Sponsored by:

Carrera S vs m3

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:42 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
All 911's are sports cars, all m3 are sedans.
True, but isn't it amazing the performance that BMW gets out of the M3 at 40K less than a 911.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:54 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Any thread about horsepower, and which make and model can whup another, is bound to be full of testosterone and heated arguments, and as a result long winded. I was at the Irwindale Dragstrip last night on Street Car racing night with my buddy who wanted to test his street legal racing slicks on his Z06. This is where arguments about whose car is faster are quickly settled in a matter of seconds, literally. This is where guys (and a few girls last night) put up or STFU. I had a blast. There were all kinds of cars, trucks, and vans being raced, including the "Racing Toaster", the announcer's description for a Scion box car.

Anyway, what struck me was this one brand-new-looking yellow C6 Corvette. It wasn't the car that caught my attention (though it was sharp looking) but the fact that he raced with his girlfriend in the passenger seat (apparently they allow passengers). As the car was coming back after his run and he pulled around in front of us I glanced inside and laughed out loud when I saw what is generally regarded in this forum as the stereotypical Corvette owner. Here was this guy, probably in his late 30s, with a Fonz look about him: a subtle pompadour, a black leather racing jacket, a demeanor that suggests he would be proud to call himself a high school graduate. His girlfriend with bleach blonde hair was kinda good looking, though she looked more like a Vegas show girl. I'm sure it was unintentional on their part, but to me they sure had this retro "Frankie & Johnny" look about them that made me crack up and probably made them wonder why I was laughing so.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:07 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast1
Build quality is also quite good. Make no mistake, it is not a "sports car". Some may say neither is a 997. I have a 97 993 which IS a sports car. no driver aids, cupholders, viscaral and demanding when driven hard.

So by your strict definition, a F1 car isn't a sports car because it is loaded down with driver aids. To me the 997 is the quintessential sports cars.
I would say that compared to pre-driver aide F1 cars, the new F1 cars are very tame. I have an interview with MS and JV when they're being asked about traction control, driver aides, etc. and the true spirit of the sport of F1. The conclusion was, it's very easy to drive the new cars compared to the old, and that DOES take some of the sport out of it.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well the E36 M3 was touted as the 911 killer when it came out in 94. That's the 286hp version, not the US watered down one. I had one in Europe for a year and it was fast...esp on the Nurburgring. I managed under 9.05 with it on a rare cool sunny day. Of course the real drivers hit under 9 without too much perspiration but it was fast. The advantage of the M3 is the dual personality, a caged tiger doing supermarket runs with the kids and golf sets and a trackworthy car if needed. I tried the E46 M3 but didn't like the handling feedback as much... loved the SMG though. I'm actually amazed when people tell me they are faster with a manual than an SMG.
The more sporty by design 997 is definitely the faster car for most tracks, but if we were talking the ultimate budget track car, I'd jump at the Lotus Elise. Slap a roll cage and slicks and watch out.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by OCBen
Any thread about horsepower, and which make and model can whup another, is bound to be full of testosterone and heated arguments, and as a result long winded. I was at the Irwindale Dragstrip last night on Street Car racing night with my buddy who wanted to test his street legal racing slicks on his Z06. This is where arguments about whose car is faster are quickly settled in a matter of seconds, literally. This is where guys (and a few girls last night) put up or STFU. I had a blast. There were all kinds of cars, trucks, and vans being raced, including the "Racing Toaster", the announcer's description for a Scion box car.

Anyway, what struck me was this one brand-new-looking yellow C6 Corvette. It wasn't the car that caught my attention (though it was sharp looking) but the fact that he raced with his girlfriend in the passenger seat (apparently they allow passengers). As the car was coming back after his run and he pulled around in front of us I glanced inside and laughed out loud when I saw what is generally regarded in this forum as the stereotypical Corvette owner. Here was this guy, probably in his late 30s, with a Fonz look about him: a subtle pompadour, a black leather racing jacket, a demeanor that suggests he would be proud to call himself a high school graduate. His girlfriend with bleach blonde hair was kinda good looking, though she looked more like a Vegas show girl. I'm sure it was unintentional on their part, but to me they sure had this retro "Frankie & Johnny" look about them that made me crack up and probably made them wonder why I was laughing so.

Ben,

I commend you for admitting that you have a buddy that owns a Corvette, and having gone to an event at a dragstrip. Many 911 drivers would never admit that, because ALL Corvette drivers have hairy chests, wear gold chains, and have Burt Reynolds posters in their bedrooms. You ask, how do I know that? I read it on this board.

