Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

guys...did I make a mistake on my wheel selection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 11:54 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default guys...did I make a mistake on my wheel selection?

I am having serious second thoughts on wheel selection. Here is my car config:

BASE Porsche Base Model
E7 Atlas Grey Metallic
V9 Black Top
AT Black Full Leather
P01L Adaptive Sport Sts Lthr Int
267 Self Dimming Mirrors
342 Heated Front Seats
407 19" Sport Design Wheel
431 3-Spoke Str Whl Multifctn lthr
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes - PCCB
635 Parking Assist System (wife precaution system)
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus
670 Navigation for PCM
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
XSC Porsche Crest in Headrest
XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum
X70 Metal Door Sill Model Insignia

and... if rumor is true....

Option XLF, Sport Exhaust (waiting to confirm with Dealer)

On the wheels.... went with the 19" Sport Design Wheel. But as I browse the Board i just don't see this wheel that much and I started to like the Carerra S Wheel. Gut instinct.... it was the Sport Design. But now that I keep looking at internet pix, I am thinking Carrera S.

I am opting for the PCCB. I love the yellow Calipers (and the lack of break dust and performance enhancements is the side benefit ) and the Carrera S certainly makes the calipers more visible. The Sport Design, on the other hand, is certainly a 'busy' wheel but it wont be a b!tch to clean since I opted for the PCCB and it adds some flair imho.

Hence... deadlocked. I had a 993. I had whatever the standard wheel was for MY1996 and those wheels were boring. So now I am on the family history thread. Does the Carrera S somehow track classic Porsche through the years or is it simply a mattter of taste from body style to body style? Looking for the right answer here.

I value the opinions on the Board. I don't want to make a mistake.

- Adam
Old 04-23-2005, 12:09 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never fell in love with the Carerra S wheels. It's about year later of seeing them everywhere and I still don't have any fondness for them. Strange, because you'd think the new look would grow on you if Porsche design dept knew something you didn't a year ago. But, nope, I think those wheels are destined to be duds. I seem to remember there were some forgettable wheels in Porsche's past, aren't there?

Maybe just bite the bullet and get the $4000 Ruf wheels. They're gorgeous.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Wheels are very much personal choice, so everyone will have their own opinions, and you should get what YOU like.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the sport design. I have the Carrera S wheels. I've also had the bug to get aftermarket wheels and have spent a LOT of time looking trying to find something I really like (don't want to rush and be sorry). While many seem to dislike the Carrera S wheel, personally I kinda like them - even to the point I often question why I would want to spend the bucks to change them - but they are different and I think the majority don't like them.

If you think you might prefer aftermarket, try and line something up before you take delivery so you can swap a brand new set of wheels out for the aftermarkets.
Old 04-23-2005, 12:24 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jcnesq
If you think you might prefer aftermarket, try and line something up before you take delivery so you can swap a brand new set of wheels out for the aftermarkets.
That is SO not happening. Maybe a year after delivery. With all the options and PCCB on top of that, what I order is what I get, or I get divorced. This is why I am so intent on making the right choice.

jcnesq... you should appreciate your wheels. I may get them!
Old 04-23-2005, 12:51 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Get the S and the Sport wheels! They'll stand the test of time. Imagine the poor BMW sales guys trying to sell the new 5 series saying.."it'll grow on you over time" . It's all about about emotion... evolved into passion!
Old 04-23-2005, 01:02 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

MMD - The Ruf wheels are way up on my list. Basically I keep thinking about the Rufs, HRE540R's, and maybe a Kinesis wheel. The bonus is the Ruf wheels can be bought for $3,300 right now from Weissach at their intro price - much cheaper than HRE's and Kinesis. Anyone else have opinions about the Ruf's?

1080iAddict: Understand about the wife issue and obviously it makes sense to end up happy with what you start with on the car, not cheap to change. I thought there was no way my wife would let me get wheels, but we met for lunch near Wheel Enhancement a couple weeks ago and I conned her into coming over to look at wheels. She almost wanted to swap her Cayenne S wheels (and of course I said "Sure, Honey"), but I think I have her set up so I can get away with new wheels if I ever decide what I want.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:13 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Jim, this is hillerious. lunch near Wheel Enhancement . Wht do we have to do to convience them t o spend our own money (sorry OUR money)
Old 04-23-2005, 01:29 AM
texas911
Race Car

Go with the standard 18" wheels. The 19's on mine ride very very rough, even in non sport mode. And the 18s weigh less and reportedly handle better because of it. Plus they should be easier to clean, the 19s are a big pain.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:36 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silverrules
Jim, this is hillerious. lunch near Wheel Enhancement . Wht do we have to do to convience them t o spend our own money (sorry OUR money)
There's a rib "joint" on the corner a block from Wheel Enhancement, a little hole in the wall with great food I discovered while getting a tire changed at Wheel Enhancement. I'd been telling my wife about it since one of her work locations is not far from there. And yes, I admit this was all a "setup" when I told her "Hey, why don't I meet you at that rib joint I've been mentioning!
Old 04-23-2005, 01:50 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL
Old 04-23-2005, 06:14 AM
Dilinger
Intermediate

Guys Hi, welcome me to this forum, most of you i know from other forums..

1080Addict, congrads for your choice, i take you 997 will be a cab??

Your configuration is very weel i i'd say..

"XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum
X70 Metal Door Sill Model Insignia"

How does the foot rest look like from Porsche? never seen it, do they also have metal pedals??

with metal door Sill model insignia you mean aluminium entry?with carrera logo?

i too own the base model, but with all that expensive specs you went, i keep wondering why you didnt opt for the "S" version..

My thoughts about wheels,
I have the 18" wheels and too thinking to move on 19" altough cost will be much greater for retrofit as i ll come to keep the original 18"

I m searching for a long time for a person who has the carrera base model and moved from 18' to 19'. It is important to me to have a personal opinion about the differences in handling acceleration feel that the 19' will bring to the game...

At first i was impresses with sport design, although as time passed i realized their design lack innovation.They are nice but we ve seen them before in other cars also.That style is not so new,whereas the Carrera Classic 19" look nice but not so differentiated from the original 18"s. So that leaves us with the Carrera S wheels, which i admit in the beginning did not impress me at all. But as time passed i again admit i fell in love with them....Now i just adore the Carrera S wheels, but thats totally based on personal taste...
I must warn you though that all upgraded 987 boxstres can have as an option the carrera S wheels but not the sport design or the carrera classics. That makes them more rare, as they wont be seen in any boxster. I dont know how you would feel,if a near boxster featured the same design wheels with your 997.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:30 AM
Persuader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

QUOTE: "I must warn you though that all upgraded 987 boxstres can have as an option the carrera S wheels but not the sport design or the carrera classics."

Hi Dilenger the porsche car configerator in England for the Boxster shows all three wheels available as options.

Regards
Old 04-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Dilinger
Intermediate

Persuader,

I GUESS YOU ARE RIGHT!! i ve never seen it before ,and i thought it was not possible
Old 04-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Go with the stock wheels and dump the aluminum dead pedal (if that IS what XXZ Foot Rest Aluminum is). You can always get a set of wheels later on if you fall in love with something. As for the pedals, get a set of Carnewal, RUF, or Rennline's to replace/cover ALL the original pedals.

Looks to be a beautiful car, congrats!!
Old 04-23-2005, 10:03 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Sport designs suck...Get the Clasics they look great and are easy to keep clean. I am stating to like the S wheels a bit more but still to busy for me....

My 19's ride fine and i swapped 18's out for them...

Quick Reply: guys...did I make a mistake on my wheel selection?