Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S vs m3

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:14 PM
mss8022
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to this Board, so first, hello to everyone.

I am expecting delivery of a new 997 C2S Cab sometime this week or next. It will be my third Porsche (993 and 996 previously owned).

The car I am getting rid of is a 2005 Corvette C6 with the z51 package.

I have previously owned a Ferrari, two M3's and a MB SL55.

I buy my sportscars not because of snob appeal. I buy what I think will be fun to drive at the time. And I like switching brands and models.

I will never own a Ferrari again (it was a POS that went into the shop 13 times in 12 months), but I sure am glad that I owned one once.

Same with the Corvette. I had never owned one, but wanted to try it. I am glad I did. And, no, I do not have lots of chest hair, gold chains and Burt posters. And I am not 70.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mss8022
I am new to this Board, so first, hello to everyone.

I am expecting delivery of a new 997 C2S Cab sometime this week or next. It will be my third Porsche (993 and 996 previously owned).

The car I am getting rid of is a 2005 Corvette C6 with the z51 package.

I have previously owned a Ferrari, two M3's and a MB SL55.

I buy my sportscars not because of snob appeal. I buy what I think will be fun to drive at the time. And I like switching brands and models.

I will never own a Ferrari again (it was a POS that went into the shop 13 times in 12 months), but I sure am glad that I owned one once.

Same with the Corvette. I had never owned one, but wanted to try it. I am glad I did. And, no, I do not have lots of chest hair, gold chains and Burt posters. And I am not 70.

So, how did you like the Corvette? Would you recommend one?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:33 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
....... I am very well aware of the "stigma" associated with Corvette drivers and it is a major hurdle for me to cross when considering buying one. ....
So, in other words, you do consider what other people think when buying a car? Much like that quote from "War of the Roses."

By your own definition that would make you "shallow." Don't you think?
Old 11-28-2005, 05:50 PM
mss8022
Track Day

So, how did you like the Corvette? Would you recommend one?
I liked the Corvette, but I didn't love it. It was probably the fastest car (or at least felt that way) I have ever owned. And for the price, it could not be beat. And I liked the fact that it was American.

The car handled well, but not as well as a 911, M3 or Ferrari IMHO. But other Corvette owners would fight to the death in disagreement over my opinion on that.

The interior was not as nice as the above cars, both as to fit and finish and as to quality of materials. I found that I was always trying to add aftermarket items to spruce up the interior. And certain things about the car seemed very cheaply made to me, both interior and exterior. For example, Chevy has had a problem with orange peel on the paint jobs.

The dealership service experience was not as positive as with other brands. There did not seem to be very many Chevy mechanics that knew much about the C6....for example, how much oil to put in the car at change time. My Chevy dealership seemed to have a chip on its shoulder about Vettes...why I don't know.

I am a member of the Corvette Forum, and it seemed that there were consistent problems with the car for a number of owners, although mine was perfect mechanically the whole time I owned it.

Corvette owners are a great group of people. Just visit covetteforum.com, and you will see how helpful they are. They are also very outgoing, in a good kind of way.

Where I live here in Northern California, car snobs could not understand why I would ever buy a Vette.

For the right person, it is a great car....but for me, it was time to try something new, so I researched cars and this time picked the 997. I had really been disappointed with my 996, so I am pleased to see the improvements both mechanically and from an aesthetic viewpoint.

Would I ever buy another Vette, probably not, but like I said earlier, I am glad I owned one once. It is just time for me to return to my real sportscar roots....a 911.

By the way, GSIRM3, I am orginally from Winston-Salem, so hello to a fellow North Carolinian.

Last edited by mss8022; 11-28-2005 at 05:53 PM. Reason: To add hello to GSIRM3
Old 11-28-2005, 06:00 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

mss8022, Thanks for the opinion on the Corvette. I currently have an e46 M3, actually my second one of those. I am considering a C6 coupe or a Z06, along with a 997. Having a hard time deciding. And hello to a fellow North Carolinian.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:45 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by boolala
So, in other words, you do consider what other people think when buying a car? Much like that quote from "War of the Roses."

