Sponsored by:

Carrera S vs m3

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:06 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomias33
Funny how things are relative and subjective, eh? Why isn't the 911 S a steal and a bargain over an F430?
I don't have any experience with an F430 but I did drive a 550 Maranello and Aston Martin DB9. While I used to think of Porsche as overpriced for the performance when compared to a Corvette, I now think of the Porsche as a bargain compared to the Ferrari and Aston when driving satisfaction is the main criteria. I never thought I would think of Porsche as a value leader!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by fast1
Unless you are really lucky, chances are you are going to have to pay a Dealer markup of around $10K if you want to buy a Z06 right away. Lots of complaints on Vette forums about many guys who put deposits on Z06s about a year ago. It appears that their slots are being taken by Dealers who are selling the Zs for at least $10K over sticker. So these guys have been told that they will have to wait until sometime next year to get their cars.
Yeah, GM desperation and artifically created demand, that sounds about right.

They are selling the Solstice with 6 month waits. It's like they want you to think it's a Boxster. Of course Boxster was a genuine shortage because of very limited production facilities.

GM can produce as many cars as it wants, they're *choosing* to produce fewer numbers to make people think they are in demand.

Pretty stupid IMHO. GM should make as much money as they can while they still have a chance of making ANY money.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:40 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by fast1
Jeff - I hear you, but to me at least a part of the car driving experience is influenced by the mystique of the car I'm driving. I'm a performance car enthusiast and find something appealing about all performance cars, but to me Porsche has this certain mystique that it has earned through its rich racing history. And every time I drive a Porsche, especially some 911 model, I feel connected in some small way to that history. - Rich
While I get what you are saying, I'll add to my post this. Some folks reach a certain point in their lives/career/family situation that permits them to buy pretty much whatever, save perhaps full-on, divorce-inducing exotics. When one has the ability to own a variety of cars, and indeed cycles through a variety of cars, eventually the novelty of a particular brand wears off. Really.

What you are left with, is looks and the driving experience.

I contend that even once you strip away emblem, you are still left with one of the most compelling cars on the road today.

I drive my E36 M3 to work some days, just for a change. I don't feel inadequate or uneasy in the car, despite its rough exterior and dated styling. I like it b/c the chassis is so engaging, has such charisma. My current Porsche is like that, just amplified considerably.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:08 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"... at least a part of the car driving experience is influenced by the mystique of the car... Porsche has this certain mystique that it has earned... every time I drive a 911 model, I feel connected to that history."

Rich, very well put (pardon my paraphrasing). in my experience, the mystique is reinforced by the driving experience. it is history + design philospohy + tactile feedback + style-of-performance. I've driven 911s (& 356s) since '68. Distinct from marketing, buyers de jour, purists who always hate the latest model, & some who just won't "take yes for an answer", 911 DNA is honored in every new version (even the less-than-steller ones). It evolves, it improves, it remains a unique sports / GT - a reference standard.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:35 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMD
Yeah, GM desperation and artifically created demand, that sounds about right.

They are selling the Solstice with 6 month waits. It's like they want you to think it's a Boxster. Of course Boxster was a genuine shortage because of very limited production facilities.

GM can produce as many cars as it wants, they're *choosing* to produce fewer numbers to make people think they are in demand.

Pretty stupid IMHO. GM should make as much money as they can while they still have a chance of making ANY money.
I agree with that, trying to create artificial shortages is quite pathetic and not a marketing technique that works well in the car market. Remember Ford's new Thunderbird a few years ago? They shipped like 2 per dealer, then tried to trump up the "shortages" around the country. Once they finally started shipping them in large numbers, they didn't sell very well. (actually kind of a shame, I thought it wasn't bad, for what it was)

GM, you've made an awesome, world-class sportscar - don't cheapen it with a marketing strategy that lame!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:47 PM
CarsRGood
Advanced

Crap, I bought a 987S over an M3. It's a nice car but its not Porsche. Not talking pure performance either - its more of a road feel thing. M3 is a nice ride no doubt. More practical than the 987 but I have other cars too.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:17 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by pcar964
Remember Ford's new Thunderbird a few years ago? They shipped like 2 per dealer, then tried to trump up the "shortages" around the country.
Oh yeah, I remember that. TOTALLY pathetic. Geez, Ford must think their customers are iddiots. HUGE car mfgr that they are and they claim a shortage due to heavy demand for a certain model which no one sees routinely on the roads.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ked
"... at least a part of the car driving experience is influenced by the mystique of the car... Porsche has this certain mystique that it has earned... every time I drive a 911 model, I feel connected to that history."

