Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our Beloved 997 under fire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006 | 11:46 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ds2k1
I actually think the MT article is dead-on. But there's nothing that would have made me consider changing my mind away from the Carrera
True, true.

It's like dating: If you need a big boost in self-confidence or want to impress your friends, you go on a date with Suzy who is the best-looking girl in town (nevermind she's rather dull). If you need help with your algebra problems, you go on a date with Rosemary who has made straight A grades since Kindergarten (but there are obvious reasons why she does not have a boyfriend). If you want a wild night in town, you hang with Samantha who is the craziest girl you've ever met (and who is always at full throttle).

But if you want a meaningful, balanced relationship that is satisfying in the long run, you pursue Catherine who is pretty (though not as hot as Suzy), intelligent (though not as book-smart as Rosemary), and fun and exciting to be around (though not as crazy and over-the-top as Samantha).

I chose Catherine!
Old 03-18-2006 | 12:29 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Watches

Originally Posted by blk on blk
I have a Ulysses Nardin watch that I love, but man that thing doesn't keep time all that great.
If it gains or loses more than 1 second a day take it to your dealer and have them regulate it. And it doesn't matter whether it's a Patek, Lange, UN or Rolex don't accept anything more.
Old 03-18-2006 | 12:57 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Le Chef
If it gains or loses more than 1 second a day take it to your dealer and have them regulate it. And it doesn't matter whether it's a Patek, Lange, UN or Rolex don't accept anything more.
Tell me about your collection
Old 03-18-2006 | 01:41 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by allegretto
"watch with a rotating bezel. It’s a Citizen Eco-drive with perpetual calendar, which means I never (ED: how long do you plan to live?) have to replace a battery and I never have to set the date (ED again: Is that a George Carlin line, or what?). It has a lightweight titanium body and it keeps very accurate time"

Dude...you bother to ROCK with your car, even if it's subterranian since no one in OC can get their eyes un-glued from, like, the Z-06 (Oh my God!)

C'mon spaceman, step up my brother in the finer things.

Rolex? Pleeeeeeeeeeeez!

You need a nice vintage Vascheron while you can still get 'em. Before you know it those Producers and Agents will be snapping 'em all up and you'll pay triple what you can buy it for today.

I nice watch is the only thing a guy who has never seen BBM (and cried) can wear. Go on, no one at JPL will know (except the other watch geeks).
Yo, you talkin' to me? You makin' fun of me??? I told you already, I'm a sensible man. And I don't care how good a watch salesman you are, you're not gonna talk me into buying jewelry. What I have suits my needs just fine. I'm not into bling or vanities. No offense to those who are.

Subterranean??? What under earth are you talking about? And don't disparage OC if you've never lived here. Most of us are highly educated and sophisticated enough not to drool over a Chevrolet.
Old 03-18-2006 | 01:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OCBen
....Most of us are highly educated and sophisticated enough not to drool over a Chevrolet.
Old 03-18-2006 | 03:15 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

You guys should all relax and read pages 52-54 of Motor Trend. In the end they still loved our 997 saying " The 911 remains among the most accessible extioc cars on the planet". They still love this car no matter what.
Old 03-18-2006 | 05:05 PM
boolala
Race Car

I find that watch collectors are very much like people who are heavily into photography. They obsess over minutiae that the rest of us don't give a rat's @ss about.
Old 03-18-2006 | 05:17 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by boolala
They obsess over minutiae that the rest of us don't give a rat's @ss about.
That is just what 90% of the people think about us car guys

Alan
Old 03-18-2006 | 05:26 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by MHC2S
You guys should all relax and read pages 52-54 of Motor Trend. In the end they still loved our 997 saying " The 911 remains among the most accessible extioc cars on the planet". They still love this car no matter what.
Yeah, that's the joke in all this. They should have put that comment on the cover so people wouldn't waste their money/time buying the mag or discussing it's contents.
Old 03-18-2006 | 05:28 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
That is just what 90% of the people think about us car guys

Alan
Then they shouldn't visit this site.
Old 03-18-2006 | 06:00 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MMD
Yeah, that's the joke in all this. They should have put that comment on the cover so people wouldn't waste their money/time buying the mag or discussing it's contents.
LOL how true!!!
Old 03-18-2006 | 08:08 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I love auto watches...got 9 of them from Rolex, Panerai, Breitling and looking at either a Nardin, LaCrouix or Zenith.
Anyway, I have had a lot of Vettes in the past. They were all good cars, very fast and fun to drive. In 2001 my wife bought herself a Boxster S. This car was slower than the '99 Vette we had but the Porsche Boxster was put together better and even more fun than the Vette to drive.

We are now looking at ordering a 911 4S and I read about the new Vette, test drove one and really considered it BUT once again the Porsche just is more car and more fun to drive.
Old 03-18-2006 | 08:59 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Pretty typical watch collection

Blancpain, Breguet, Glashuette Original, IWC, JLC, Lange, Minerva, Nomos, Rolex, Union Glashuette - usual sort of stuff.
Old 03-19-2006 | 02:23 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Blancpain, Breguet, Glashuette Original, IWC, JLC, Lange, Minerva, Nomos, Rolex, Union Glashuette - usual sort of stuff.
Owned GO, BP, IWC (still do), Rolex (still do), Chopard (still do), Lange (one of my favorite, still do), BGT (most elegant). Vacheron, Paneri, Audemars (still do) and of course PP.

One second??? That's tough to maintain for long periods of time. The thing I've found is that some can be that accurate and will stay like that, and some just won't. Especially Vintage.

If we have a Chicago meet, wear you favorite and we'll compare notes.
Old 03-19-2006 | 02:33 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
Yo, you talkin' to me? You makin' fun of me??? I told you already, I'm a sensible man. And I don't care how good a watch salesman you are, you're not gonna talk me into buying jewelry. What I have suits my needs just fine. I'm not into bling or vanities. No offense to those who are.

Subterranean??? What under earth are you talking about? And don't disparage OC if you've never lived here. Most of us are highly educated and sophisticated enough not to drool over a Chevrolet.
Not talkin' bout jewelery, I'm takin' watches, Holmes

Bling??? Most watches in the six figure zone are anything but Bling. No one that heavy wants Diamond dials, well maybe in OC. That's a Vegas thing. Vanity, no actually it is a sublime pleasure. Virtually no one ever knows what I'm wearing. They just think it's a watch.

Fine mechanical devices are underappriciated in our digital/disposable Society. I really think that's the pleasure of a Porsche. When I drive it I'm reminded of one of my fine timepieces.

Actually I did live in Elsinore for a while as loose youth.

Where in OC do you live?

Quick Reply: Our Beloved 997 under fire!!!