Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best thing about PCCBs? It is this...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 06:52 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The best thing about PCCBs? It is this...

I went back and forth and against dealer advice on the PCCBs and selected this option notwithstanding the $8K ludicrous price tag. Why? brake dust.

You would think its the stellar performance of the superior braking technology and performance from Germany. Nope. In all honesty, the brakes work excellent, but I am not enough of a racing guru that I can really tell the difference between the red brakes and the yellow brakes. But then again I have not driven any other 997s with non-PCCBs either.

Instead, the true beauty is the lack of brake dust. I have been an M5 owner for three years. That Beast sheds more dust than my sheppard mutt sheds hair after a summer bath. And the M5 dust is heavy - it does not budge with the force of a garden hose. And, not only that, but if you miss a spot with the wheel cleaner brush, it is quite noticable. It takes me almost 45 minutes per wheel, with P21S wheel cleaner, 2 different wheel brushes, hoses, and about 8 hand towels full of black crap after EVERY car wash. After three years, no matter how careful I was, there are spots from the chemical wheel cleaners. The lease is up next month. I will not miss that part of the car at all (but I will certainly miss every other aspect of the Beast for sure )

As for my new PCCBs? I washed the car for the first time a few days ago. There was NO brake dust - just some regular good ole road dirt. All I used was good old fashioned soap and water and a cold rinse. And its spotless!!! No brushes...no P21S....no dirty towels.... and its spotless.

I would pay the $8K all over again just for the lack of brake dust and ease of washing and take the performance enhancements as a side effect.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 68 Posts

Its nice to have a lot of money no? Just kidding i'm sure they are fantastic brakes too!
Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Wow. $8k for no brake dust. When I think of all the other things you could do to a 997S with an extra $8k to spend, "no brake dust" doesn't even make the top 100. Unless you're going to track your car (a lot), the PCCB option is tough to justify...for most people.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:08 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I got PCCB's only because they were on my launch car and I made a quick, unplanned and emotional purchase (with no regrets!). I kind of doubt I would order PCCB's because they are terribly damn expensive. However, since I have them, all I can say is it is very, very nice not to have any brake dust at all (as far as I have noticed), and they are awesome brakes (and the yellow calipers look cool!).

One bit of warning - I have experienced driving in the rain, as have other rennlisters, that after you drive a while without braking, the PCCB's don't have that quick initial bite I am used to with steel rotors - there is just a brief nanosecond at first when its a little scary before they warm back up.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rejex for easier dust cleanup
Old 08-24-2005, 08:17 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I agree, no brake dust and I also have Rejex on the wheels, no fuss, no muss. I haven't experienced the brake lag mentioned by jcnesq. I thought they bit really well in the rain. Although, I've only had her in the rain (light 5 minute shower) so I don't have enough experience in the rain to make a thorough assessment. They also never turn orange from moisture.

Old 08-24-2005, 08:22 PM
vtach88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you leased your car (M5), why are you so careful? Some prefer the "darkened wheel" appearance associated with brake dust encrusted wheels!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:31 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

No brake dust is definately a big selling point. I agree, and the PCCBs have tempted me. But 8 grand would sure buy a lot of professional car detailing. Heck, you can even get the guys that come to your house. 8 grand is probably 80 details.

As far as brake feel goes, the black caliper brakes on my 996 are amazing. And I can't wait for the even better red caliper turbo brakes that'll be on my 997S.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:37 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Whoa!! K...Time out. I forget sometimes that when posting things get said that are not as they were meant!!

No, I did not order PCCBs because there is no brake dust! I posted this because I was so excited AFTER the fact that I no longer have the brake dust issue, which I realized after the first wash. I am crazy for sure, but not crazy enough to order these expensive brakes simply to avoid brake dust. The comment was meant more as sarcasm.

Yes I plan on tracking the car after taking some performance driving lessons. I also plan on owning the car for at least 7-10 years so I wanted to order every conceivable option that I would like down the road. This is my dream car and I only plan on ordering a car like this once and consider myself very lucky at that. So, I went for the performance options such as sport chrono, PCCB, etc. I dont know about new springs, at least not yet, until I can fully appreciate the stock ride.

A bit scarry cause it certainly did look like I posted that I ordered PCCBs to avoid brake dust. It is, however, a NICE side effect!!!!

As for the M5.... why do I care since its a lease? Cause the wheels look awesome when they shine. It is just so damn hard to keep them that way.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:10 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

LOL, no worries 1080!

I, in fact, did consider the PCCBs for the mere fact that they produce no brake dust. Being that was the only reason I could think of for getting them I decided against them. Also, I figure the turbo brakes are probably amazing in their own right.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:42 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Thanks AeroSmith.

Jcnesq, thanks for the lookout on the wet brakes. If I ever take her out in the rain Ill let you know if I experience that bite issue. But, that is ribbing I got on another thread so Ill leave it at that!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The choice wasn’t mine they were on the car when I bought it, but I will say after driving BMW's..dusty in two days.. I love the PCCB's....no dust to speak of....oh yeah they stop well also
Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Dude, you are 100% right....I hate freaking brake dust and BMW's are the worst.

I wish I had them and would gladly shell out the $ for them....
Old 08-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mercedes and bmws seem to have ALOT of brake dust, all the 5 series , 3 series i see out there, my M3, my families various mercedes... the front wheels are usually nearly black!
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

You know, you can just install dust free brake pads Enjoy em, I would if I could ...

Quick Reply: The best thing about PCCBs? It is this...