Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The best thing about PCCBs? It is this...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well then, okay, I'll come right out and admit it that if I could afford to blow an additional $8k I would get the brakes specifically just for the dust free feature, and then paint the calipers red 'cuz I like red better than yellow. And those of you who know me by now are not surprised by that statement.

But, hey, I just read the literature that RejeX has on their website and according to an advertised testimonial, "Brake dust washed off the RejeX-side wheels with plain water." I'm highly skeptical and excited at the same time, and at just $19.95 a bottle I’m gonna give it a try. And if it works according to this claim, Halleluiah! I’m free at least! Thank God almighty I’m free at last! But the skeptic in me from Missouri says "Show me" then I’ll become a believer for sure. And for a mere 20 bucks, that’s a gamble I’m willing to take if the promise of being able to just hose down the brake dust off the wheels is actually realized. And if it works, I’ll offer to make a commercial for them where I say, "I just saved 8 grand on my car purchase by switching to RejeX." The proof is in the pudding my friends, and as soon as I try it, this skeptic will be promptly reporting back to you with the results.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:13 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not that any of you believe me now, but it wasn't only for the dust!! I swear!!! It was the once in the lifetime purchase theory and I went for it to assure I had no regrets.

Besides, at least the brakes are truly functional, as opposed to the money spent on the PSE to get louder exhaust! o boy here it comes......

hey my membership is active
Old 08-25-2005, 10:40 AM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Not that any of you believe me now, but it wasn't only for the dust!! I swear!!!
Yeah right! Reminds me of Pat Robertson's explanation yesterday when he said he didn't say "assassinate", but that he said "take out, not assassinate", only to recant later and come clean with a full apology after someone showed him the tape.

Shall we roll the tape, Mr. 1080?
Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
I went back and forth and against dealer advice on the PCCBs and selected this option notwithstanding the $8K ludicrous price tag. Why? brake dust. ... I would pay the $8K all over again just for the lack of brake dust and ease of washing and take the performance enhancements as a side effect.

Btw, congrats on getting upgraded! Now make a nice avatar of that fine ride you have.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:48 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

....Busted, down on bourbon street, set up, like a bowlin' pin.
Knocked down, it get's to wearin' thin. they just won't let you be, oh no...
Old 08-25-2005, 11:11 AM
OCBen
Banned

Sorry Bud. I just couldn't resist.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:38 AM
1whobuys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the PCCB's...

50% weight reduction, better handling, never fade, very little brake dust that will wipe off with a rag, stopping power from hell, never rust under any conditions, turn to a gun metal grey fininsh that looks fantastic with the Basalt Black car and Euro side lights, polished stainless steel hubs.

This is my my favorite option on a car with 28k in options.....

Would I get them again?.....In a Heart Beat
Old 08-25-2005, 11:40 AM
rotthaus
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I have experienced driving in the rain . . . the PCCB's don't have that quick initial bite I am used to with steel rotors - there is just a brief nanosecond at first when its a little scary before they warm back up.
I have had this experience also, but only in cases of heavy rain.

I ponied up for the PCCB's for the reduced unsprung weight. It more than made up for the weight added by the Bose and Sport Seats. Ease of cleaning is a nice benefit. Mine do generate some dust, but it blows right off the wheel. They also look really good on the Lapis Blue car.

In the event that I actually wear them out I will have to decide if replacements are worth buying them again of if something else is a better deal.

Greg
2005 Carrera S Coupe, Lapis Blue Metallic, Carrera Classic Wheels, PCCB, Bose, Sport Shifter, Sport Seats
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The repeated stoping power time after time from 100+ is AWESOME, as experienced at Barber Motorsports Park during PDE.
The pedal feel is more solid than cars equiped with steel.
If you know Barber MSP, it is a big braking track.
I don't have them but wish I did, not for the dust issue but for their outstanding performance!!

Photo below is a rotor of a PDE car with 4,000 "track miles" @ Barber :
Old 08-25-2005, 12:31 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

best thing about ceramics is not having them....
not to be cynical. The standard breaks on a 997 are fantastic... i would use rejex and spend 8,000 on de schools and pads if it were me JM2Cs
Old 08-25-2005, 12:32 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

OK, now you guys have me thinking that I need to add these to my order.

