Sponsored by:

Sunroof Problem - Anyone ever see this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:18 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Here is a pic of the RoW Sunroof Delete option!
WOW, I never dreamed whole body of the car was permanently attached to the sunroof. Holy cow!
Old 07-18-2005, 08:54 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
WOW, I never dreamed whole body of the car was permanently attached to the sunroof. Holy cow!
Yeah, go figure! They should have planned the sunroof around the body rather than the other way around. I guess that's why the "Sunroof Delete" isn't option isn't available over here!

... and what do you think about the new 997 front aero-bumper on this one? Not as streamlined as I thought it would be! Not really to my taste!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Fixed it myself! …Did it yesterday.
Thanks to florindi for suggesting this method. Works like a charm, and should be the official fix for the problem as soon as they come out with the official repair bulletin on it. I’m glad I did it myself. Took my time and was super gentle with all the components as I removed them, didn’t force anything, wasn’t in a hurry to get the job done as a tech might be, and most importantly I was able to get the alignment just right – perfect from my critical perspective – after several patient attempts. I cycled the sunroof a number of times just to make sure it didn’t slip out of the alignment, and it aligns up perfectly now after each closure. The key step in the instructions is to “press” the hex key into the socket, and keep it pressed, as this will disengage the lock.
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2005, 02:33 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Ben, you are one crazy Porsche nut!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2005, 04:48 PM
CO997
Racer

Congrats! Glad you were able to get it fixed, especially without having to take it to the dealer.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:02 PM
steve baker
1st Gear

Originally Posted by OCBen
Fixed it myself! …Did it yesterday.
Thanks to florindi for suggesting this method. Works like a charm, and should be the official fix for the problem as soon as they come out with the official repair bulletin on it. I’m glad I did it myself. Took my time and was super gentle with all the components as I removed them, didn’t force anything, wasn’t in a hurry to get the job done as a tech might be, and most importantly I was able to get the alignment just right – perfect from my critical perspective – after several patient attempts. I cycled the sunroof a number of times just to make sure it didn’t slip out of the alignment, and it aligns up perfectly now after each closure. The key step in the instructions is to “press” the hex key into the socket, and keep it pressed, as this will disengage the lock.
Thanks for sharing this fix! Worked for me too today on my MY07 Carrera.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
The dealer is not to blame here. They did all they normally do during vehicle checkout and prep. They don't turn on the wipers or operate the headlamp washers or turn on every single feature the car is equipped with. Quality inspection is supposedly done at Checkpoint 8 at the factory. The dealership still gets excellent ratings; the jury is still out regarding the quality inspection at the factory, pending the resolution of this problem.
That all depends on what Porsches inspection processes are. IF the process the dealer should follow prior to deliver is operate the sun roof and close it again, and the dealer didn't do that step, then it is a dealer issue, because they should have done the check and fixed it before they ever handed over the car to you. Does anyone know what the official pre-delivery inspection in the US is?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:18 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

"""Funny how folks see things differently. I'd pay to have the sunroof be glass! Every car I have had since a mid 90's 540i has had glass."" has porsche never offered a glass roof?, could one get one made?, i suppose 'just ad money' and it could happen...
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by kkswow12
"""Funny how folks see things differently. I'd pay to have the sunroof be glass! Every car I have had since a mid 90's 540i has had glass."" has porsche never offered a glass roof?, could one get one made?, i suppose 'just ad money' and it could happen...
I'd pay to NOT have a sunroof.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I'd pay to NOT have a sunroof.
Buy a 991 and you won't have to!

Quick Reply: Sunroof Problem - Anyone ever see this?