Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Clutch failure?

That's what I'm worried about.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds more like a bad coil pack or MAF. Could even be a faulty fuel pump.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:41 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be anythng, including a bad tank of gas, improper MAF connection,intake leak, bad plug, and on and on. However, one thing is certain, whatever it is, the dealer will identify it as problem that can be corrected by you giving them LOTS of money. Don't forget the K-Y.

I would first remove the MAF connector and put it back on, reset the computer by disconnecting the negative on the battery for 2 minutes. Make sure the intake is secure.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No money required on a warranty fix.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:55 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by OCBen
No money required on a warranty fix.

True ONLY if the dealer identifies the problem as covered by warranty. That is highly unlikely that they will. It is also highly unlikely that their first recommended fix (which will cost you money) will NOT resolve the problem.

If it's not an easily identifiable problem, my guess is they will recommend new plugs for several hundred dollars and probably a new MAF for another $500. Then they will see that the cause is a loose hose or wire and won't tell you about it.

I love being a cynic! LOL!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:21 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow, 1999Porsche911 how has your experience with the 996 been?

I spoke to the dealer today and they seem to think it's coil/ignition related. He mentioned something about cracks developing in the coils and moisture getting in. I'm having it towed to the dealership on Wednesday (we've got snow coming tonight/tomorrow morning). I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but I didn't know that roadside assistance came with the car . I guess I should read the documentation. The dealer said just call 1-800-Porsche and they'll come pick it up.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Wow, 1999Porsche911 how has your experience with the 996 been?

I spoke to the dealer today and they seem to think it's coil/ignition related. He mentioned something about cracks developing in the coils and moisture getting in. I'm having it towed to the dealership on Wednesday (we've got snow coming tonight/tomorrow morning). I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but I didn't know that roadside assistance came with the car . I guess I should read the documentation. The dealer said just call 1-800-Porsche and they'll come pick it up.
I haven't had any problems with the 996. (knock on wood) and I do my own work anyway. However, I wouldn't trust a dealer to properly diagnosis an "out of fuel" condition unless I personally knew the tech. That's not to say that ALL techs are morons, but most are IMO. Many have about as much knowledge of the cars they work on as the pictures in the repair manual will show them. In the case of Porsche, so few have ever even torn an engine apart.

It just pisses me off when I see people ripping others off.. Identify the problem and charge what is normal. Don't simply start replacing parts at the customer's expense, hoping you stumble upon the fix.

The point is, either find a mechanic you can trust or at minimum, verify any and all recommnedation by the dealer. And ALWAYS bring K-Y whenever you go to the dealer.

Good luck and let us know what they say.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:45 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
... I wouldn't trust a dealer to properly diagnosis an "out of fuel" condition unless I personally knew the tech. That's not to say that ALL techs are morons, but most are IMO. Many have about as much knowledge of the cars they work on as the pictures in the repair manual will show them. In the case of Porsche, so few have ever even torn an engine apart.
I strongly disagree with your sour grapes assessment. Don't categorically judge the entire lot of Porsche Techs based on your personal experience. In my experience I've been impressed with the knowledge of Porsche Techs and have had excellent experiences with their service. And knowing how important it is to Porsche that their techs be fully trained and highly competent, I would say my experience is more in line with the overwhelming majority of cases.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:59 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by OCBen
I strongly disagree with your sour grapes assessment. Don't categorically judge the entire lot of Porsche Techs based on your personal experience. In my experience I've been impressed with the knowledge of Porsche Techs and have had excellent experiences with their service. And knowing how important it is to Porsche that their techs be fully trained and highly competent, I would say my experience is more in line with the overwhelming majority of cases.
I have no sour grapes because I have never been ripped off by a dealer. I have, however, seen 100's of examples of incompetant techs who turn out to be nothing more than part replacers; most who don't even know the function of the part, synic 90 temps or replacing the MAF because the repair manual says it is ALWAY the MAF when your car idles improperly; car owners need to either educate themselves on the mechanics of their car or find a tech that they can trust.

Hats off to those techs who actually know what they are doing.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Porsche has been working for many years now to repair that bad image in the service side of things that caused so many of us to move to competent independent garages over the years. One great stress factor in my life was always finding a competent mechanic to work on my relatively exotic Porsche. (It wasn't quite stock). So, for several cities throughout the USA I have located extremely first rate shops. In the meantime, I'm hoping my new 997S Cab won't need anything at all!

Dan
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

Sorry to hear that was the case in the past. Sure glad they've made significant improvements in service that has benefited us newer owners of Porsches (4+ yrs for me).
Old 12-05-2005, 08:32 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a nearly new car under full warranty. Anyone who is suggesting that you try to repair it yourself is giving you bad advice. Attempts to diagnose the problem by shade tree mechanics over the internet may be well intentioned, but are subject to gross error. Get it flatbedded to the dealer with the roadside assistance you are entitled to and have them put it to rights. You also get a loaner car while they correct the problem. It should'nt cost you a dime, other than the gas you use in the loaner.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:47 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
That's not to say that ALL techs are morons, but most are IMO. Many have about as much knowledge of the cars they work on as the pictures in the repair manual will show them. In the case of Porsche, so few have ever even torn an engine apart.
Over the years, I've developed the habit of getting to know service writers, techs, service managers and the area tech reps. It's been my experience that with a little effort on your part that when you get to know these folks and display a genuine interest in what they do, they can’t do enough for you.

If you get good treatment--let them know you appreciate it. When you think a tech has been especially helpful, shake his (or her) hand, look them in the eye and let them know how grateful you are for their competence, courtesy, professionalism and enthusiasm.

After a good service, write a letter to the regional or US manager naming the individuals who helped you,. I usually stop at Krispy Kreme and bring in a dozen (maybe two) doughnuts for the tech and the one or two that work next to him. Introduce yourself and let them know that you are glad to have met them. You never know who might be working if your regular guy isn’t in some day and you need some help.

Try some of these things and see if you don’t get the red carpet rolled out the next time you show up for service. I’ve been told by several techs and service writers, that letters to the head man really make their day. Think about it, what they do is hard work and they’re under the gun a lot of times just like we are. When you can put a smile on someone’s face that’s helped you out think of how many others you may have helped.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

That's excellent advice, Joe. And a nice example to set for all of us.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:37 PM
doc j
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what did the problem turn out to be?
something similar happened to me once... same type of lurching when accelerating. when i got home, there was some plastic bag-type material that had somehow completely covered one of the left exhaust pipes. after i removed it, she ran fine.

-J

Quick Reply: Help - something is wrong with my car