Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which industry/profession provides you with a living? (choose closest, primary match)
Artistic / Creative / Performance
2.11%
Construction
2.53%
Engineering / Manufacturing
5.49%
Executive / Management / Consulting
12.24%
Financial Services / Trader / Insurance
10.13%
IT / Computers / Technology
11.81%
Legal
10.13%
Medical / Dental / Veterinary
16.88%
Political / Government / Military
2.11%
Real Estate
4.64%
Retail / Food Services
2.53%
Sales / Marketing
2.53%
Teacher / Professor / Education (nonstudent)
0.84%
Travel / Hospitality / Transportation
0.42%
Other Services (please post)
0.84%
Retired
5.49%
Student
0.84%
Self-employed, but not in above areas (please post)
3.80%
Other profession (please post)
1.69%
No profession
0.84%
Stupid poll / I don't know
2.11%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

What do 997ies do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006 | 01:29 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
You are running off with the agent? Your poor wife. CHEATER!

So, is it still the 1.5M home or did you come to your senses?
She is pretty hot - gotta tell ya.

I guess you could say I came to my senses. Backed out of the deal and am now shopping for another home - hence the frequent trips with the agent (no, that's not an excuse I give the wife.)

The housing market is slowing down everywhere including the usually stout So Cal market. And coupled with that interest rates are rising as everyone knows. I pretty much anticipated that and allowed for that possibility in my buying decision. But here's what made me decide to pull the plug.

To be able to afford this purchase it would require two full time wage earners. The wife is in grad school part time working on her masters in chemical engineering. She's had to cut back a bit on her hours at work and that has impacted the monthly take home. Now she wants to go for her PhD meaning she won't be able to work full time and we won't be able to swing this deal if that's the case. I don't want to hold her back so I told her to go for it if that's what she wants to do. And she does.

And so the house is out of the question, even though we had invested a lot of our emotions in that purchase. I used to go to the homesite every Sunday to fully document the construction progress with tons of photos after having had to wait months and months in the queue to finally have our number called to make the purchase. I still miss those weekly trips to the site. So we are now looking for something even more modest as an intermediate home.
Originally Posted by allegretto
OCBen you know the Os is not the Fundus. This is an important distinction. You must be quite the ladies man!
I see I somehow managed to probe, if you will, into the realm of gynecology. I'll take your word on the lingo, but I just use layman terms for those two distinct structures.
Originally Posted by Le Chef
Ben "Orifices" are indeed the transitional boundery zone between holes (lighter matter except in the case of black holes) and denser matter. This is a not well researched topic so we don't have a lot of data, but again one government organization has asked us to look at worm holes (a related topic) in the space-time continuum and how they might be moved and transported to wherever we (government agency) might need them to be. In times of warfare for instance being able to rapidly move a worm hole in the space-time continuum from one set of coordinates to another at beyond light speed might become a critical factor in an intergalactic battle.
Chef, that is just hilarious, and it was fun to read. I like the added touch of mentioning the need to instantly switch from one inertial reference system to another without any hiccups in order to make the whole worm hole thing work. You guys just have too much time on your hands - or is it just you?
Old 03-16-2006 | 10:26 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys. I have a little extra time on my hands for the next few days (see "Beware" thread) but it's a fun thing to do.

As to hole creation I think we'll still skirt around that challenge.

One little secret though and I probably shouldn't tell. We helped the Beatles. Many, many years ago they were having a writer's block and needed help visualizing something. We arranged to move a hole for them into a ceiling where the rain could get in. The lyrics required them to fix this but they couldn't "see" it without having the hole actually there in the ceiling. Not difficult, but they needed the right kind of hole which of course took time finding and then moving from another part of the country (Scotland as it happens).

