Fricking Scratch!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 08:59 PM
littlebigfish
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fricking Scratch!

Damn it, damn it, damn it, damn it!

I scratched it! I was putting my drycleaning in the car adn caught a hanger on the top side of the door sill. It is 2 1/2 inches long and fairly deep.

I made things worse in a panic by trying to fix with porsche touch up paint. I smudged the paint but filled in the scratch. I am a total bafoon with fixing things so what do i do?

I have no dealer in my area (Spokane, WA). Who do I call?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:54 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try to remove the blob with some alcohol or gasoline. A detailer or body shop can offer some help if they are nice. Then, use toothpick to apply new touch up paint. Get as little paint on the toothpick as possible and apply in layers with drying time between each coat.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:33 PM
jfraser
Instructor

littlebigfish....first off don't panic about your paint touch up...that's easy to fix...You've obviously got touch up paint which is the main thing....I suggest you try this product
http://www.langka.com/ (plenty of how to videos on this site)

It makes touching up easier, and look better.

The product ships with a blob remover (which will get rid of the excess that you say is now smudged)

In the meantime the other way to remove the excess and improve the appearance is to get some scratch X by meguiars (available at walmart, target, autozone etc) great little product at getting scratches out by hand....make sure area is perfectly clean (use isoprop alcohol to make sure) apply with a foam applicator, apply about a dime size and use firm hand pressure (10 to 15 lbs...yeah that was 10-15 lbs) keep rubbing for @ 2 mins or until product has consistency/look of vaseline. You may need to apply 5 to 6 times. First off, this will get rid of the excess paint, and it will also significantly reduce the scratch...You can't do any damage to the paint as the product uses diminishing abrasives (start off abrasive and break down to become a polish) the world's come a long way since rubbing compounds.

Here's a video link on how to use scratch x
www.showcargarage.com

and here's a great article on touch ups......(which often look better when you do it rather than a bodyshop, because they don't have time to do it this way, and would rather just respray!!)
http://www.guidetodetailing.com/arti...p?articleId=27

fyi, the langka kit pretty much does the exact same thing as the article above, just in a more user friendly way

If you don't want to do any of the above, suggest you call a paintless dent removal guy and ask him to recommend a mobile touch up outfit....these guys can airbrush scratches out at your home with stellar results (dealers often use them when they have leased cars returned that need a little tlc but not a bumper spray etc, or accidently f%$k up your car when the techs keys attached to his belt scrape along your paint!!)

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out...
Jason
Old 04-21-2006, 12:02 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Have you determined whether or not the scratch is only at the clearcoat depth or at the color depth?

See my last link below for help in that area.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

littlebigfish: The product jfraser suggested is cool - langka. Or, you may want to use Touchup Magic. EBoth very helpful products and either works very well for those of us less adept at touchup. I would say they are a must for amateurs (such as I).
Old 04-21-2006, 05:47 PM
littlebigfish
Instructor

Ben, the bottom of the scratch was white before i blobbed on the touch up paint. From your description in your link, although i havent done the water test, the scratch seems like a category 2.

Thank you for the detailed suggestions. I need to think about DIY vs. outsourcing the job. I have a friend in the area who is a p-car fanatic and he recommended an outfit in town that would do a good job. I'm leaning this way but a part of me says DIY.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

DIY. If you don't like the way it looks, then outsource it.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

My recommendation is to go with your friend's suggestion and take it to professionals who have done this repeatedly and successfully. I think you would be putting too much pressure on yourself if you were to attempt to DIY, especially if you've never done touch-up work before. It does take experience to do it right - you'll rarely do it like a pro on your very first try. And you certainly don't want to compound your grief if it ends up being short of expectations.

Take it to the pros and take a load off your mind. ... Good luck!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Hey Chris, any updates?
Old 04-23-2006, 12:20 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sucks, but scratches happen. Try as I may, I managed to get one on my back bumper that I can't place. I didn't hit anything and noticed it while detailing, so I wonder if I caused. I can't imagine how since I use two buckets, two mits, and make single downward strokes when cleaning. I also rinse thoroughly and even use a boars hair brush (VERY lightly with the tips in single strokes then rinse) on the bottom panels to clear the heavier debris before going to a mit.

I also picked up about 5 rock chips above the stoneguard line today during a driving event. It suicks, but they happen.

I'll try out some of the tips here.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:57 AM
wilam
Instructor

What is the best way to get scratches removed from the rear bumperette? It is very slight as I bumped lightly into another bumper while parallel parking (yes I admit it!!!). Would Langka work on that kind of scratch? Or, is there something else since the bumper is plastic?
Old 04-23-2006, 01:12 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by ronmart
I also rinse thoroughly and even use a boars hair brush (VERY lightly with the tips in single strokes then rinse) on the bottom panels to clear the heavier debris before going to a mit.
Hey Ron I sure hope you don't use that brush on your p-car's soft paint. Those boars hair brushes will definitely scratch the soft paint of our p-cars, no matter how soft they may seem, just ask Adam:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/231246-are-paint-swirl-lines-inevitable.html
Old 04-23-2006, 07:36 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I also picked up about 5 rock chips above the stoneguard line today during a driving event. It suicks, but they happen.
Sorry to hear about the stone chips. At least you are driving the car and enjpying it.

I have already 1. hit a bird ( on the hood...saved by clear bra). 2. Run over unknown object between lanes 3. Got a rock chip in my windshield.... of course it is on the drivers side. I'll still keep on driving
Old 04-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

they happen
I cracked my windshield today, dang it.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:28 AM
OCBen
Banned

Sorry to hear that, Wolfgang. How'd it happen, a flying stone?

Quick Reply: Fricking Scratch!