Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005 | 01:18 PM
997 C2
Intermediate

Default Flat Repair

Got a puncture wound in rear tire last night. Sidewalls are OK, didn't drive on it long. Can I plug it and be safe at high speed, or do I need to replace both rears? I'd plug and play on mortal cars, but not sure with the P-car.
Old 09-29-2005 | 01:24 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

You loose your tire rating once its punctured. Replace both rears. Sorry dude - it sucks.
Old 09-29-2005 | 02:21 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

With a high perfomance car like yours, I would purchase two new tires for safety purposes, that is unless you are going to drive your car like a standard sedan.
Old 09-29-2005 | 02:30 PM
Sobe
Pro

For about $600 you can get tire and wheel insurance, good for 5 years up to $4000 ....... do you know what I am thinking ?
Old 09-29-2005 | 02:59 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sobe
For about $600 you can get tire and wheel insurance, good for 5 years up to $4000 ....... do you know what I am thinking ?
Where would I get that? I go through one set of tires a year at least on the track.

How would they know if you are just replacing worn down tires vs tires that got a hole in them?

Would they pay for both if one tire went down?

My lease is about to end, and I had to replace my 2 front tires because the valve blew out on the 405S in front of LAX [sucked]

Thanks,
Old 09-29-2005 | 03:06 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Have the tire plugged and patched on the inside and it is as good and as strong as new.
Old 09-29-2005 | 03:14 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Have the tire plugged and patched on the inside and it is as good and as strong as new.

"Can you adequately repair speed-rated tires? Some tire manufacturers disagree, but at least one (Goodyear) says you can. They do specify that there can be only a single repair, less than one-quarter inch in diameter, per tire."

source: http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...tml?page=3&c=y

I guess there is a split of authority out there
Old 09-29-2005 | 03:30 PM
997 C2
Intermediate

Thanks for the help guys. I went on the Michelin site (have PS2's) and found this. It was not specific to the PS2's:

TIRE DAMAGE NEEDING REPAIR
A tire that loses all or most of its air pressure must be removed from the wheel for a complete inspection to be sure it is not internally damaged. Driving for even short distances on underinflated tires may be dangerous and often damages the tires beyond repair.

Most punctures, nail holes, or cuts up to 1/4 inch confined to the tread may be satisfactorily repaired by trained personnel using industry-approved procedures. An on-the-wheel plug-only repair is not reliable and may cause further damage to the tire.

The proper repair of a radial tire includes the placing of a rubber patch on the inner liner of the tire by a professional. Do not attempt to have repaired tires with tread punctures larger than 1/4-inch, or any sidewall puncture. Also, do not have tires repaired that are worn below 2/32nd-inch tread depth.
Old 09-29-2005 | 03:31 PM
brownie
Advanced

I purchased tire and wheel insurance through my Porsche dealer when I paid for my car.
Old 09-29-2005 | 03:40 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

I have to say that I've had a couple of nail holes patched (on the inside) on my 996's Michelins and have never had any problems. And that includes many tripple digit runs. This is not to mention the Michelins and Goodyears on our other three cars, including an Audi allroad that sees tripple digits once in a while.

I'm sorry, but I pick up too many nails in this city to go replacing tires every time I do. The belts are plenty strong even with a little hole (that's why we pay the big bucks for Michelins, right?). One key is the inside patch from a reputable shop. Another key is not driving on flat or very low tires.

TIRE DAMAGE NEEDING REPAIR
A tire that loses all or most of its air pressure must be removed from the wheel for a complete inspection to be sure it is not internally damaged. Driving for even short distances on underinflated tires may be dangerous and often damages the tires beyond repair.

Most punctures, nail holes, or cuts up to 1/4 inch confined to the tread may be satisfactorily repaired by trained personnel using industry-approved procedures. An on-the-wheel plug-only repair is not reliable and may cause further damage to the tire.

The proper repair of a radial tire includes the placing of a rubber patch on the inner liner of the tire by a professional. Do not attempt to have repaired tires with tread punctures larger than 1/4-inch, or any sidewall puncture. Also, do not have tires repaired that are worn below 2/32nd-inch tread depth.
Old 09-29-2005 | 03:53 PM
GT3BB
Racer

In the event of a puncture of some sort, these low profile tires can have unseen damage to the inside of the tire caused by contact with the rim. You need to inspect the inside of the tire.

There is little more than a inch or two distance between the rim and the inside of the tire and it does not require too much loss of pressure before there is contact.
Old 09-29-2005 | 04:03 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by GT3BB
In the event of a puncture of some sort, these low profile tires can have unseen damage to the inside of the tire caused by contact with the rim. You need to inspect the inside of the tire.

There is little more than a inch or two distance between the rim and the inside of the tire and it does not require too much loss of pressure before there is contact.
That's why you should only run good RIB tires when you run low profile as they do not allow the rim to touch the ground with a flat. That is, unless you are so oblivious to the handling of the car and don't realize that you are missing 20 pounds of air or more in your tire.
Old 09-29-2005 | 05:30 PM
ultimate
Advanced

Got a small scrap metal piece (about the size of a nail) in a rear Michellin, went to the best local store (carried wheel in, so it was never driven on), the Michellin rep happened to be there and advised it could safely be patched from the inside and it would lose 1 speed rating, so I have to keep it under , I think it is, 170 mph now. I think I am OK with that.
Old 09-29-2005 | 06:32 PM
GT3BB
Racer

I would think most would be very nervous driving at that speed on a patched tire.
Old 09-29-2005 | 08:56 PM
jcf7
Pro

I just went through this. I drove to the side of the road when I noticed a loss of air. when the tire was removed it had "bubbled" inside....it obviously needed to replaced. at worse case, I suggest you take the tire off and inspect its insides. good luck.

Quick Reply: Flat Repair