Rich, very well put (pardon my paraphrasing). in my experience, the mystique is reinforced by the driving experience. it is history + design philospohy + tactile feedback + style-of-performance. I've driven 911s (& 356s) since '68. Distinct from marketing, buyers de jour, purists who always hate the latest model, & some who just won't "take yes for an answer", 911 DNA is honored in every new version (even the less-than-steller ones). It evolves, it improves, it remains a unique sports / GT - a reference standard.
Back in July 1970 I went to Watkins Glen with a friend in his Porsche. At that time I owned a '66 327 ci vette which put out 350 HP. It had solid lifters and a 1500 cfm quad Holley carb. I liked my vette since it had great straight line acceleration and handled decently, especially when compared to the other American cars that were being sold at the time. Anyway on the way back home, my friend let me drive his 911. I knew very little about Porsches except that they had a reputation for handling but weren't especially fast in a straight line, and at that time that was all that was important to me. As soon as I began to drive the 911, I knew that it was something special. I had never driven a car before that communicated with the road the way that 911 did.

So here we are 35 years later and the vette still has more HP than all but the exotic Porsches, but Porsche still provides that certain unique driving experience that its competition tries to immitate but can't quite accomplish.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:51 PM
fast1
Race Car

While I get what you are saying, I'll add to my post this. Some folks reach a certain point in their lives/career/family situation that permits them to buy pretty much whatever, save perhaps full-on, divorce-inducing exotics. When one has the ability to own a variety of cars, and indeed cycles through a variety of cars, eventually the novelty of a particular brand wears off. Really.

Jeff - After reading what you posted, my mind went back to a song that was popular in I believe 1970. The title was "Is that all there is?" At the risk of getting way too philosophical, maybe most of the pleasure in life is in the aspiration and not realization of our dreams.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:00 PM
mss8022
Track Day

[QUOTE=fast1
Jeff - After reading what you posted, my mind went back to a song that was popular in I believe 1970. The title was "Is that all there is?" At the risk of getting way too philosophical, maybe most of the pleasure in life is in the aspiration and not realization of our dreams.[/QUOTE]

I would agree except when it comes to beautiful women.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by mss8022
I would agree except when it comes to beautiful women.
LOL You got me there.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:05 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by frayed
I contend that even once you strip away emblem, you are still left with one of the most compelling cars on the road today.
As a newcomer to the marque I couldn't agree more. I was a Corvette fan since childhood so I came to Porsche without any preconceived notions about which was the "real" Porsche. They are all amazingly enjoyable to drive and are impressive when compared to the exotics and clearly superior when compared to cars under $100,000.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:09 AM
David '97 993
Track Day

I have an 03 M3 with SMG & 50K. Absolutley no problems. It's very quick and suprisingly practical. Even has a trunk! Build quality is also quite good. Make no mistake, it is not a "sports car". Some may say neither is a 997. I have a 97 993 which IS a sports car. no driver aids, cupholders, viscaral and demanding when driven hard. It all boils down to what you are going to do with it? Track it? Daily? Sunday driver? Either way you won't be disappointed
Old 12-02-2005, 08:06 AM
fast1
Race Car

Build quality is also quite good. Make no mistake, it is not a "sports car". Some may say neither is a 997. I have a 97 993 which IS a sports car. no driver aids, cupholders, viscaral and demanding when driven hard.

So by your strict definition, a F1 car isn't a sports car because it is loaded down with driver aids. To me the 997 is the quintessential sports cars.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:51 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

All 911's are sports cars, all m3 are sedans.

Quick Reply: Carrera S vs m3