Sponsored by:

Bright colors and unwanted attention

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 12:08 PM
dhartger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bright colors and unwanted attention

I’m in the market for a 997 of some sort in the next year or so, I’d like to wait until some more 997 variants become available (GT3, Turbo etc.) before purchasing.

My main concern is that I am a big fan of Speed Yellow and Guards Red. Pure Orange has even caught my attention as a really far out choice.

How much extra unwanted attention will a bright, aggressive color bring, vs. a more sedate one like Seal Gray? I’m talking about teenagers in rice mobiles, mustangs, hot bikes, or whatever trying to pick a race at every opportunity.

I’m also somewhat concerned about extra attention from law enforcement. Currently I drive a black e36 M3 and a gray 740il and folks never even notice me. Its great, almost like having a cloaking device!

Neither car has the required front license plate and the cops never seem to take notice. Only one ticket in the last eight years despite the fact that I am usually traveling 15 or 20 MPH faster than interstate traffic, when traffic is light.

So, bottom line, in your experience will a bright colored 997 bring on extra trouble vs. a sedate color, or not?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:22 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I almost bought a red 997S, but went for a black one instead. My reasoning was that I wanted a brand new car and wanted to do business with a dealer, and it relates to my previous car experience.

Nevertheless, the car is still for-sale and is immaculate. I almost bought it. So pretty.

997 S For-Sale on Rennlist
Old 07-27-2005, 12:49 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a GR "S", no problems, no unwanted attention, it's just another car.
My previous 996 was Orient Red, no problems nor unwanted attention there either.

Take a look around you there are alot more RED cars on the street than you think.

Old 07-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I share the same thoughts about bright colors,...my C4S will most likely be Speed Yellow with Guards Red as a possibility.
I did a pole here on Rennlist asking about the 'attractiveness' of these colors to the police:
Do Bright P-Cars attract cops?
The results are just what you think they would be,...yes.
Get the color that makes you happiest
Old 07-27-2005, 04:39 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer more "stealthy" colors. It seems like it's the brighter colors that you see pulled over by a cop on the side of the road. What's that tell you? They look good but they stick out a little more.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:43 PM
WULF
Instructor

Speed Yellow is definately a cop magnet.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:46 PM
GT3BB
Racer

I'm not sure with radar and laser detectors these days, the color of the car makes any difference any more.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:58 PM
WULF
Instructor

Depends if they are legal where your driving and if you have to play cat and mouse with radar detector detectors
Old 07-27-2005, 07:13 PM
dhartger
Intermediate

Actually the cops are a secondary concern, most worried about "stalkers" from the general public.

I have to admit that I changed lanes the other day to follow a gray 996 turbo for a while just to admire the view, nothing conspicuous though.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:48 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dhartger
I’m in the market for a 997 of some sort in the next year or so, I’d like to wait until some more 997 variants become available (GT3, Turbo etc.) before purchasing.

My main concern is that I am a big fan of Speed Yellow and Guards Red. Pure Orange has even caught my attention as a really far out choice.

How much extra unwanted attention will a bright, aggressive color bring, vs. a more sedate one like Seal Gray? I’m talking about teenagers in rice mobiles, mustangs, hot bikes, or whatever trying to pick a race at every opportunity.

I’m also somewhat concerned about extra attention from law enforcement. Currently I drive a black e36 M3 and a gray 740il and folks never even notice me. Its great, almost like having a cloaking device!

Neither car has the required front license plate and the cops never seem to take notice. Only one ticket in the last eight years despite the fact that I am usually traveling 15 or 20 MPH faster than interstate traffic, when traffic is light.

So, bottom line, in your experience will a bright colored 997 bring on extra trouble vs. a sedate color, or not?
I ordered a speed yellow 911 Cab and is scheduled to arrive in Sep. I also thought about special order a metallic orange (like the one on Murcielago) but the dealer said they cannot guarantee the ship date with special color. I don't (can't) worry about the car being a cop magnet because you will get his/her attention no matter what because it is a Porsche. Besides, you should pick the color you want as you are paying a lot for it.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:05 AM
MMD
Banned

Depends where you live. If you're in LA, get any color you want. In small town get subdued color.

Keep in mind when we pass someone, on a rural highway, in a $100K car they can get really pissed. The more ccolroful it is the more they will remember you.

Worst case scenario: They can get your plate number and ask their cousin who works at the DMV to get your address too!

I'd get a beautiful color which doesn't stand out like a sore thumb; except in LA of course.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:49 PM
tooner
Advanced

Color a Lambo any color you want it will attract "wanted" and "unwanted attention" same deal with a p-car.

911's that don't attract attention are those in a garage.

IMO
Old 07-28-2005, 10:09 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I did some scientific work on this this morning. As I got on the freeway, there were about 15 cars about 1/3 mile back. You guessed it, the only one that stood out like a sore thumb was the "speed yellow" Z06. There was also a huge Dodge pickup in "guards red", but I hardly noticed that. As I drive to work, it was clear there were quite a few red cars, but they don't really stand out that much. But everything yellow stood out like a blinking neon sign at midnight in the desert. I guess that's why they call it "ticket me yellow".
Old 07-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I did some scientific work on this this morning. As I got on the freeway, there were about 15 cars about 1/3 mile back. You guessed it, the only one that stood out like a sore thumb was the "speed yellow" Z06. There was also a huge Dodge pickup in "guards red", but I hardly noticed that. As I drive to work, it was clear there were quite a few red cars, but they don't really stand out that much. But everything yellow stood out like a blinking neon sign at midnight in the desert. I guess that's why they call it "ticket me yellow".
"Ticket me yellow" yes, but what about "Arrest me Red?"
Old 07-28-2005, 10:20 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I just didn't see the red cars standing out that much - no comparison at all to the attention yellow brings.

Quick Reply: Bright colors and unwanted attention