Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PORSCHE DRIVING EXPERIENCE (PDE)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005 | 11:32 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default PORSCHE DRIVING EXPERIENCE (PDE)

Just completed another PDE Masters course, and once again it did not disappoint. This was the 9th time I've attended and each time I come away a better driver, for driving is all about seat time and there is no way around that, except by doing. There were other class attendees who have attended multiple times so I am not alone in that respect.
Total drive time over the two days was in excess of 200 miles.

Day one starts with a 1hr classroom session and then you are broken into 4 groups A,B.C,D. of 6 since there were 24 participants. Two groups to the track for lead and follow lapping and two to skidpad and heel and toe downshifting exercise. then switch.
AFter lunch the whole group gets vaned around to different points of the track to discuss different approachs and how the car reacts to various sections of the track topography, and watch a car at track level pass thru.
Lapping sessions are conducted as a lead & follow where the following cars switch out every couple of laps. There are rides with an instructor so you can see proper technique and line and there are instructor ride alongs so you can get instructor feedback on your driving technique. My instructor for the ride and ride along was Hurley Haywood.

Day Two a short classroom session then out to the track for a lead follow for the first session and groups rotate thru the Autocross challange, aand another skid pad session (great fun!) Then you are turned loose for free lapping sessions on the track, and the instructors take positions around the course watching and taking notes about indivdual performance. At the end of the session there is a de-brief where the observations are discussed.

Durring one session you are driving an "S" with PCCB....WOW!
These brakes are phenomenal!! There initial bite and pedal feel are superb.
The fact is that brakes actually exceed the tires grip capabilities and must be used sparingly.
I drove the "S" first and was then religated to standard brakes...then you really see the difference hauling down from 100+ into a turn.

When I get some bandwidth I'll post a skidpad ballet....

Do consider PDE, money well spent and the best test drive and tine of your life

Off to Illinois tomorrow

Old 09-30-2005 | 12:39 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can't wait, only 1 month and a few days till I'm in Alabama!
Old 09-30-2005 | 08:50 AM
baboou
Instructor

Hey MJ, not sure if this was asked before but do the PDE 997 (not the S) have PSAM? I'm there in two weeks - been a long wait.
Old 09-30-2005 | 08:55 AM
baboou
Instructor

Ooops, that's PASM
Old 09-30-2005 | 09:31 AM
walks357
Addict
Rennlist Member

baboou -

Yes, the 997S at PDE has PASM but they keep it on the 'normal' setting.
Old 09-30-2005 | 01:25 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Some 997 (non S) have PASM...and the setting is ajdustable...not that they'll mention you can.
Old 10-01-2005 | 01:03 AM
Philip in AL
Pro

Brian, I can't believe you did it again; and didn't call me! Was the anymore mention of the new Carrera GT school?

Last edited by Philip in AL; 10-01-2005 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 10-01-2005 | 03:06 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Damn! That's 30k, guess you really like it a lot. I did it once, was great, and I will go back, but not ten times, I'd be afraid they'd be laughing at me as some kind of groupie or something. But it is fun.
Old 10-01-2005 | 09:42 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Philip in AL
Was the anymore mention of the new Carrera GT school?
The only GT school is arranged thru your dealer for people who have bought or are a seriously qualified buyer and it is anow a one on one with Cass.
And no you do not get to go out there alone...only behind a pace car.

The Car IS a Beast

Quick Reply: PORSCHE DRIVING EXPERIENCE (PDE)