8.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel Choice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:20 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben: I love your "with no unsightly wart"! It reminds me of my daughter, who orders her pepperoni pizza "with no cheese."

Anyway, thanks for all you do for this forum - it truly wouldn't be the same without your posts.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Geez guys this poll is SKEWED big time. The S COMES with the lobster forks, so lots of guys didn't CHOOSE them, they just went with what Porsche suggested. Guys who did not like LFs put in the extra effort and money to get other wheels.

Does this make sense? Since the results are 50-50 (Lf and CClassics) it's telling that people favor the non LF more than the LFs.

IMO, it seems likely significantly more people DIS-like the Lobster Forks enough to get something else than actually like them and decide to keep them. The others are simply not bothered by them and just go along with what's on the car. Of course "not bothered by" is a far cry from "liking" them.

Conclusion (Porsche are you listening?) the LForks are not a styling success. Is this a reasonable conclusion?

I personally never liked them
The lobster forks, to me, are both an instant recognition of a 997S but also immediately 'date' a car. I have always sided with the classic look, e.g., the Fuchs alloy, etc., that was long popular. Fortunately, since Porsche has elected to go with cast instead of forged rims, the price to change over to another design is mere pennies compared to years ago. Anyone remember the cookie cutters, and later the phone dials? The phone dials were a terrible design that failed miserably! (I would have hated to have been the young Porsche design engineer tasked with a design and came up with those,--no one wanted them either!).

Dan
Old 01-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
..IMO, it seems likely significantly more people DIS-like the Lobster Forks enough to get something else than actually like them and decide to keep them... Conclusion (Porsche are you listening?) the LForks are not a styling success. Is this a reasonable conclusion?

I personally never liked them
You post implies that the lobster forks were a marketing succe$$ for Porsche. So your conclusion is not reasonable.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Classic" wheels on a model A had wooden spokes.
The Austin Healy had wire wheels with knok-off spinners.
The 356 had painted metal wheels with chrome hub caps.
I would never dream of ever changing them.

Now, Porsche gave us a brand new car. The best car they ever produced. And they went to the trouble of designing brand new wheels for a specific model only.
One look and there is no mistaking it for a 993 or Boxter , or 996 or 997 .
It's the Carrera 997 ESSS.
And that's why I have them on mine .( That, and the fact that I happen to agree with Porsche that they look great and are fairly easy to clean . Lol )
Old 01-10-2006, 11:17 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger

FWIW, They're not really exclusive because you can get them as an option on the non-S.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD
FWIW, They're not really exclusive because you can get them as an option on the non-S.
Actually , they are.
Just because a dealer is free to sell them to anyone who walks in off the street( even a Yugo owner Lol ) does not change that fact.

Besides, my wife also likes them . In fact ,she likes the whole car.
She claims it reminds her of me (Sporty , masculine and a great looking ***) The only difference according to her is that the car gets to have PMS and I don't . Lol )
Old 01-10-2006, 01:53 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
"Classic" wheels on a model A had wooden spokes.
The Austin Healy had wire wheels with knok-off spinners.
The 356 had painted metal wheels with chrome hub caps.
I would never dream of ever changing them.

Now, Porsche gave us a brand new car. The best car they ever produced. And they went to the trouble of designing brand new wheels for a specific model only.
And that's why I have them on mine .( That, and the fact that I happen to agree with Porsche that they look great and are fairly easy to clean . Lol )
That's is a good arguement and you almost had me sold, except for two small details.

1. Sadly, Porsche decided to offer the lobster claw wheels as standard on the Boxster S (see the pic below)

2. Cleaning the lobster claw portion is going to be a lot harder than cleaning the Carrera Classic wheel because you don't have anything you have to jam your finger or brush into. This was the key reason I got optional wheels for the first time in my life.

Overall, I've got to commend Porsche though because I could live with and enjoy any wheel they offer for the 997, so they've done a great job of providing a great selection.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Man those lobster forks look awsome on that Lobster S!
Old 01-11-2006, 12:57 AM
icruze
Racer

I've changed my mind on the wheels alot. When I was first determining what wheels to order, I thought the Sport Design was the best looking and coolest choice bar none. It wasn't even close. Then as time went on, I began to see them as looking too busy and detracting from the look of the car. I then decided on the Carrera Classic's sleek looks. But then I thought the Carrerra Classic was somewhat dated and didn't distinguish itself enough from previous models (I guess that's why they call them Classics). So I ended up back with the good old lobster forks. This is what happens when you order a car and have too much time to think. If I get tired of them they can be relegated to easy to clean winter wheel status and I'll buy a non-oem set a rims.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:10 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You really hit that on the head,--if you're a long time waiter you can vacillate a lot!

Dan
Old 01-11-2006, 04:12 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by icruze
I've changed my mind on the wheels alot. When I was first determining what wheels to order, I thought the Sport Design was the best looking and coolest choice bar none. It wasn't even close. Then as time went on, I began to see them as looking too busy and detracting from the look of the car. I then decided on the Carrera Classic's sleek looks. But then I thought the Carrerra Classic was somewhat dated and didn't distinguish itself enough from previous models (I guess that's why they call them Classics). So I ended up back with the good old lobster forks. This is what happens when you order a car and have too much time to think. If I get tired of them they can be relegated to easy to clean winter wheel status and I'll buy a non-oem set a rims.
That's reasonable logic. Despite the Carerra Classics being slightly different (and larger) from the previous 5 spokes that have been done in recent years, I have my moments when I think I should have stuck with the lobster claws too. However, I still love these rims and the slight change for the 997 was just enough to make me go for it. I just hate that the standard 18 rims look very much like them.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Ronmart,--Please post pictures when that beast arrives in February!

Dan
Old 01-11-2006, 02:17 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Ronmart,--Please post pictures when that beast arrives in February!

Dan

Pictures? Hell, I'm going to have a shrine that rivals Dave's (Coochas)! I just found out last night that my baby was born on 12/22 and hopefully will be on a ship within the next 10 days. It was ordered on 10/17 (offically on 10/20), so I'm getting so excited I can't hardly sleep!!!!

Oh and I even got a VIN!!!! Stuttgart build baby!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

A VIN no less?? You ARE on the fast track. I'm guessing I'm ages from a real VIN !

Dan
Old 01-13-2006, 01:40 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
A VIN no less?? You ARE on the fast track. I'm guessing I'm ages from a real VIN !

Dan
I'd hardly call it fast. I ordered on 10/17/05 (and it was approved by PCNA a few days later). It has been a long and painful wait.

Quick Reply: Wheel Choice