling and lots of interior room. I want one of those! Unfortunately, we only have a 4 car garage and the CCR's prevent construction of an additional garage. Go for it Ben!
A 4 car garage??? ... I wanna buy a house where you live, Doug! ... Houses here are easily $1.25M with just a 2 car garage. grrrrr

I'm now undecided on color....again. Saw a nice Pepper White one in the dealer's showroom yesterday that looked really sharp all nice and shiny. I had seen a white one during the rainy days here last week and it looked ugly all dirty, so I thought of ordering a metallic color. Now I like the white with the black interior, black roof, black mirrors. And knowing me, I'll always keep it looking clean so I know it'll never look ugly like the one I saw. ... Decisions, decisions.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:50 AM
OCBen
Banned

My order officially got accepted into the queue today as the next batch of allocations were announced to all the North American dealerships, and I was assigned one of them by the dealership.

My order was assigned a production number and I have roughly a week or two at the most to finalize my order before it becomes fixed and locked in the sytem.

What is really cool is that miniusa.com has a waiter's lounge - no joke - where waiters can hang out after registering with their production number to find out their order status and where in the production cycle the car happens to be, so I'm told. I haven't been able to register yet since the database probably takes a day to be updated.

I told my sales guy, a really cool young guy whose dad happens to be the sales manager for the affiliated BMW dealership on the premises, that not even Porsche offers such a service to their waiters. He said, "You mean we're better than Porsche in this respect?" And I said, "Yes you are....yes you are."

I can tell he'd rather be doing something else with his time, and almost seems reluctant to be playing the role of car salesman. On Monday when I walked into the showroom I almost didn't recognize him when he happened to pop in to hand one of the sales guys something. He, along with all the other sales guys and one gal, usually wears a black t-shirt that has MINI Cooper print all over and a pair of jeans and sneakers. But on Monday he was wearing a black suit, white shirt with a stylish silk orange tie, and looked totally different. He almost apologized for the suit explaining that on Mondays he works in the finance department for BMW. I learned that he recently graduated from college with a bachelor's degree in business and a major in finance, and is building up his resume and hoping to move on to better things. Nice young guy. I always enjoy hearing of others trying to move up in the world. I wish him well.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:01 AM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ben, get ready for the Mini Cult. Fellow Mini drivers will honk, wave, peace sign, thumbs up, flash lights, knod of the head, I think you get the point. Lot's of attention from the cult. Haven't experienced anything quite like it since the good 'ol days of my VW's. :-]

Let's Motor!
Old 05-02-2006, 03:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

My car is scheduled to be built today, May 02!

It's probably already built (England time) and waiting for the next boat out!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
My car is scheduled to be built today, May 02!

It's probably already built (England time) and waiting for the next boat out!
Fun Fun Ben. Which supercharger kit are you going with?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:41 PM
OCBen
Banned

Nope, no S/C for me. ... It's going to be my gas sipper.

The only mods I'll be interested in is in making it sip through a swizzle stick and being able to squeeze out more miles to the gallon in the process. The only blowing going on will be me past the gas stations. ..
Old 05-02-2006, 05:59 PM
The B
Racer

I told my sales guy, a really cool young guy whose dad happens to be the sales manager for the affiliated BMW dealership on the premises, that not even Porsche offers such a service to their waiters. He said, "You mean we're better than Porsche in this respect?" And I said, "Yes you are....yes you are."

I can tell he'd rather be doing something else with his time, and almost seems reluctant to be playing the role of car salesman. On Monday when I walked into the showroom I almost didn't recognize him when he happened to pop in to hand one of the sales guys something. He, along with all the other sales guys and one gal, usually wears a black t-shirt that has MINI Cooper print all over and a pair of jeans and sneakers. But on Monday he was wearing a black suit, white shirt with a stylish silk orange tie, and looked totally different. He almost apologized for the suit explaining that on Mondays he works in the finance department for BMW. I learned that he recently graduated from college with a bachelor's degree in business and a major in finance, and is building up his resume and hoping to move on to better things. Nice young guy. I always enjoy hearing of others trying to move up in the world. I wish him well.
IMO that may be some of the best sales training to get, I also hire for timeshare and Xerox! Any one of those gets an interview from one of my managers any day of the week!
Old 05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Congrats, Ben - you'll love the car. This is what I drove before the 996 (ignore the mouse ears, nose and tail - we were in a Christmas parade)...
Attached Images    
Old 05-03-2006, 12:00 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Although the 997 will be my daily driver, I bought a 2002 Nissan Elantra yesterday for those occasions and events that I do not dare to take my Porsche to.
What on earth is a Nissan Elantra?
Old 05-03-2006, 12:45 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, no S/C for me. ... It's going to be my gas sipper.

The only mods I'll be interested in is in making it sip through a swizzle stick and being able to squeeze out more miles to the gallon in the process. The only blowing going on will be me past the gas stations. ..
tightass!
Old 05-03-2006, 01:12 AM
OCBen
Banned

Hey, I just bought a million dollar plus house over the weekend. Opened escrow yesterday and should be moving in around the first of June.

Yep, gotta pinch pennies now, especially when I have a 94 mile commute.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:13 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome - congrats Ben!

I'll be sure to send you a boars hair brush to keep her clean! j/k
Old 05-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by lowside67
What on earth is a Nissan Elantra?
google it kiddo
Old 05-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Ben

A Porsche, a Mini and a million dollar house! You have arrived.

Quick Reply: Just finalized the specs on my ordered car...