Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera S vs m3

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005 | 01:26 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Lori
I checked out a Covette for about five minutes. I opened the door and looked around inside. The chemical fumes emanating from the plastics were very strong. I said to the salesman " It smells like a boat". The materials were cheap and brittle feeling and the seats reminded me of a black vinyl couch in a lap dance club.
The black vinyl couch in a lap dance club? Holy crap, I love that couch! I didn't realize that the seats were they THAT good. I'll have to load up on fives and then go sit in a C6.

Come to think of it, those black vinyl couches in lap dance clubs are surrounded by plastic bodies, too.
Old 11-27-2005 | 01:29 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by frayed
LOL. Too funny!

I completely agree. Pretty much any consumer good you can identify plateaus at a certain dollar point, ie, diminishing returns for the dollar.

Once you weight value heavily into your buying decision, we'd all be driving hopped up Sti's, Evo's and used Z06s. <sarcasm>Obviously, M3 drivers are snobs b/c they didn't buy an Evo, just as obviously 911 drivers are snobs b/c they didn't buy an M3, and Ferrari drivers are snobs b/c they didn't buy a Porsche</sarcasm>

For crying out loud people, there's nothing wrong with buying the most compelling car w/i your means. It's sad that people have to generalize and demean others' car buying choices to feel better about their purchases.

Whatever. I've owned a bunch of cars, both moderately priced and expensive, and will likely own more in the future. Nothing wrong with that. It's all about fun, right?

Agreed. It's a never ending cycle. Ultimately, "the better vehicle" at any price is a subjective and personal measurement that involves far more intangibles than paper performance and price. Hell, my Evo was faster than my 911 and substantially cheaper but I have no regrets with my move to the 997S.
Old 11-27-2005 | 01:37 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
The 911 is a great car, but one does pay dearly for the Porsche name.
You could also argue that you pay for the Porsche experience. How many other manufacturers offer a rear-engined GT/sports car with relatively low maintenance (Read: practicality) and the ease of daily driveability and trackability into an extremely clean, well-built, responsive package?

The snob appeal comments get tiring and are thrown around on this and other similar forums far too often. Yes, there are people who buy 911/M3/Boxster/Ferraris/etc. to say that they own one but to continually harp on it is an insult to those of us who actually enjoy our cars appropriately.
Old 11-27-2005 | 01:41 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by MrBonus
You could also argue that you pay for the Porsche experience. How many other manufacturers offer a rear-engined GT/sports car with relatively low maintenance (Read: practicality) and the ease of daily driveability and trackability into an extremely clean, well-built, responsive package?

The snob appeal comments get tiring and are thrown around on this and other similar forums far too often. Yes, there are people who buy 911/M3/Boxster/Ferraris/etc. to say that they own one but to continually harp on it is an insult to those of us who actually enjoy our cars appropriately.
I agree 100% with your post.
Old 11-27-2005 | 02:05 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

wow... lots of testosterone on this thread

1) sorry for using percentages to compare the M3 to the 997... they were meant to be directionally correct and I concede that using words like "most of" or "much of" the performance would be safer

2) i dont agree with the slippery slope argument that there is always a car with better value.... i mean, there certainly is...but i think that we are talking about the European sports car/GT market here in the 50k+ price range...lets not get all academic about how a WRX is even MORE value, etc. etc.... bottom line is that comparing an M3 to a 996/997 is i believe a fair and categorically correct comparison and the M3 seems to be quite the value...

By the way, my interest in this thread comes from the recent birth of my son, Jude (now 6 months) I love my 993 S more than life itself, but not more than spending time with him. My wife is pushing somewhat for an "upgrade" in warranty, technology, safety, perceived backseat space, etc. Havent decided for sure to do it, but looking at potentially having to get rid of the 993. If I do, I will be in the market for either: 2006 M3 Competition pkg (money left over to spare), a 2004 c4s or maybe even 40th anniv, or 2005 997. My heart/soul is telling me to keep my 993 or at very least stay in the Porsche family. My head is telling me that a brand new from factory loaded M3 and money left over might be best value. Uggh.
Old 11-27-2005 | 03:06 PM
frayed
Race Car

Don't do anything rash; I'd keep the Porsche at least for now. You'll have plenty of room for the kiddo (I have two).

In my experience and observation, new dads often have the need to feel of socially responsible and, well, 'adult'. It's a passing phase as you'll find your juvenile side again. If you are a car nut, you will eventually have a fun sports car in your garage again. This same thing happened with me, when my wife lobbied that I get rid of my S2000 when we were expecting our first baby.

Well, I did get rid of the S2000, but in the end I showed, her, with 4, count 'em, 4 Porsches in 2 years. LOL.

Anyhow, FWIW, based on my personal experience and watching new dads around my office jettison their beloved sports cars. Good luck.
Old 11-27-2005 | 03:58 PM
fast1
Race Car

By the way, my interest in this thread comes from the recent birth of my son, Jude (now 6 months) I love my 993 S more than life itself, but not more than spending time with him. My wife is pushing somewhat for an "upgrade" in warranty, technology, safety, perceived backseat space, etc. Havent decided for sure to do it, but looking at potentially having to get rid of the 993. If I do, I will be in the market for either: 2006 M3 Competition pkg (money left over to spare), a 2004 c4s or maybe even 40th anniv, or 2005 997. My heart/soul is telling me to keep my 993 or at very least stay in the Porsche family. My head is telling me that a brand new from factory loaded M3 and money left over might be best value. Uggh.