We also used multiple low loaders to transport 4,000 holes (yes 4,000!) to a city in the north of England called Blackburn, so they could see the lyrics for a "Day in the life of" song. It was hugely expensive but they had already made millions so I guess they thought it was worth it.

anyway keep those to yourselves - I don't want Sir Paul or Ringo after me because of that stuff!
Old 03-16-2006 | 10:34 AM
Porky
Instructor

I'm in the most interesting business in the world - Freight Forwarding - we see everyone's costs!
Including the biggest profit mark up in the world CXXXO (you computer guys will know who I am referring to) Good on them is what I say!
Old 03-16-2006 | 11:22 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Thanks guys. I have a little extra time on my hands for the next few days (see "Beware" thread) but it's a fun thing to do.

As to hole creation I think we'll still skirt around that challenge.

One little secret though and I probably shouldn't tell. We helped the Beatles. Many, many years ago they were having a writer's block and needed help visualizing something. We arranged to move a hole for them into a ceiling where the rain could get in. The lyrics required them to fix this but they couldn't "see" it without having the hole actually there in the ceiling. Not difficult, but they needed the right kind of hole which of course took time finding and then moving from another part of the country (Scotland as it happens).

We also used multiple low loaders to transport 4,000 holes (yes 4,000!) to a city in the north of England called Blackburn, so they could see the lyrics for a "Day in the life of" song. It was hugely expensive but they had already made millions so I guess they thought it was worth it.

anyway keep those to yourselves - I don't want Sir Paul or Ringo after me because of that stuff!
Tell me, does Harry Carey's estate still pay you royalties? I know you guys made a boatload of $$$ on him.
Old 03-16-2006 | 11:27 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Software is very profitable. In my business 20 cents of every dollar we sell goes right in the old back pocket. HIPAA was a real windfall for us, and every doctor I know secretly wants to be a software entrepreneur... one actually has done it.
Old 03-16-2006 | 12:44 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porky
I'm in the most interesting business in the world - Freight Forwarding - we see everyone's costs! Including the biggest profit mark up in the world CXXXO (you computer guys will know who I am referring to)
Porky, I don't want to ask our computer guys because I don't want them to realize how ignorant I am (we marketing professors are the masters of the universe over here). So, what DOES that stand for (CXXXO)?

I agree on the income potential. I'm placing a lot of our graduates with logistics firms such as CHR.
Old 03-16-2006 | 02:22 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

CRISCO
Old 03-16-2006 | 04:19 PM
woody-77
Racer

Originally Posted by ojpimpson
breed pitbulls.
better than breeding with pitbulls I guess.
Old 03-16-2006 | 04:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Porky, I don't want to ask our computer guys because I don't want them to realize how ignorant I am (we marketing professors are the masters of the universe over here). So, what DOES that stand for (CXXXO)?

I agree on the income potential. I'm placing a lot of our graduates with logistics firms such as CHR.
CYS?O where ? = first letter of the company name.
Old 03-16-2006 | 05:29 PM
dgwhitten
Instructor

Thanks to all you docs out there who create jobs for folks like me: cat herders. Been physician practice manager since fleeing hospital administration. Love working with and for docs. Am running large anesthesiology practice now for 8 years. Great folks, most of whom are jealous of my ride.
Old 03-16-2006 | 05:58 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by gota911
CYS?O where ? = first letter of the company name.
I thought it was Cisco, derived from San Fran, hence the GG Bridge in the logo?
Old 03-16-2006 | 06:33 PM
carreraboy
Intermediate

I am an oil company exec and responsible for your high gasoline prices (NOT)

-------------------------------------
06 C4...too many options to list
Old 03-16-2006 | 11:07 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by OCBen
I thought it was Cisco, derived from San Fran, hence the GG Bridge in the logo?
Ben - you are correct. Dyslexic fingers on the keyboard!
Old 03-17-2006 | 12:22 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=carreraboy]I am an oil company exec and responsible for your high gasoline prices (NOT)

Then you can easily afford to send all Rennlisters some free gas cards.
Old 03-18-2006 | 06:31 PM
Maxy
Advanced

Originally Posted by USCHANDPOD
[My patients don't die 99.9% of the time.

That's because they get transferred to the medicine service to save them. FOOBA.

Quick Reply: What do 997ies do for a living?