Sponsored by:

Our Beloved 997 under fire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 06:05 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
My experience, and I own both right now, is that the 997S out handles the Z06....The Z06 is twitchy and jumpy when loaded... has numb steering feel... doesn't feel planted in the rear at all. When I push the Z06 I just concentrate on reacting to oversteer...Hopefully GM will figure out that this composite leaf spring suspension ain't keeping up.
My experience with my 2005 C6 was the same as yours in the Z06 and this is the first time I have seen someone suggest it is the rear springs. Most of the magazines praise the handling of the C6 but on a fast back road it demanded all of my attention while in the Porsche I could casually glance at my speedometer to find I was going must faster than I thought I was.

Alan

Last edited by BiggerTwin; 03-20-2006 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
My experience with my 2005 C6 was the same as yours in the Z06 and this is the first time I have seen someone suggest it is the rear springs. Most of the magazines praise the handling of the C6 but on a fast back road it demanded all of my attention while in the Porsche I could casually glance at my speedometer to find I was going must faster than I thought I was.
Alan
Well I suppose those mags have to say something nice when GM buys 4 page ads. It is how the magazine system works. They sneak some punches in but basically lambasting is out of the question. Perhaps I'm cynical.

I also drive took a drive in the rain with a Z06 of my neighbor's ( we exchanged rides since he wanted to drive a 911 Cs). Without going to 90% grip, the Z06 in the wet responds a little nervously because there is very little feedback from the steering or chasis(unless you count bumpy rattling for no reason feedback). However, in stoplight dragging, I get left behind only the cop car. It is brutally fast.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Well I suppose those mags have to say something nice when GM buys 4 page ads. It is how the magazine system works. They sneak some punches in but basically lambasting is out of the question. Perhaps I'm cynical.

ding ding ding
This also explains why the 2006 Motortrend car of the year (Civic) and the "truck" of the year, the laughable at best Ridgeline - are both hondas.
It also explains why the 1976 Car of the Year was a plymouth Volare, one of the biggest piles of steaming crap ever made.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:26 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think if you look carefully at a naked ZO6 chassis, you have to be impressed. There are some generic GM components, but overall it's an incredible accomplishment. C6 steering feel is poor compared to Porsche, and switchgear generally sucks, but the magazine does have a valid point. It is hard to measure where the ZO6 is worse, and easy to measure where it's better.
The car of the year award comes with lots of strings attached to entry- the factory has to make multiple vehicles available for the year, etc, so it isn't a true competition. That doesn't mean that every article is baseless.
Even the British mags like the ZO6- and they have no significant GM ads. AS
Old 03-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

We had a Z06 here at the local dealership this weekend (it's Andy Granatelli's new car in some bright yellow color). Very nice lines,--but I would have liked to have seen how it handles. (It still says GM on the side).

Dan
Old 03-21-2006, 08:03 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd like to see if the steering feel come back and handling becomes less twitchy on the Z if two things are done:

Throw the run flats out and put on some PS2s or equal
Coilovers are installed all around.

Hmm, and I think you would still be well under the 100k for a well equiped 997S.

Last edited by BC; 03-21-2006 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Our Beloved 997 under fire!!!