Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which industry/profession provides you with a living? (choose closest, primary match)
Artistic / Creative / Performance
2.11%
Construction
2.53%
Engineering / Manufacturing
5.49%
Executive / Management / Consulting
12.24%
Financial Services / Trader / Insurance
10.13%
IT / Computers / Technology
11.81%
Legal
10.13%
Medical / Dental / Veterinary
16.88%
Political / Government / Military
2.11%
Real Estate
4.64%
Retail / Food Services
2.53%
Sales / Marketing
2.53%
Teacher / Professor / Education (nonstudent)
0.84%
Travel / Hospitality / Transportation
0.42%
Other Services (please post)
0.84%
Retired
5.49%
Student
0.84%
Self-employed, but not in above areas (please post)
3.80%
Other profession (please post)
1.69%
No profession
0.84%
Stupid poll / I don't know
2.11%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

What do 997ies do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
No problem! would the cats be prepared to offer a couple of their cast off whiskers to use for some of the higher notes? I would make tuning purrfectly easy for any cat that wants to play.
Very nice - ha hah ha.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
It can be assumed that we are all mature adults here (...) and so it is incumbent upon us to engage in community involvement and intercede on behalf of our fellow members for the common good
I could not agree more. And exactly because we are generally successful in doing so, this particular forum is a great place to hang out at. It felt like home from the first day I started reading, and I always become very uncomfortable when hostile confrontation erupts.

I cannot believe I'm here and my new car is at home. But tomorrow...
Old 03-15-2006, 06:32 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

I am an MD/PhD medical oncologist who runs a large cancer treatment and research program at a major university medical center. I just finished seeing about 25 patients today while negotiating clinical trial budgets with three pharmaceutical companies by email and revising one of my fellow's research proposals. I really like my job.

Right before I started reading this thread (I lurk a lot, post a little) I got to tell a woman with a large cancer in her breast that she had no spread of the cancer anywhere else in her body. I got a hug, and that made my day.

What is really going to make my day? Seeing my three young kids before they go to bed.

What also is going to make my day? Going down to the hospital basement parking lot in about 1-2 hours, getting in my 997 S Cab, and driving 30 minutes home (blaring the Cayenne XM radio unit for PCM I had installed two weeks ago thanks to this board). I read this board (and occasionally participate) precisely because I know most if not all of us feel the same way about our 997s.

To my physician collegues: we should leave drqiman alone. We can all recall many "quack" horror stories from our various parts of the country (believe me, in my business I could spend gigabytes recounting them), but drqiman does not strike me as one of them. He is a trained MD who has taken a slightly different spin on his profession than most of us. He enjoys his profession, takes a lot of pride in it (it really doesn't sound like arrogance) and most importantly for him, he is about to enjoy his new 997 GT3. Congratulations to him.

Now I have to go back to work to get out of here at a decent hour. Sorry for the long OT rant.

Soulteacher, thanks for this thread. Again, why did you start it?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S4to911
I am an MD/PhD medical oncologist...
I call Trump: MD, PhD, MBA !!
But my favorite degree is the one I most recently acquired: the 911.

In all seriousness, I have often wondered how many of my fellow Rennlisters are also in Medicine and in what areas. Medicine for me was a third career (or so). I started out as an organic chemist (about 8 years including a PhD), then went nuts and went to B-school and worked for a large management consulting group, and then, finally got the guts to pursue what it is that I always wanted to do - medicine. I found Anesthesiology to offer a wonderful blend of patient contact, physiology & pharmacology, and procedural work. I wouldn't trade careers for anything,.... except of course a professional race car driver (preferably F1) or an astronaut. I don't know about all of you,...but I sure would like to reduce my hours.

And thank you to all my friends out there in Dentistry - I've given you alot of money over the years and you've kept me smiling!

And to any Veterinarians out there, please take good care of the kitties.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by S4to911
Thanks for this thread. Again, why did you start it?
Really just out of curiosity... I love to learn about the people I benefit from and socialize with; even if it's only virtually...
Old 03-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We started to put together a database of holes that covered everything from the metaphysical to the physical. It was tough going.

One of the most interesting was talking to a group of programers we tried to help as they kept finding arguments with holes in them. We had to help them figure out how the holes got there in the first place and then the tricky part, how to remove them. One of our trickiest holes in the argument was getting rid of the Y2K "hole" - it took years before we could cart the sucker away and deep six it.

And let's not go to the political "hole in the argument" sub-category in the database....
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Chef: Nice play on words there - "finding arguments with holes in them", instead of the more common "finding holes in arguments" which I see is a sub-category in the database.

Maybe you could call this hole business The Science of Orifices, but then again the word orifice connotes just the opening of the hole and not the internal cavity, which together with the orifice make up the of the whole hole. I can see how orifices themselves can be a specialized field within this science of holes. They serve as the gateway to the hole and the harbinger of what lies within the mysterious depths. ... Hmmm, very interesting.

