Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving a 997S in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005 | 12:55 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Default Driving a 997S in Germany

Last month I bought an '05 997S "launch car," and have generally been happy with it so far.

On Monday I returned from a 2 week trip to Germany, during which I drove an '05 997S rented from Avis. BTW, what a blast driving this car on the Autobahn and through the Swiss Alps. This car cuts through switchbacks with remarkable precision, and I hit 275 km/hour (about 170 mph) several times on the Autobahn without feeling the car was even close to being stressed.

But after returning to my car in the US, I immediately noticed some differences in my car versus the car in Germany:

1) When going into a turn, the car in Germany loaded in a very linear, predictable fashion. You could feel it approaching the limits, and it provided good feedback. It felt very solid, with incredible grip. But when approaching the limit in my car back in the US, it just understeers, understeers, understeers, and then suddenly bites, and then whips into shape. It's not linear at all. I've complained about it before on this forum, and people thought I was crazy. But after driving another 997S at it's limits, I know now that there's something wrong with my car.

2) The car in Germany felt like it was sprung differently. Under acceleration, the nose of my car in the US lifts, and under braking, the nost of mine dives. But the car in Germany remained fairly flat under all but the most extreme of circumstances.

3) The engine of the car in Germany idled smooth, whereas my car sort of shakes around at idle. Enough to make the center console rattle.

4) The car in Germany had a slightly different sound -- particularly at full song, wide open throttle at high rpm. It was throatier than my car. Maybe this is due to different emissions/exhaust.

In terms of equipment, the main differences between my car and the car in Germany:

My car Michelin Pilot Sports whereas the car in Germany had Pirelli PZeros.

My car has PCCB brakes, whereas the car in Germany had the standard red brakes.

And my car has Sport Chrono, whereas the car in Germany did not.

So now I'm wondering if the German car has different springs that cause the handling to feel so much different? Or whether the Michelins could feel so much different than the Pirellis? Or could it be that having less unsprung weight with the PCCB's possibly cause such different handling dynamics?

Needless to say, I liked the car in Germany better.

Pretty strange, huh??
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:09 PM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Maybe it had the lowered suspension which is not an option here.
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:23 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

How much was the rental from Avis.
I was interested in doing the same thing.
Old 09-28-2005 | 01:39 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

16 days, unlimited miles, full coverage insurance in a Basalt Black '05 997S cost me about 3,400 Euros (about $4k). And the car was optioned nicely, with full leather interior, multi-function steering wheel, park assist, navigation, heated seats, colored wheel crests, CD changer. The car had about 4,000km and was in perfect shape.

I highly recommend it!! It was a fantastic experience.
Old 09-28-2005 | 09:34 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

PbPedis -- I think you're on the money. In looking at pics I took of the car while I was there, it does look a little lower.

I visited a Porsche dealer while I was there, thinking it would be cool to pickup the German version of their sales literature on the car.

First of all, their brochure in Germany is this cool, hard-bound "book." Very cool.

So I just grabbed it, and found the "P17" option. According to the brochure, here is what this option includes:

"Lowered vehicle 20 millimeters front and rear. Stiffer springs, shocks, and stabilization. Including mechnical rear axle links."

In Germany, this option costs 1,508 Euro, which is about $1,800. I'll bet that's it. That would certainly seem to explain the handling difference I'm describing...
Old 09-28-2005 | 09:46 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

BTW, here are a few pics of the 997S I drove while in Europe. If it's indeed the "P17" option that accounts for the handling difference of this car, then guess what option I'm going to retrofit to mine(!!) That car was just GLUED. It was unreal. And since it was a rental, you can about imagine how aggressively I drove it.
Old 09-28-2005 | 10:20 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

How many miles did you put on it? That's pricey but I'm sure well worth it especially if it's a write off.
Old 09-28-2005 | 10:37 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

It was indeed a write-off. I put about 2,800 kilometers (about 1,700 miles) on it. But when you're driving at an average of 200 km/hour on the Autobahn for a few hours a day, the mileage begins to add up really quick!
Old 09-30-2005 | 05:53 AM
PV
Pro

Thanks for sharing! Reading through your experience, it seems that there is more going on with your US version. Idling with rattles and so on.

Besides that, indeed that 2 cm can make a big difference.

Any comments about the road conditions in both germany and Switzerland compared to your hometown situation?
Old 09-30-2005 | 06:06 AM
Sobe
Pro

16 days, unlimited miles, full coverage insurance in a Basalt Black '05 997S cost me about 3,400 Euros (about $4k)
were there cabs for rent .. what a great deal that is like $300 a day it is hard to believe that you can do it for that .
Old 09-30-2005 | 07:24 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Did the car you drove have PASM? The EU car is 10mm lower vs US
Or was it equiped with the Sport suspension? Thats even lower yet. and a no cost option on the S

Your understeer problem a is still a mystery...
Sign up for PDE and see how the 997 drives at limits...farther than you are use to!!
Old 09-30-2005 | 11:29 AM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Road conditions are absolutely incredible. I saw a show on the Discovery Channel that mentioned the thickness of concrete used in the German Autobahn is 36 inches, versus 14-16 inches in US Interstates. It pays off -- I don't think the word "chuckhole" exists in their vocabulary.

Driving 120+ mph on the Autobahn feels like you're literally flying, because the pavement is so smooth and even. It's a truly amazing experience.

And the drivers there are so good. If there is anyone in the left lane, they clear quick. They are all very aware, and skilled. General traffic operates sort of like a Porsche does: precisely and predictably. Gotta love the Germans!

I'm sure Porsche knows the difference between their road quality and ours -- and perhaps the rationale for them not offering the P17 sport suspension in the US (?)

Anyway, when I took delivery of the car, I had a quick walk around the Avis garage at Munich airport to see what else they had. All Porsches were Coupes. They had C2 and C2S. No C4 yet, and no Cabs. All are either black, silver, or metallic black.

Thinking back, I don't think the car had the P17 sport suspension option, because it DID have the little shock absorber button that you press for PASM. But even without this button depressed, the suspension felt much different than my US car. More taut. Less "floaty."

It was a great experience. Probably every Porsche owner should: (a) Drive a Porsche in Germany, (b) attend PDE. One down, one to go!
Old 09-30-2005 | 11:51 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Get the H& R lowering springs and new shocks for the 997...your car will be nailed down to tthe floor...These things come set up like crap from the factory.....
Old 10-01-2005 | 09:11 AM
uncle buck
Instructor

The editors at "Excellence" have described a similar phenomenon with PASM equipped cars. The system tries to self level during hard cornering and produces the effect you are describing in your first point. The -20mm Euro suspension is all mechanical and not electronic. It's not offered here due to bumper height restrictions and I would suspect, Porsche's practice of "protecting" the performance differences between lines (the upcoming GT3)...
Old 10-01-2005 | 03:38 PM
Chip McCoy
Intermediate

good post--I drove the lowered Euro suspension version last Thanksgiving is Stuttgart with PCCB, great ride--ending up buying a US spec C2s but will get the HR and lowered springs if I can get stationed back in Europe again. I really didn't note any difference in motor sound, did swap my side markers for clear though Got my car broken in and up to 189 mph indicated before shipping it stateside in May. Toughest part is slowing down to about 165 mph w/o tempting the car to switch ends
Chip McCoy

Quick Reply: Driving a 997S in Germany