I agree with Jeff. Keep the Porsche. There are lots of safe, reasonably priced family cars to choose from. I don't know how your commute is, but for me it doesn't matter what kind of car I drive on weekdays because I'm usually stuck behind someone that is driving under the speed limit, and most of the times there's no safe or legal place to pass. So you should consider practicality for weekdays, and you'll still have your 993 for the weekends.
Old 11-27-2005 | 04:10 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Why do people decry brand value so much? What's so incredibly insightful or demeaning about pointing out that people buy Porsche's because of the name? I'll admit it- I'm not brand agnostic. The new 'Vette is remarkable...and being an American, I hope tons of people buy it and do what they can to help ailing GM out. However, having become disenchanted with 'Vettes over the years, I don't feel I have enough chest hair, I don't own a gold chain and I don't have Burt Reynolds posters on my wall....so I can't buy a Vette. I buy Porsche because I trust their heritage. It would take a number of good designs from Chevy and a number of bad designs from Porsche to change my mind...but I don't see that happening.

If the Lakers have a bad year...they're still considered a great team with a suredly better season just around the corner. If the Clippers were to have a good year, it would be an anomoly. Same with the Yankees...they lost this year but still considered a great team with a solid chance next year. So history and brand value REALLY do matter. The new Z06 is in my mind a great car from a heritage that I don't like. Porsche still has yet to disappoint me (and I own a Cayenne!), so if I pay a little extra for the brand name....so what?

It's funny to hear people hate on Porsche and toss around the 'snob' label. That's exactly my sentiments about BMW. I got over the yuppy label of the 80's and mid-90's and despite having owned BMWs...I hate them now because of the owners I've known, not necessarily the cars. The best thing BMW has going for them is their marketing department. They've got just about every middle-aged man convinced they're driving the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE. And the beloved M3? My thoughts there are...why? Having spent a few months with an '04 M3 SMG...it felt like an overtuned engine begging for mercy. It would be like buying a computer with a 2 Ghz processor and overclocking to 2.5 Ghz. Why not just buy a better processor?
Old 11-27-2005 | 05:00 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Call me a snob/poser...give me a capochino (OC Ben, I know it's spelled wrong)......just make sure my 997S is delivered on time.
Old 11-27-2005 | 05:57 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
The car you drive doesn't make one a snob. The snobbery comes from how you feel and act about what you drive. Many Porsche drivers seem to think they are better than someone who drives a "lesser" car. You can even see it on this board with comments such as "if you don't have the $$$ to play, then get out."
Exactly. Sums up my thoughts on the subject far more eloquently than I have been able to.
Old 11-27-2005 | 06:00 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by frayed
Actually, just above you called many Porsche buyers snobs and badge ******, and many Porsche buyers ignorant to water vs. air cooling. Your posts are inflammatory and w/o support. But, thanks for contributing to our forum.
I STILL don't understand where all this ultra-sensitivity comes from... some people can't handle an opinion or observation if it contradicts their viewpoint, and they will call the person "inflammatory," "insulting," etc.

Are we a bunch of men here, or little girls? (Now I'm sure I'll get "insensitive towards women" for that one...)
Old 11-27-2005 | 06:07 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by phantomias33
Why do people decry brand value so much? What's so incredibly insightful or demeaning about pointing out that people buy Porsche's because of the name? I'll admit it- I'm not brand agnostic. The new 'Vette is remarkable...and being an American, I hope tons of people buy it and do what they can to help ailing GM out. However, having become disenchanted with 'Vettes over the years, I don't feel I have enough chest hair, I don't own a gold chain and I don't have Burt Reynolds posters on my wall....so I can't buy a Vette. I buy Porsche because I trust their heritage. It would take a number of good designs from Chevy and a number of bad designs from Porsche to change my mind...but I don't see that happening.

If the Lakers have a bad year...they're still considered a great team with a suredly better season just around the corner. If the Clippers were to have a good year, it would be an anomoly. Same with the Yankees...they lost this year but still considered a great team with a solid chance next year. So history and brand value REALLY do matter.
You seem to be missing one huge difference. The Yankees can improve next season. The 997 you just spent $85k on will be the same car next year as it is today. So for you to say "it would take a number of bad designs from Porsche to change my mind," then I guess you wouldn't mind throwing your money away on crappy cars, as long as they have the Porsche badge. I believe you are Porsche's favorite kind of customer, these days...

(NO, I'm not saying 997s are crappy - just illustrating a point, please nobody start crying, I didn't mean it that way, new Porsches are the best cars ever made, you're a great human being for owning one, etc, etc.)
Old 11-27-2005 | 06:17 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

[QUOTE=phantomias33]Why do people decry brand value so much? What's so incredibly insightful or demeaning about pointing out that people buy Porsche's because of the name? I'll admit it- I'm not brand agnostic. The new 'Vette is remarkable...and being an American, I hope tons of people buy it and do what they can to help ailing GM out. However, having become disenchanted with 'Vettes over the years, I don't feel I have enough chest hair, I don't own a gold chain and I don't have Burt Reynolds posters on my wall....so I can't buy a Vette.

Gee, I didn't realize that excessive chest hair, gold chains, and Burt Reynolds posters were requirements for Corvette ownership. I don't have any of those. And to think I was considering a Z06. Well, I guess I will have to take the Z06 off my list of possible cars.

What do I need to qualify as a Porsche buyer?
Old 11-27-2005 | 06:55 PM
frayed
Race Car

I'd love to indulge y'all further with some bantering, but I got some driving to do. This just in: the 997S is a really, really great car.
Old 11-27-2005 | 09:42 PM
searching4996
Racer

"Gee, I didn't realize that excessive chest hair, gold chains, and Burt Reynolds posters were requirements for Corvette ownership. I don't have any of those. And to think I was considering a Z06. Well, I guess I will have to take the Z06 off my list of possible cars."

You could buy one of chest hair patches like On Austin Powers..DON'T LET THE DREAM DIE!!!!

Quick Reply: Carrera S vs m3