Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Problem - Anyone ever see this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:47 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. MJones, my battery has not been disconnected nor has it been fully drained, but those "re-training" instructions look very promising. I'll give this a shot first, and if it doesn't do the trick, I'll examine florindi's approach to see if I can figure out exactly what he's referring to.

Thanks a lot guys.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:01 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porky
A friend of mine had a similar problem in a BRAND NEW car and cannot get rid of the STENCH of dampness!!! He can't even sell the damn thing now and its only 18 months old!
Tell your friend to buy or rent an ozone generator to eliminate those satanic stenches. Available in marine supply stores/catalogs. Westmarine.com Or somewhere on net. Will probably work. Also put a small fan in the car's recesses in addition to the one in the OG unit.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:07 PM
MMD
Banned

OCBen, sorry to see that. Definitely a totally unwanted PITA relative to your new car.

Lets hope the "re-teaching" process does the trick.

Makes me annoyed to think you (and us here) have to GUESS about how to fix. The dealer should be on the hot line to Porsche to get answers. I mean how can they deliver a car without checking everything out first? Makes you wonder. I'd give the dealership a less than "excellent" rating on this prep issue when the survey comes out.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:13 PM
OCBen
Banned

Hi MMD, thanks for your concern. The dealer has received the posted photo and will be contacting PCNA today with a copy of it to see what they recommend. I will mention the "re-programming" technique to see if this is all it will take. The dealer is not to blame here. They did all they normally do during vehicle checkout and prep. They don't turn on the wipers or operate the headlamp washers or turn on every single feature the car is equipped with. Quality inspection is supposedly done at Checkpoint 8 at the factory. The dealership still gets excellent ratings; the jury is still out regarding the quality inspection at the factory, pending the resolution of this problem. If it's just a matter of an EMI electrical glitch that is easily corrected by re-programming, I don't think the factory inspectors would have caught it.

I'll keep everyone posted on the eventual resolution.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:33 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Get in your car
Just give the "re-programming" a try...
nothing to loose
Old 07-13-2005, 02:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

Hey MJ, thanks. Btw, do you have the Renntech.org link for that fix? I've been trying to find it.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:17 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...owtopic=56&hl=
Old 07-13-2005, 02:57 PM
OCBen
Banned

Thanks again MJ. I'll try this ASAP. I PM'd Loren to show him a pic of my sunroof to see if he thinks his instructions will do the trick.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the re-teaching does not work and no button action causes the roof to completely close - then there must be a mechanical binding or a microwitch that has moved. Can you ever get the roof to close properly with the button?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:04 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
If it's just a matter of an EMI electrical glitch that is easily corrected by re-programming, I don't think the factory inspectors would have caught it.

I'll keep everyone posted on the eventual resolution.
Yeah good points, I'm glad you're getting satisfaction from your dealer. the thing might have been just fine at "checkpoint 8" and EMI screwed it up after delivery. We're all waiting to hear if the "re-boot" technique works.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess my sunroof wasn't completely closed after all. When operating it today I noticed that the rear was flush when fully closed with the switch. I guess I never looked at it closely enough to notice or even care.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:58 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Loren
If the re-teaching does not work and no button action causes the roof to completely close - then there must be a mechanical binding or a microwitch that has moved. Can you ever get the roof to close properly with the button?
Hi Loren, thanks for the response.

As I mentioned in my initial post and elsewhere, when I push the button with the forward pointing arrow the sunroof goes as far forward as it can with the rear edge hanging below the roof line as you see in the photo. When I tap the center round button (the one that lifts the rear edge of the panel up in what I've been calling "vent" mode, which be the way works fine in this position) I am able to line up the rear edge flush with the roof line. If I overshoot, I repeat the process until I get it just right (usually the second time does it). But this is the only way I can get it to "close properly" meaning getting the rear edge flush with the roof.

But seeing that boolala's sunroof "corrected itself", I'm beginning to feel pretty upbeat now about possibly getting it resolved without major surgery. Will keep y'all posted! Keeping fingers crossed!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:00 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
I guess my sunroof wasn't completely closed after all. When operating it today I noticed that the rear was flush when fully closed with the switch. I guess I never looked at it closely enough to notice or even care.
What do you care? It's just a friggin car!!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Ooooh ... .... be nice now. ... I sure hope you're good friends with boolala, that way he'll and the rest of us will know that you're just pulling his leg.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:35 PM
florindi
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are going back and forth over this! Try Mjones idea or try mine. If you don't feel comfortable then take it to another dealer. I know my method works because I had the same problem. The manual mechanical movement of the roof can be adjusted by turning the screw as I mentioned earlier.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Problem - Anyone ever see this?