Dave, I see your MD, PhD & MBA and I raise you.... nahhh, just kidding with you. Just wanted to see how that sounded.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:50 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
it took a day for you to come up with this lame reply???
Hey, I've been busy at work and at home. I don't have as much free time as I used to - lucky for you! Now I need to run off with my real estate agent - she's waiting for me outside.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Now I need to run off with my real estate agent
You are running off with the agent? Your poor wife. CHEATER!

So, is it still the 1.5M home or did you come to your senses?

Last edited by Soulteacher; 03-15-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:47 PM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

Originally Posted by Coochas
I call Trump: MD, PhD, MBA !!
COOCHAS: You really should have studied harder and gone for a more challenging degree.

All kidding aside not only is that impressive but is downright insane to study that much. I can only imagine how much money you owe for your education(s). Is there a D.V.M. in your future?

S4to911: Congrats to you on engaging in care and treatment of what I think is perhaps the most challenging thing in medicine... terminal patients with poor prognoses. That is why I chose orthopedics. My patients don't die 99.9% of the time. I too would like to see the drqiman thing go away but for the record you mentioned he is a "trained MD". Just wondering where you got that information from?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:55 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by USCHANDPOD
COOCHAS: You really should have studied harder and gone for a more challenging degree.

All kidding aside not only is that impressive but is downright insane to study that much. I can only imagine how much money you owe for your education(s). Is there a D.V.M. in your future?
A DVM,....oooh, that would be sweet. But I've had it with school,...other than teaching residents and med students,...which I really enjoy. The next classes I take will either be 1) PDE, 2) piano lessons (I play classical), or 3) advanced dive certification.
Fortunately the PhD was free and the MBA was half paid for by the firm I went to work for. As for med school,...that cost a bit but it was all part of the grand plan. My wife did the 6-year college med school route (i.e. the complete opposite of my slow-persons approach to doctoring) and we have some of that debt leftover.
So,...all I need to do is pay down that debt and make enough money so we can retire in VT one day and have a 999 turbo, a Cayenne Turbo S w/VTG, and something for my wife,...maybe a Hyundai or used Yugo.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:11 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Coochas, very cool

I was an Organic Chemist as well, MS only. Worked R&D for two years and knew I wouldn't make it. Labs tend to be...ah...boring!

Went to Med School and am an Ophthalmologist. Am currently thinking about going to a three year JD/MBA program.

Onc...there are many ways to consider that field but I think my perspective would be considered different than most.

Le Chef, are you the guy who invented those tiny holes in transistors, or was that another hole company? How do you guys get them to "flow"? that's quite a trick.

OCBen you know the Os is not the Fundus. This is an important distinction. You must be quite the ladies man!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
Coochas, very cool

I was an Organic Chemist as well, MS only. Worked R&D for two years and knew I wouldn't make it. Labs tend to be...ah...boring!

Went to Med School and am an Ophthalmologist. Am currently thinking about going to a three year JD/MBA program.

Onc...there are many ways to consider that field but I think my perspective would be considered different than most.

Le Chef, are you the guy who invented those tiny holes in transistors, or was that another hole company? How do you guys get them to "flow"? that's quite a trick.

OCBen you know the Os is not the Fundus. This is an important distinction. You must be quite the ladies man!
No kidding,...another organic chemist - far out.
I luv you Optho guys,...had my cataract done last year and now I correct to 20/20 (I have Fuchs heterochromic iridocyclitis,...and am fairly certain I'm the only Rennlister with this diagnosis!).

And yes Ben, the os is different than the fundus,...when you examine the os you usually say "here I am,...at your cervix mam." When you examine the fundus you might say "how many fingers do I have up" - and saying this during an os exam would be really really bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Ben "Orifices" are indeed the transitional boundery zone between holes (lighter matter except in the case of black holes) and denser matter. This is a not well researched topic so we don't have a lot of data, but again one government organization has asked us to look at worm holes (a related topic) in the space-time continuum and how they might be moved and transported to wherever we (government agency) might need them to be. In times of warfare for instance being able to rapidly move a worm hole in the space-time continuum from one set of coordinates to another at beyond light speed might become a critical factor in an intergalactic battle.

"Le Chef, are you the guy who invented those tiny holes in transistors, or was that another hole company? How do you guys get them to "flow"? that's quite a trick."

Allegretto: Answer no it's a hole other company that makes them. We just have the tricky job of moving them. I don't want us to get in the business of hole creation - that's just too ambitious. And how you get them to flow? One word "Plastics".

Sorry if this all seems a little esoteric but it's a topic that some government agencies and large corporations would prefer to be less rather well known than better known. But I'm proud about the way the company has grown and how we have expanded the breadth of the hole business in a matter of a few short years.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Le Chef
I don't want us to get in the business of hole creation
Let me know if you ever change your mind. I have a great production machine running: My students are staring holes into the wall during all of my classes. Specific topics generate exellent output levels. Just let me know what you need. Of course, graduate-level holes will be a little more expensive.

Quick Reply: What do 997ies do for a living?