Sponsored by:

PDE cars ....what color?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 04:29 PM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDE cars ....what color?

I am looking for a 997 (S or base) second hand...is difficult to find a car. The concern that I have is how can I find out if a particular car has been used (i.e. abused) in the Porsche Driving Experience events? Are those cars all black (black seems to be the color more available in the market at reasonable prices)

Thanks
Old 08-06-2005, 04:33 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

About 18 months ago there was a flood of PDE cars on the market. One dealer told me they were "executive" cars, and the same for another rennlister. When the other guy sat down to do the purchase paperwork, the same dealer handed him a disclosure form that clearly stated the car had been used in PDE (he got up and walked out, very PO'd). If you buy from a dealer, I'm sure they have to disclose PDE use. I don't think relying on color is very reliable.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:49 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The current 997 Carrera used at PDE are Arctic Silver and the Carrera S, I believe, Atlas Grey ( I forgot to read the door sticker ).

FWIW, after having been there, I would not say that PDE cars are abused. Porsches are stout to begin with, as you know, and Barber is a smooth track ( no "real world" pot holes or stop and go traffic ). Combine that with the TLC the instructors request and fact that they only use 3rd and 4th gear you would actually get a nicely broken in 911.

I know that I treated my PDE car like it was my own.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Base 997's are Arctic.
997"S" cars are Black with PCCB

I believe it is a bit early to see these cars on the resale circuit, since I do not believe they have rotated out to MY06 cars yet. I'll check on Tuesday, as I will be attending the PDE Masters course
Old 08-06-2005, 06:44 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
Base 997's are Arctic.
997"S" cars are Black with PCCB

I believe it is a bit early to see these cars on the resale circuit, since I do not believe they have rotated out to MY06 cars yet. I'll check on Tuesday, as I will be attending the PDE Masters course
You'll be able to see all the damage to the track from the Grand Am race today. What a mess. George isn't going to be happy with the shape they left his track in.

Congrats to Dave M. on a great drive in the Nissan.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:21 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
You'll be able to see all the damage to the track from the Grand Am race today. What a mess. George isn't going to be happy with the shape they left his track in.

Congrats to Dave M. on a great drive in the Nissan.
GAC race was last Sat, tape delay on Speed...interesting note....

(July 31, 2005) -- No. 69 Krohn Racing/TRG Porsche 996 co-drivers Nic Jönsson and Tracy Krohn have been stripped of their victory in the Barber Park 200 by Grand-Am Cup Series officials for using an illegal engine in Saturday's race at Barber Motorsports Park. No. 13 Unitech Racing Nissan 350Z co-drivers Blake Rosser and David Murry, who crossed the line 0.718 seconds behind Jönsson, have been declared the winners of the Barber Park 200.

To our fans,

This past weekend at Barber Motorsports Park, our 2003 Porsche GS Race car was disqualified in post-race impound for running an illegal X-51 Engine, which is a higher horsepowered version of the standard 3.6 liter engine which comes standard in the 2003 Porsche 911. Both of these engines are available as off the shelf purchases from Porsche. When Krohn Racing/TRG took control of the car from two previous race teams, a new motor had been ordered by one of the previous teams, and was delivered to us in a crate as part of the spares that accompanied the car. The engine was recently installed to replace the tired motor from 2 years of hard running. Unfortunately, the crew members from our team that also work for the DP program, did not realize that this engine was not a stock engine and not legal to be running in the GS class of Grand-Am. The car had passed tech leading up to this event as well, and unfortunately - no one realized the error. Ironically, after doing the engine swap, the X-51 engine was never matched to the old ECU, to take advantage of the possible increased horsepower that the engine is capable of making. Once we learned of the rule, we did not appeal, nor argue, and immediately purchased the correct, legal engine which we will have for the remainder of the season. We realize that we have a lot of loyal fans and we try to run our program in the utmost professional manner. We apologize to our fans and competitiors for this oversite, and can not stress enough that it was an honset mistake which will not happen again. Thanks, Mike Johnson, Team Manager Krohn Racing/TRG
Old 08-06-2005, 09:21 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fer2367
I am looking for a 997 (S or base) second hand...is difficult to find a car.

Thanks
It's really not that difficult to find them. Nation wide, there are currently 141 used 2005 997 P-cars listed on Edmunds.com, which accesses AutoTrader.com. Use the Power Search to narrow your selection criteria. 34 of the 141 cars are within 300 miles of Coral Gables, Florida. You can also check Usedcars.com. Now, all of that said, finding the right one MAY be difficult.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:25 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn MJ you sure do like that masters course, why not just take your own car to some DEs and save a little cash?
When I did it, couldn't wait to get my own car on the track. Enjoy.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:24 PM
VB997
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey MJones,

I'm taking the Master's class on Tuesday also...see you there

Quick Reply: PDE cars ....what color?