Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Old 01-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Hi Avenchia...
First of all, let me just say that your car is a beauty,...although Speed Yellow is naturally the preferred color for these cars!
Second, welcome to our forum.
Third, thanks for posting the sat radio stuff. Not for me (I eaither listen to the motor or the local classical stations or both!). That being said, there are a ton of PCM owners out there that are dying to get sat radio added to their 911 experience. Your posts prove the theory!
Old 01-29-2006, 02:01 AM
avenchia
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Coochas. I thought I'd share my experience so others could get Sat radio, if they wished. At least those of us in Southen Cal. Good luck to those elsewhere. I'm sure that other independent audio shops will figure this out soon. Or Porsche will finally include it as an option.

To rjmaclean - I did see your car there yesterday. I arrived about 11 AM and they were starting to take your car apart. Hope you like your Sirius as much as I'm enjoying my XM.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:14 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by avenchia
I'm sure that other independent audio shops will figure this out soon. .
Forget the shops. In the absence of my tech convincing me otherwise, which will be a hard sell at this point, Monday I am ordering the parts and I am doing this myself.

Avenchia, thank you for posting your success. I hope you stay active on the Board.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:01 PM
littlebigfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Forget the shops. In the absence of my tech convincing me otherwise, which will be a hard sell at this point, Monday I am ordering the parts and I am doing this myself.

Avenchia, thank you for posting your success. I hope you stay active on the Board.
Awesome. Can't wait for the details.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:05 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Ona related note, I picked up my new 2006 Cayenne S a few days ago. This car was built without SAT radio and this was not acceptable. My rep at Pioneer Porsche in San Diego said that they can install the factory Sirius or XM for $2k. I negotiated it down to $990 and it works perfect. I wouldn't buy a car without it.

Now, if only I can replace the 6 CD changer with an iPod hook-up... In this mp3 world, the 6 CD changer is one useless option.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mvd
Ona related note, I picked up my new 2006 Cayenne S a few days ago. This car was built without SAT radio and this was not acceptable. My rep at Pioneer Porsche in San Diego said that they can install the factory Sirius or XM for $2k. I negotiated it down to $990 and it works perfect. I wouldn't buy a car without it.
They installed it per the AfterSales information (partially) posted on page 2 of this thread.

Originally Posted by mvd
Now, if only I can replace the 6 CD changer with an iPod hook-up... In this mp3 world, the 6 CD changer is one useless option.
You may want to search rennlist (especially the Cayenne forum) for 'dension' for the latest update on their Porsche MOST iPod adapter.
Their latest report is sometime in March, $600. It's only been since January 2005 they've been promising it, who knows, they may actually pull it out the hat.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:57 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Keep us posted 1080i - I know you will. I'm eager to tackle this install too!

Thanks for the info avenchia. I KNEW the Cayenne unit would work!
Old 01-29-2006, 09:00 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Very interesting development....Learning somthing new each day.

I'am curious as to how an audio shop could "code" the module to the PCM without a PIWIS tester.

I'am under the impression that you cannot just plug a module into the MOST loup and it will be recognized and work.

Any P Tech's that could chime in???
Old 01-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

admittedly: Actually, Dension has been "promising" it since 2004. In 2004 I installed IceLink in my 993 (into the Bird center console), BUT with a CDR-220 it only provides basic on-off-forward-reverse-pause level control. I haven't yet purchased from Scott in LaJolla, but I talked to him more than a year ago about getting iPod control in my Cayenne and he said he was going to try when he got some time. He emailed me last month that he has installed Sat radio on 2005 models, and is working on the iPod fix. I sent back a request about 2004 models and he responded that it will work. Quoted $2,000. San Diego is still a long hump even from NoCal (admittedly closer than NY. though).
Old 01-29-2006, 09:21 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1080iAddict, if all goes well for your install you may want to consider a new garage business for us right coast P-car owners?
Old 01-29-2006, 09:30 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Mjones,

Several sources that wish to remain anonymous have been sending me IM's. The information has been invaluable so far so thank you to those that sent me messages. Based on the information I reviewed, the PIWIS hook-up will be required to code the PCM 2.1 once the sat components are wired into the MOST loop to "toggle" the system to see the sat component. To me this is no big deal. Suffice to say that it appears this is the semi-final step of the Cayenne dealer install. The final step is the happy phone call to the sat provider to register the unit and get service. When I talk to my tech tomorrow, I will confirm and ascertain the willingness of my tech to hook me up to PIWIS after my install and code me in with the computer.

I am assuming that PCM 2.1 is PCM 2.1, regardless of Cayenne or 997. I have never seen the PIWIS system. My sole remaining concern is that the 997 program on the PIWIS will see the sat option on the 997 and that it will be available and/or "not greyed out". Either the 997 will report that the sat component is available to be triggered or the PIWIS won't care if its a Cayenne or 997 and simply read the PCM 2.1 information (which is what I hope, because all of this seems to circle on the fact that PCM 2.1 is controlling the show - not the individual model line of car). I hope the PCM 2.1 protocol on the PIWIS will know when the MOST components are on-line and therefore give the option to turn it on when I hook up the 997. I have to assume this is how it works since this must be how the other custom shop did it.

Also, sorry you guys that don't have .mp3 capability in the cabin CD player. You are out of luck as you must have PCM 2.1. This requirement appears to be 'written' in various places in the information I have reviewed. Don't quote me but my logic dictates that statement.

- Adam
Old 01-29-2006, 09:32 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dweiser
1080iAddict, if all goes well for your install you may want to consider a new garage business for us right coast P-car owners?
Maybe! One step at a time.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

It looks like a road trip will be in order!

Dan
Old 01-29-2006, 10:57 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MJones
I'am curious as to how an audio shop could "code" the module to the PCM without a PIWIS tester.
They would need PIWIS to do this....although there are other methods (S/W download via CDROM and even over MOST directly, but this is normally a process reserved for development engineers

Originally Posted by MJones
I'am under the impression that you cannot just plug a module into the MOST loup and it will be recognized and work.
Yes and No.
The base S/W in the PAG Becker headunits already supports a CDChanger, as it is a likely option to install and easy to 'carry' the code for this.
It is likely that the latest S/W releases for PAG PCM did this for satellite as well.
If you install a non recoginized component, it will likely just be put into 'bypass' mode and ignored by the headunit.....although if you try, you can bring down a MOST ring.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

For those of you who are so inclined, on the 2nd page of this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/201429-most-interface-successfully-hacked.html
is an outline for getting an 'aux input device' onto a MOST ring.

Now remember, your headunit/steering wheel controls will not be able to communicate with the 'aux input device, as the S/W and interface simply don't exist in the headunit, but you will successfully introduce the audio from the 'aux input device' onto the ring and to the amplifier and finally the speakers.

Not cheap, but it's done on lab benches everyday.....that's how bored design engineers connect their iPods to MOST networks while they're playing in the lab....and sometimes in a car or two

This post will self destruct in 5 seconds....good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!