Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just finalized the specs on my ordered car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:32 AM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the color. Your new Mini looks like a playful, little, go-getter. Congratulations Ben, it's adorable.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, I promised someone I would post pics after my first detail, which happened over the long 4th of July weekend. I know, it's so unlike me. But after a month of ownership I was finally able to get around to detailing my MINI Cooper. The car still had some barely noticeable adhesive residue and so I spent quite a bit of time claying it off. I then used 3M's Swirl Mark Remover (the one for dark cars) to smooth out the finish. And finally I used Klasse HGSG over it and that was about it.

As for mods, I did the "Model Designation Delete" by dental floss. And I swapped out the stock wheels with these that I had bought a couple of months before taking delivery. I think it looks much better, even though these "S-Lite" wheels with tires weigh 45 lbs each versus the 28 lbs for the stocks. But hey, it's all about the looks for me.

Here's an interior shot. I ordered the cloth seats (no charge) instead of the standard vinyl that most of the kids order because of the resemblance to real leather.

I like the fact that the roof is black. I enjoy getting black to shine like black onyx. Missed that about my black Boxster S.....okay, maybe not.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:43 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
The car still had some barely noticeable adhesive residue and so I spent quite a bit of time claying it off. I then used 3M's Swirl Mark Remover (the one for dark cars) to smooth out the finish. And finally I used Klasse HGSG over it and that was about it.
Wow, that rocks Ben! I love that car - you are making me want one!

You should have used 3M Adhesive Remover for the residue. I bet you would have gotten it off in a few minutes and I have yet to see any negative effects of using on my paint. It is also good when you have a wife that rubs the back end of the SUV against something and gets paint on it and you need to remove the surface paint off the clearcoat without damaging your clearcoat!
Old 07-13-2006, 02:49 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah, what are your driving and ownership impressions of the MINI?
Old 07-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Wait a minute Ben,...are you telling us that YOU went a month without detailing one of your cars? I know you've been busy lately but,....OCBen not detailing a car in a whole month?????

PS That Mini looks very nice. Bilsteins and suupercharger on the way?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:08 AM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks Ron & Dave.

Ron: I really didn't think there was any residue at all, otherwise I would have used the Adhesive Remover. But it was while I was claying during the wash process that I noticed it (I like to use the soapy water as my lubricant) and so I just stuck with the clay to get rid of it. Wasn't really that much at all.

As for driving impressions, get this. It's a really totally different feel. The windshield feels like it's so far out in front because it doesn't slope back like on most cars, and as a result the top provides a lot of shade while driving, which is kinda nice especially during the summer heat.

The steering is really tight and responsive - no need for power steering in this little thing. The wheel is small as you can see in the pics and it's also a thicker design. Makes me wonder if a thicker wheel on the 997 might also feel better.

The most notable difference for me when switching to the Mini after driving the 911 is the clutch pedal resistance. It's almost non-existant. But after not driving the 997 for almost two weeks I got used to the light clutch of the Mini and it felt perfectly normal for a clutch. I got a chuckle when I finally got back into the 997 after driving the Mini. The clutch felt so stiff and hard on the 997 by comparison. I remember when I first got my 997 and remarked that the clutch felt so light and wimpy for such a powerful machine that it was almost embarrassing. Now it feels just right. lol

Dave: Nope, no mods of that sort for me. It's my gas miser.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Ron & Dave.

Ron: I really didn't think there was any residue at all, otherwise I would have used the Adhesive Remover. But it was while I was claying during the wash process that I noticed it (I like to use the soapy water as my lubricant) and so I just stuck with the clay to get rid of it. Wasn't really that much at all.

As for driving impressions, get this. It's a really totally different feel. The windshield feels like it's so far out in front because it doesn't slope back like on most cars, and as a result the top provides a lot of shade while driving, which is kinda nice especially during the summer heat.

The steering is really tight and responsive - no need for power steering in this little thing. The wheel is small as you can see in the pics and it's also a thicker design. Makes me wonder if a thicker wheel on the 997 might also feel better.

The most notable difference for me when switching to the Mini after driving the 911 is the clutch pedal resistance. It's almost non-existant. But after not driving the 997 for almost two weeks I got used to the light clutch of the Mini and it felt perfectly normal for a clutch. I got a chuckle when I finally got back into the 997 after driving the Mini. The clutch felt so stiff and hard on the 997 by comparison. I remember when I first got my 997 and remarked that the clutch felt so light and wimpy for such a powerful machine that it was almost embarrassing. Now it feels just right. lol

Dave: Nope, no mods of that sort for me. It's my gas miser.
I've been super happy with my thicker steering wheel in the 997. In fact, it could be a little thicker and that would be fine by me. However it has a great feel and the smooth leather feels really nice in my hands. It kind reminds me of a good bag or breifcase with a nice smooth leather wrapped handle that just makes you feel like the bag is top shelf. If you are a tactile person, then the thicker smooth leather steering wheel is a good option on your next P-Car.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:05 PM
OCBen
Banned

Is the thicker steering wheel option available with the Multi-Function Steering Wheel? Gotta have that before the thicker steering wheel. Maybe I'll wrap a leather cover over the wheel with nylon lacing......maybe not.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Looks very nice. I love those cars. The colors are great.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 PM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks Amy. I really love red now. Glad I changed it from the Pepper White I originally had on order.

Now, about my kitchen cabinets and countertops....
Old 07-13-2006, 02:36 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Ben:

No factory thicker wheel with the multi function. I have seen aftermarket, I think Techart uses the existing multi function set up. I think I saw it on 6spdonline if you ever cruise over there.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:44 PM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks Robert. I think I saw someone here post that upgrade. Can't remember who though.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:16 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Is the thicker steering wheel option available with the Multi-Function Steering Wheel? Gotta have that before the thicker steering wheel. Maybe I'll wrap a leather cover over the wheel with nylon lacing......maybe not.
Nope. I had originally placed my order for the MF steering wheel too, but after I drove a car with the thicker one I switched. My logic was that the 997 was about being a drivers car so options that enhance the driving experience (i.e., thicker steering wheel, short throw shifter, etc...) would overrule creature comforts that I have in my other cars (i.e., nav, multi-function) if I was forced to make a choice.

I have the MF steering wheel in my Benz, so I thought I would really miss it but i haven't. PCM is so close to my hand in the 911 (unlike the Benz) that I really don't have to take my eyes off the road to switch radio stations or CD tracks, and adjust the volume which is about the only thing I do with the PCM 99% of the time. Anything I can view on the COMAND display has a display for the instrument panel on the Benz, so I'd have a harder time living without that one because I use lots of features on it (like the trip computer - which I just keep displayed all of the time on the 997).
Old 07-13-2006, 03:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by ronmart
My logic was that the 997 was about being a drivers car so options that enhance the driving experience....
That's preciously why the MFSW was a must-have option for me, because it enhances my driving experience.....on the freeways and surface streets.

My car will never see the track (though I might, at PDE) and so I optioned my car as a luxury sports car. The phone module was important to me, so was the NAV, and so was hands-free operation via the MFSW.

The standard steering wheel thickness is not at all uncomfortable, by any means. It's just that I notice the difference when coming off the Mini.

Also, reverse on the Mini is to the far right and down. That's sometimes a little confusing when switching between the two. Oh well.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Thanks Amy. I really love red now. Glad I changed it from the Pepper White I originally had on order.

Now, about my kitchen cabinets and countertops....
Good luck with that -- so many choices!

Quick Reply: Just finalized the specs on my ordered car...