Regards,
Deanski
Old 01-07-2007, 09:34 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Wheels, due to the heat generated by braking, most waxes or glazes do not stand a chance.....

Best practice is to always seek out professional help from a qualified detailer. They can assist you in keeping the finishing looking new.

Regards,
Deanski
My wife has been telling me to "seek professional help" for quite some time now!
Old 01-07-2007, 09:38 PM
erv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"My wife has been telling me to "seek professional help" for quite some time now!"

I would think most of us have heard that
Old 01-08-2007, 11:12 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
Here's a great starting point: Guide to Detailing
I've referenced that already in my detailing thread, but it's good to repeat for those who may have missed it.

Also, there's a complete detailing book you can download for FREE from Autopia (just checked, it's still available) that I found very helpful:

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=58
Old 01-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Thumbs up Autopia Detail Guide

Originally Posted by OCBen
I've referenced that already in my detailing thread, but it's good to repeat for those who may have missed it.

Also, there's a complete detailing book you can download for FREE from Autopia (just checked, it's still available) that I found very helpful:

http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=58
Thanks for repeating the Autopia thread in plain view. Hopefully those will take full advantage of it.

For those still new to detailing, look at other cars in the area for high quality detailers that handle these cars as well as other high-end vehicles. Don't rely on those wash/wax tunnel auto washes that offer "deatiling" as you will be very unhappy with the results!

Once a good shop gets the paint perfect, seek advice or a hands on session. I do this for customers in the past as well as a small package that has wash, wash mitts, QD, MF towels and instructions. Those that have a "PC" we can do the session with a customer. They also get polishes and sealant or wax and MF bonnets or finish pads as well. Everyone learns how to hand wash correctly. Drying also contributes to marring if done wrong as well.

Most maring can be filled by a good glaze. Glazes contain "China clay" or other clays that add to the filling. Polishing with mild polish and pads remove defects, but can also haze a finish if done improperly and a finish polish will need to bring it back.

Thanks Ben for all the links!!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 03-24-2008, 10:22 AM
OCBen
Banned

Default Spring Car Washing

Just a reminder for those who haven't washed their cars in a while because of bad weather, to go easy on your paint if your car is really dirty.

- Always soften up the dirt film by hosing down the car thoroughly before you begin. And spray down the panel you're about to wash one more time before you start in with your wash mitt.

- Never scrub your paint finish with your wash mitt. Your paint is too soft and will pick up fine micro scratches as a result. Always let the soapy wash mitt glide gently over the surface.

- If you see little specks of contaminants resist the temptation to pick at it with your thumbnail. You'll produce a scratch for sure. If it's small enough you might try rubbing it gently with your fingertip and soapy water to loosen it, otherwise leave it for your claying step.

- But whatever you do, don't use your mitt as a scrub pad. Any applied pressure on your paint with the mitt is guaranteed to produce fine micro scratches.

As I've pointed out in this thread, a new car ceases to look new as a result of improper washing techniques. If you look at the sun's reflection on your paint and see a halo of fine scratches around it that follows the sun's reflection as you move around your car, that is what happens from not using proper car washing techniques.

It's a lot of work - especially on a darker car - to keep it looking new, but for those of us who love that look, it's well worth it.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:50 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Just a reminder for those who haven't washed their cars in a while because of bad weather, to go easy on your paint if your car is really dirty.

- Always soften up the dirt film by hosing down the car thoroughly before you begin. And spray down the panel you're about to wash one more time before you start in with your wash mitt.

- Never scrub your paint finish with your wash mitt. Your paint is too soft and will pick up fine micro scratches as a result. Always let the soapy wash mitt glide gently over the surface.

- If you see little specks of contaminants resist the temptation to pick at it with your thumbnail. You'll produce a scratch for sure. If it's small enough you might try rubbing it gently with your fingertip and soapy water to loosen it, otherwise leave it for your claying step.

- But whatever you do, don't use your mitt as a scrub pad. Any applied pressure on your paint with the mitt is guaranteed to produce fine micro scratches.

As I've pointed out in this thread, a new car ceases to look new as a result of improper washing techniques. If you look at the sun's reflection on your paint and see a halo of fine scratches around it that follows the sun's reflection as you move around your car, that is what happens from not using proper car washing techniques.

It's a lot of work - especially on a darker car - to keep it looking new, but for those of us who love that look, it's well worth it.
The current rage on Autopia.org is using a grout sponge bought at Home Depot or Lowes. Supposed to be very soft but more importantly rinses very well to shed off any particles that may have collected. Has anybody here tried the grout sponge?
Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MLindgren
The current rage on Autopia.org is using a grout sponge bought at Home Depot or Lowes. Supposed to be very soft but more importantly rinses very well to shed off any particles that may have collected. Has anybody here tried the grout sponge?
No way I'd ever use a sponge for washing.

See OP under Soap Applicators to learn why.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

No way I'd ever use a sponge for washing.

See OP under Soap Applicators to learn why.
Point taken. I think the case for grout sponges was made due to the ease of rinsing all grit particles off the sponge. Lambs wool and the like may not allow for easily rinsing away grit that you can't see or feel. I currently use a microfiber wash mit but will give the sponge a shot based on the converts over at Autopia. My black car should be a good test.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:32 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Point taken. I think the case for grout sponges was made due to the ease of rinsing all grit particles off the sponge. Lambs wool and the like may not allow for easily rinsing away grit that you can't see or feel. I currently use a microfiber wash mit but will give the sponge a shot based on the converts over at Autopia. My black car should be a good test.
See here for more info:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...0&postcount=23
Old 03-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

For ONR washing, the sponge does work very well with no marring due to what most of you have figured out in that rinsing the sponge is very easy to do and very easy to see any grit as opposed to a sopping wet sheepskin which traps dirt well, but rinsing takes more effort.

Mostly, the ONR will foat off the dirt rather than you scrubbing it off, you mostly wipe in one direction with the sponge and rinse. Dirt is gone. Here's a good example on black using ONR.

Name:  ONR1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  96.7 KB

Light washing, with two buckets I use a sheepskin with lots of rinse water changes even with "grit guard" as most of the fine particles float around the water. Better still is to stream water both outside and inside the mitt.

The key is the soap you use. The more it can lift and remove the dirt, the less friction from a mitt or a sponge. Find the best and most slippery, dirt lifting soap as possible.

Another item I use are both a foam gun and a foam "bazooka" which when used with a high pressure washer and air, can give you the same if not more soap and foam like a drive-through wash. Same principle as a commercial car wash, only made for mobil car wash systems that you may also see washing fleet vehicles.

Bottom line, sometimes you have to try different applications to find your best method as what may work for me or others may not work for you as well.

Regards,

Deanski
Old 03-27-2008, 11:35 PM
joe 997
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ben-- We still want the Boxster story. Hurry I need to go to bed.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:02 AM
OCBen
Banned

Joe, sorry I didn't get to this in time for your bedtime story.

But long story short, I used sandpaper on my black Boxster to remove the dreaded orange peel and produce a smooth as glass, mirror-like finish in a process called color-sanding. My neighbors and my g/f at the time thought I had really lost it when they saw my brand new Boxster's paint finish a dull, charcoal grey color from the sandpaper. Mind you, I had never done this before, but I had studied and observed pros at body shops do this. And I was confident I could do it as well.

My story, along with several pics of the process, was published in my local PCA's monthly magazine. Here's one of the photos, a pic of my wife's reflection off the rear lid.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Preventing Fine Micro Scratches and Keeping Your New Car Looking New