Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions Solicited on Center Consoles Painted Exterior Color

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 10:49 PM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

i think toomey's console looks damn cheap. sorry, but somebody had to say it.

toomey, drive down to LA.....we'll tear it out and trade.

god, the things i do for other people

but you'll owe me one!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:15 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With some color combinations, a pairing of painted rear console and sport seat backs would be very striking, but it could also go really wrong. Many other interior items can be ordered in exterior color, allowing for an authentic customized look. As an alternate, you can substantially upscale the interior with the numerous available leather covered components. If you throw caution to the wind, you can probably add $15K to $20K with interior options.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:31 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that the colors have to work to draw the eye onto the whole. Justin at Brandywine insists that the console I bought and installed is Aluminum look directly from Porsche... though it is a dead ringer for the Arctic Silver of the exterior. The painted rear center console adds a element of structural strength by bringing the exterior's structure inside the cabin... analogous to massive support beams exposed in a high ceiling home. They combine to create more than the sum of the parts.

And, Toomey, let me assure you that your center console looks kick ***, completes the whole, and is anything but cheap looking. Stellar look.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 05-22-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is precisely why Porsches have appealed to me since I bought my first one at age 19. They are generally a better judge of what looks good than I am. I remember very well the day the 1974 Porsche 911 came out and I thought, what an ugly bumper treatment with that bellows arrangement! In no time it grew on me and I came to recognize that Porsche was often leading the pack on design. Of course, once in a while even Porsche can screw up. Even with my CS Cab on order, I just couldn't bring myself to go with paint there,--I ended up going with wood. I think it can accent a cabriolet nicely with the right colors,--or can be terrible! This is where an excellent salesman and dealership can keep you from making a costly mistake. This is what Porsche is all about,--customizing it to suit a broad spectrum of buyers. Makassar is fine for me,--with the exterior paint and the natural brown interior I'm going with.

Dan

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (custom Ferrari Racing Blue)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar
XLF Sport Exhaust System
XRP 5mm Whl Spacers
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
482 TPMS
498 Delete Model Designation
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery
Old 02-01-2006, 11:40 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Johnny, yours has to be the best looking painted center console that I've seen. It obviously complements the other aluminum look trim pieces in the S version of the 997. So does it look just like the inside door handles, the shifter front trim, the vents, etc. in color? If so, it fits perfectly with the interior trim, and isn't necessarily the exterior color being brought back inside.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:48 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Johnny, yours has to be the best looking painted center console that I've seen. It obviously complements the other aluminum look trim pieces in the S version of the 997. So does it look just like the inside door handles, the shifter front trim, the vents, etc. in color? If so, it fits perfectly with the interior trim, and isn't necessarily the exterior color being brought back inside.
Good point Ben... kinda does tie in with other elements of the interior. Damn. Foiled by the fickle finger of fate again. Oh well, I did enjoy the opportunity to use my "exposed ceiling beam" analogy for the 51 seconds that it lasted. Guess I'll have to save that one for another time.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by STATMAN
Also, I have seen recent Corvettes with this treatment.
My C5 Vette has this but it was only available on the convertible and only in the vertical area between the two seats. The console is interior color.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Oh well, I did enjoy the opportunity to use my "exposed ceiling beam" analogy for the 51 seconds that it lasted. Guess I'll have to save that one for another time.
LOL ... Actually I missed it altogether the first time around. But it's a good one. Save it for next time, and maybe add something along the line that modern architectural designs often use exposed steel beams....
Old 02-02-2006, 12:06 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I have never cared for the painted center console. When ever I see one I think "cheap looking." While I know you have to pay extra for that, the look reminds me of the "entry level" cars of the 60's when most of the interior parts (dash, door sils, etc.) were painted metal. As a kid, I guess I rode in enough "entry level" cars with painted interiors to convince me that I never want to see painted interior parts again.

IMO, Toomy's full leather (including center console) looks AWESOME!
Old 02-02-2006, 12:17 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not a fan of the painted console (just my taste, but style is certainly individualistic). However, Johnny's sure looks nice. I like modern and industrial design, so I do agree it brings in a look of strength to his interior.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen

Is this trend recent, btw? Have 993's or 996's been seen with this option? Anybody ever see it in a BMW, a Ferrari, etc.?
996's definitely, don't know if 993 console had enough surface area to bother with painting or otherwise messing with it.

Props to Johnny's ceiling beam analogy, I was thinking exposed brick or stone interior wall, looks good if it's done right. More often than not I have to agree with Ben- painted consoles look too austere & cold.

Slate metallic console w/ black interior is slick....I think slate console/terracotta works - that inferno needs some chillin. Saw a seal grey console that looked damn good with stone grey leather, but the white in cocoa is not happening.
It's a racing thing, Ferrari has used the metal tunnel for 50 years, check out this '61 Testarossa

Here's the F360..imo compliments the interior better than Porsche's equivalent setup, maybe cuz the F shifter hardware is like fine jewelry in terms of quality as opposed to our beloved painted plastic .

Ferrari 250GT for toomey....entire connolly cattle clan volunteered... this is console in leather !!!

Last edited by stan523; 02-02-2006 at 10:44 AM. Reason: mod
Old 02-02-2006, 10:19 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other thing about the painted rear center console? Unlike the car's paint color, if someday you decide you don't like it you can easily change it back to stock. Also a good selling/buying point for cars with them.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:24 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I'd go leather before painted exterior color for sure.
I second that one too. Painting the center or anything inside the Porsche is just plain cheezy. I mean what is this show "Unique Whips"
Old 02-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Sands
Instructor

I'm not a big fan of painted interior parts. That said, I think Johnny' s car looks absolutely spectacular, as does Toomey's. I guess I just have to see it to really decide. I like the serenity of my simple, monochromatic interior.
Old 02-02-2006, 11:29 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Sands
I like the serenity of my simple, monochromatic interior.
Mee Too. I loooooooooooove that aspect of my car.

Quick Reply: Opinions Solicited on Center Consoles Painted Exterior Color