Help - something is wrong with my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Help - something is wrong with my car

Dealer isn't open until Monday and something really bad is wrong with my car. I was driving home (1 1/2 hour drive) going about 70 when the car started lurching slightly. Didn't think much about it until I got off the highway. In lower gears, the lurching became really bad. Instead of moving smoothly as I accelerated, the tach would jump forward and the car was lurching front to back. If I held the acclerater steady, the tach would just fluctuate up and down. It seemed to get really bad just as I got home. There also seemed to be a bad smell coming from the engine.

Any ideas? I can't believe I have to wait until Monday for someone to look at it. I'm afraid to drive to the dealership because it seemed like it was getting worse.

Car is a 2006 997 coupe just past the break in period.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Uhhh, you could start to by deleting one of the duplicate threads you started here on the same subject.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:45 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the help Ben. I had it in another area and the moderator moved it here. I posted in two forums because I'm looking for some help and the 997 forum can get empty on saturday night.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Did you get any warning lights? How was the temp and oil pressure during the drive?
Anything dripping on the garage floor now? Do you have a Tip or stick?
Not that I have any brilliant insight here but I figure a few more details might help set off some lightbulbs.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:07 PM
OCBen
Banned

Oh. Have you tried to delete it yourself by hitting the "Edit/Delete Message" icon (the one that looks like a sheet of paper & a pencil)? I know it works for deleting posts, not sure if works for deleting the thread. (Never mind, I see you've done that.)

But anyway, as for your problem, sounds like you'll need to have it towed to the dealership. I wouldn't attempt to drive it like that.

You'll need to be a little more precise in your description of the problem. When you say your tach is fluctuating up and down, what you really mean is that the engine is racing up and down when you hold the accelerator steady, right?

1. Does it seem like an external source is revving the engine, as if the electronics are out of control causing the engine to race? And if so, does the engine rev smoothly when this happens?

2. If not, does it feel like the engine is missing (losing power) when it does this? If so, does it sound like it could possibly be something in the fuel delivery?

3. When you say the car is "lurching front to back" you mean that it is lurching forward in spurts when you're moving forward, right? You certainly don't mean that it's like some poltergeist has possessed your car, right, though you might have your doubts at the moment I'm sure?

4. Also, did you happen to see what happens when you engaged the clutch? Sounds like your engine would race up and down if I'm beginning to understand your problem.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Uh yeah, talk about the 997 forum being empty on a Saturday night. ... Did you empty out of here already, 1957 356?
Old 12-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Moved over to another board to get some advice. I'm starting to think it's ignition related. I experienced something similar with a BMW that I had and it was the ignition coils. It feels like it misses and then fires and jumps forward.

No error messages, all the oil reads are good. The smell also makes me think it's ignition related.

I think you're right Ben, I'm going to have the dealer come get it on Monday.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:52 PM
OCBen
Banned

Well, good luck. Hope it's nothing more serious than ignition coils. ... You'll just have to drive your 356 more now. It looks really sharp in your avatar there.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

I wish it was my 1957 356. It was my Dad's. He owned it in 57. First of several P-cars in the family. He got rid of it when I was about 10 but that was the start of the obsession for me. That picture is from the year he bought it. If you look closely, you can almost make out the dent he put in the door
Old 12-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Dealer isn't open until Monday and something really bad is wrong with my car. I was driving home (1 1/2 hour drive) going about 70 when the car started lurching slightly. Didn't think much about it until I got off the highway. In lower gears, the lurching became really bad. Instead of moving smoothly as I accelerated, the tach would jump forward and the car was lurching front to back. If I held the acclerater steady, the tach would just fluctuate up and down. It seemed to get really bad just as I got home. There also seemed to be a bad smell coming from the engine.

Any ideas? I can't believe I have to wait until Monday for someone to look at it. I'm afraid to drive to the dealership because it seemed like it was getting worse.

Car is a 2006 997 coupe just past the break in period.

First things,--Tiptronic or 6-speed?

Bad smell? The smell of something overheated? Burning? Where is the smell coming from? Present inside the cockpit? Worse when continuing to drive?

Any updates?

dan
Old 12-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

6 speed and yes the smell of something burning coming from the engine. I haven't driven the car since Saturday night. I did start it and everything seemed okay which is really confusing. I'm going to drive it before work tomorrow and see what happens before I call the dealer. I'll post an update tomorrow after i speak to the dealer.

Sean
Old 12-04-2005, 11:40 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Clutch failure?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:53 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Good luck at the shop. Let us know the outcome!

Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 07:19 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

If you recntly got a gas fillup, it could be something as simple as bad gas.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:21 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a bad coilpack to me. Hopefully the'yll take care of you!

Quick Reply: Help - something is wrong with my car