I bet the stopping power is amaizng......but the red caliper turbo brakes are better than wht I have now.....but no brake dust..........but the turbo brakes don't cost 8 grand................arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg....
Old 08-25-2005, 12:51 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I'll jump in. The PCCB's are hot. Yes, they look great. I can't say anything about their performance because I have honestly never used them.

When it came time to get my 997S, I decided to go with a pre-ordered car. I am lucky, I found my 06 on the exact date it completed production, but there was no way to add any options. I found exactly what I wanted, however.

While the PCCB's were exciting, there were a few concerns that I had:
1) I have been pretty active on the road course circuit for the past year and there are plenty of P-cars running the courses. I've seen and spoke with several PCCB owners about their experience. They all say the brakes stop like a champ, but there were some concerns over the cracking in the discs that they were experiencing. And on top of that, Porsche was not standing behind the brakes citing excessive track abuse as the root.

2) The cost of replacement. I'm not sure if we know anybody that has needed replacements yet, or even how long a set of rotors will last under normal or even track-like conditions. However, 10g's for a set of replacement rotors is ridiculous!!!

It was at that point that I decided, the way I go through brake pads on my previous cars, there was no way I was going to be purchasing 10,000 replacement discs, even if I had to do it once. That was just a little too difficult to swallow.

The steel brakes are great for me. They stop on a dime, and to be perfectly honest, shed less dust than any of my previous cars. And that's including setups with dust-free pads, brembos, cars, trucks, etc.

It is defnitely a nice feature to have, but IMHO, it was not a deal maker or breaker. Therefore, I'm very happy with my choice for steel brakes, BUT, that does no mean they are not PERFECT for you!! Weigh your pros and cons and you make the decision.

As for the comment regarding the PSE, 2,000 for an exhaust system is damn expensive, yes. BUT...I have had "eye-opening" experiences regarding my cars and warranty experiences. Let's just say I've had enough of car manufacturers negating their warranty responsiblitiy for even the most ridiculous mod claim. (catback exhaust for example)

I was not going to put an exhaust on my near-$100k Porsche just to have something (anything!) go wrong and be told it's my expense and my trouble since I have an aftermarket catback exhaust on the car.

The PSE allows me to have the cool, quiet character for business, clients, or just those days where I feel like breaking the law "only a litlle bit." Then there are the days where Sport goes on, PASM is activated, and I just break loose. Exhaust ringing in my ears, that flat-6 sound just piercing the air as I scream past 120...

It's all a matter of personal opinion and past experiences I guess. I'm happy as long as ya'll enjoy your car. I know I do.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris C.
You know, you can just install dust free brake pads
Now wait a minute. Did I just hear a sanity check in that statement? The brake dust is coming from the pads as they wear down, not the steel rotors, right? D'oh!

Do you know who makes such a dust free pad? I'm sure the pads off the PCCB's won't be compatible with a steel rotor, assuming they fit, which they probably don't in order to make it idiot proof. No doubt the ceramic pads and the composite rotors were optimized together to yield the highest coefficient of friction between the two. Which leads me to believe that the pads on our steel rotor brakes are probably optimized for maximum friction, unless it can be shown that there are better performing pads available aftermarket, which also happen to generate less brake dust. But I certainly wouldn't want to trade stopping performance for less brake dust. I'm not that ****!
Old 08-25-2005, 01:51 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Thanks, NoSubEDU, I think you just saved me $8,000. In all honesty I'm just excited to be going from black to rad caliper braking systems.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:14 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

stick with steel

down the road you will be happier
Old 08-25-2005, 02:39 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

How much does it cost to replace the steel rotors? I am sure its probably not too far off from replacing the ceramic ones.
Anybody know how long that each on them will last. The steel ones look like they would never need to be replaced.

I wash my wheels once a week and basicaly never have to use a chemicals just hot water and soap. Brake dust really isn't to bad on the front and non-existant on the rears.

Quick Reply: The best thing about PCCBs? It is this...