Seriously, glad you had a good time. How fast was the Z06?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I would say that compared to pre-driver aide F1 cars, the new F1 cars are very tame. I have an interview with MS and JV when they're being asked about traction control, driver aides, etc. and the true spirit of the sport of F1. The conclusion was, it's very easy to drive the new cars compared to the old, and that DOES take some of the sport out of it.
I'm sure that's true, but would you not consider an F1 car a sports car because it has those devices?
Old 12-02-2005, 04:45 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by fast1
I'm sure that's true, but would you not consider an F1 car a sports car because it has those devices?
That's an extreme example, and I see your point. I'm just saying that any time you add driver aides and electronic gizmos designed to take the driver out of the loop, that takes away from the experience. And it makes it less of a sports car.

Taken to the other extreme, you could have a 2025 Porsche 999 that drives itself competely, so you just strap yourself in and enjoy the ride. But just because it's faster than the old cars, doesn't mean it's a better sportscar.

Obviously the 997 and other new sportscars fall somewhere between the two extremes, and it's up to each of us to decide which car offers the ideal compromise between technology and driver involvement.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:18 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Ben,

I commend you for admitting that you have a buddy that owns a Corvette, and having gone to an event at a dragstrip. Many 911 drivers would never admit that, because ALL Corvette drivers have hairy chests, wear gold chains, and have Burt Reynolds posters in their bedrooms. You ask, how do I know that? I read it on this board.

Seriously, glad you had a good time. How fast was the Z06?
Yeah, I have all kinds that I'm not ashamed (most of the time anyway) to call friends. He's a fellow Ohioan that I met at a sports bar years ago while cheering along our hapless Browns (the new Browns as opposed to the old Browns - we're both from the Cleveland area originally). I wouldn't have even struck up a conversation with him otherwise since we are so different in so many ways, but he's a really nice guy, a good friend actually - has a good heart.

I don't rag on him about his love of 'Vettes and he doesn't rag on me about my love of Porsches. I remember the day he eagerly came over shortly after my ordered car had arrived, wanting to see what this $100k+ car looked like. When he got in for the first time he was totally blown away by the fit and finish. He ran his hands over the leather dash, admired the beautiful stitching and relished the luxurious scent of quality leather, and wondered with a wide-eyed look in his face why Chevrolet can't do the same thing for the Corvette. I turned and looked at him with this irresistible grin on my face and simply said "Por - sche, there is no substitute."

But he sticks it to me everytime we go for a ride in his Z06 and he launches that beast, stressing the g-load limitations of my innards. There's no weight over the rear wheels and so it fishtails like crazy all over the place. But with the street slicks it bites a bit more, though it does hop a little when he shifts into 2nd.

So before we headed out to the dragstrip he came over so I could help him dump 5 gals of 105 octane racing fuel into his tank. Once the computer adjusted for the bump in octane - boy, what a rush!

He didn't do too well last night because the track was a bit slippery due to the dew formation that forms quickly in the So. Cal "winter" evenings here, and so he was a bit disappointed in not besting his previous times. He turned in a disappointing 8.56 (not positive, but will confirm) in the 1/8 mile strip. I have pictures of his hole shot and the posted speed that I will attach to this post when I get home tonight.
Attached Images   

Last edited by OCBen; 12-02-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:37 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

I haven't driven a Z06 yet, but it must be a beast, and quite a deal for 70,000. It is not for everyone, but it is a pretty darn amazing car for street use. I would probably kill myself in it.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:21 PM
OCBen
Banned

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have this hot-rodding streak in me that hasn't tamed down much over the years, and after a drink or two, there's no telling what can happen if I had that much power at my control, though I'd like to think I'm much wiser now.

He's modded it a bit and I don't know his exact hp rating, but I do know it's more than stock. He actually let me drive it shortly after he got it - I was the first person he let drive it, which was mighty generous of him. I gotta tell ya, it was a blast to accelerate with that beast and hear the roar of that mighty V8!
Old 12-02-2005, 07:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I haven't driven a Z06 yet, but it must be a beast, and quite a deal for 70,000. It is not for everyone, but it is a pretty darn amazing car for street use. I would probably kill myself in it.
I've driven lots of sports cars over the years, but the C6 Z06 is without question the fastest car I've ever driven. It has an insane amount of power especially for a car that weighs a little over 3000 lbs. My total time behind the wheeel was about 15 minutes in a friend's car.

The first thing I noticed about the Z06 is that you really have to focus in order to not spin wheels in any of the first five gears. The next and most important thing is to make certain that the Z06's stability system is engaged. In the drive I took the stability system was not engaged and I came real close putting the Z06 into a guard rail. My impression of the car is that it has power well beyond my limited driving ability to explore. If I bought this car the very first thing I would do is to re-enroll in some performance driving school for at least a couple of days. BTW the Z06 is a fun car to drive in a straight line. I believe that you can go 30 to 60 MPH in about the time it takes for an eye blink. I would really love to be a passenger in this car when it's driven by someone who has the skills to push it to its limits.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

Default Muscle Cars

Here's a bonus shot of a Camaro street racer doing a burn out.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2005, 09:05 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Thanks for the photos.

Quick Reply: Carrera S vs m3