By your own definition that would make you "shallow." Don't you think?
Not exactly like the quote. I do think about "image" some, but I would not let the perceived image that some have keep me from getting a Corvette if I wanted one. It is just a consideration. Some people have said they would absolutely not get a Corvette because of the image. I know several people that own C6 Corvettes that definitely do not fit the stereotypical Corvette image.

Most vehicles have some type of image associated with them, and it is not always the same. For example, the Porsche image is not the same to all. To people on this board it means something positive. However, there are some that think Porsches are for men in midlife crisis that are short and don't have much between the legs, and get the Porsche to increase self esteem.

Bottom line for me is that I will take the image factor into consideration when I purchase a car, but I won't let it determine if I will buy the car, and I sure as heck won't judge someone by the car he drives. I definitely want to get to know the person before I start making those kind of judgements.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:23 PM
boolala
Race Car

.... However, there are some that think Porsches are for men in midlife crisis that are short and don't have much between the legs, and get the Porsche to increase self esteem.....

Well those were my reasons for getting one

Seriously, though, I think that people are influenced by the perception others have of them to a far greater extent than they admit or possibly even imagine. Nothing wrong with that it's just human nature.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:57 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think there IS something wrong with that - if you're making decisions in your life based on what other people think, even in small part, then you're not being true to yourself. I don't know how anyone could be happy, when they're not being who they really are.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:05 PM
mss8022
Track Day

mss8022, Thanks for the opinion on the Corvette. I currently have an e46 M3, actually my second one of those. I am considering a C6 coupe or a Z06, along with a 997. Having a hard time deciding. And hello to a fellow North Carolinian.
Assuming that you want a manual tranny (which I would guess is correct), I would get the Z06 rather than the C6 unless you really want a convertible. One advantage of the C6 is that you probably could get a good deal on it right now, while that will be harder with the Z06. Also, I don't know how readily available a Z06 is at the moment.

Everyone I have talked to and everything I have read (probably same as you), thinks the Z06 is a really special car.

Good luck with the decision.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:22 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Unless you are really lucky, chances are you are going to have to pay a Dealer markup of around $10K if you want to buy a Z06 right away. Lots of complaints on Vette forums about many guys who put deposits on Z06s about a year ago. It appears that their slots are being taken by Dealers who are selling the Zs for at least $10K over sticker. So these guys have been told that they will have to wait until sometime next year to get their cars.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:54 PM
frayed
Race Car

--------------

Werd. It's all about fun.

To date, the most fun, most compelling, most engaging car I've driven (for street use) is the 997S.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Talking The wait is over

Originally Posted by phantomias33
I don't feel I have enough chest hair, I don't own a gold chain...
Ask; you shell receive!

Old 11-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Unless you are really lucky, chances are you are going to have to pay a Dealer markup of around $10K if you want to buy a Z06 right away. Lots of complaints on Vette forums about many guys who put deposits on Z06s about a year ago. It appears that their slots are being taken by Dealers who are selling the Zs for at least $10K over sticker. So these guys have been told that they will have to wait until sometime next year to get their cars.
There are Z06s sitting on lots for MSRP in some parts of the country. Chevy is making a ton of these things; if one wants one right away, you just have to do some research.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:34 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by frayed

--------------

Werd. It's all about fun.

To date, the most fun, most compelling, most engaging car I've driven (for street use) is the 997S.
Jeff - I hear you, but to me at least a part of the car driving experience is influenced by the mystique of the car I'm driving. I'm a performance car enthusiast and find something appealing about all performance cars, but to me Porsche has this certain mystique that it has earned through its rich racing history. And every time I drive a Porsche, especially some 911 model, I feel connected in some small way to that history. - Rich
Old 11-29-2005, 06:42 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There are Z06s sitting on lots for MSRP in some parts of the country. Chevy is making a ton of these things; if one wants one right away, you just have to do some research.
Since I'm not going to buy a Z06, I haven't done my due dilligence but based on the Vette forums I have visited, almost every Dealer has a substantial markup on the Z06. There's no question that at the present time the demand far exceeds the supply. Here's one example. Note that despite the huge markup, the Dealer still includes a $50 processing fee.
http://dorask.com/z06/z06.htm

Quick Reply: Carrera S vs m3