Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preventing Fine Micro Scratches and Keeping Your New Car Looking New

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other way to wash with mitts is to use a two bucket method. One for soap, one to rinse, both with grit guards to assist in keeping any dirt down low. I add an additional screen as most dirt that harms finishes is very small.

This is why it's important to rinse the car well PRIOR to washing to get off as much dirt as possible.

Another way is with foam guns or foam cannons. A foam gun just uses a hose and soap. The cannon you need a pressure washer (and water of course). Both work well in getting a whole lot of foam on the finish to help lift off dirt before you go to the mitt.

Here's what the foam gun looks like: http://www.topoftheline.com/foaming-sprayer-gun.html

Deanski
Old 09-14-2008, 12:44 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
One other way to wash with mitts is to use a two bucket method. One for soap, one to rinse...
That's just excessive, in my opinion. Provided you regularly wash your car and don't allow much dirt accumulation, one bucket for soapy water is all you need.

Use my technique detailed here and you should be just fine using a single bucket:
Originally Posted by OCBen
The long independent fibers of the sheepskin mitt, on the other hand, cannot mechanically capture and trap these scratch producing particles. These particles, once loosened, become suspended in the soap solution and are drawn in by the capillary action of the soap-soaked fibers as you work the mitt gently across the surface, allowing the weight of the soaked mitt alone to do the work without applying external pressure. (Incidentally, one should never apply pressure when using any soap applicator and one should never use a "scrubbing" action either. That's just asking for scratches.) To release these suspended particles it's a simple matter of dipping the sheepskin mitt in your soap bucket which will instantly spread the fibers apart and applying quick vigorous twisting rotations to shake them loose.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:10 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just stick the hose into the mitt and give it a thorough rinsing from the inside, hand wringing the dirt out of the mitt until it is clean. Then back in the bucket. Bucket water stays nice and clean.

On the wheels I use an old white cotton washcloth, which allows my fingers to get into all the small spaces and makes it easy to reach in to do the back side and the calipers w/o removing the wheels. I've found the best way to clean the washcloth is to lay it flat on the driveway (concrete if it matters) and go over it with the hose (with nozzle), then flip and repeat. The water drives the brake grime right out and being white its easy to see when it is clean. Then wring it out and a fresh soaking in the suds.

I wash weekly since I can only be out of the sun in the AM and I'm not washing a car before going to work. If the car is really clean (once a year) or its raining, I have to skip the weekend. Machine wash in winter unless we get a warm day.

My car is a black 997S year-round daily driver, FWIW.

Quick Reply: Preventing Fine Micro Scratches and Keeping Your New Car Looking New