Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What don't or didn't you like about the 997/S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 03:24 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, no doubt about it... I would much rather have an integrated dry sump engine with a dip stick any day than an external dry sump one without. I don't plan on tracking my 997 and an integrated dry sump will fit my needs just fine. ... I do plan, however, on changing my own oil and I would prefer to have a dipstick for that purpose.

So in simple terms, if there were two different types of engines available that differed only in the type of dry sump and dipstick availability (output power being identical), I would opt for the one with the dipstick in a heartbeat!

Last edited by OCBen; 05-23-2005 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Meant to say external dry sump instead of separate.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:39 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
geof - As you can see, I've had two glasstop Targas, and I do like them and take a special interest in them. My bet is that there will be a 997 Targa - about the only thing that remains unchanged 996 to 997 is the roofline, meaning its a no brainer to slap a Targa top on. I'd guess we'd see it only after the rest of the normal line is filled out (turbos, 4's), but maybe for 2007 model year??
I'll be waiting with the patience of a saint.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I don't like the fact that people that don't own one complain about what they don't like about it..
Sorry!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:32 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just look at my avatar..........The 997 is the best looking car on the road PERIOD!

It is even better to drive it everyday!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2005, 03:32 PM
CJ997
8th Gear

Originally Posted by PV
After a quick check in my left door (it was resonating with some particular music), I have no addtional noise, yet. Quality wise: did everybody check in detail their headlights??
This might help some of you with this problem.

I had resonance in both doors with a specific base frequesncy from the speakers which drove me nuts. It went away if I opened the door storage cover and pulled the storage surround towards me. As soon as I let go, it returned.

The dealer fixed the problem, which was caused by a tube that feeds compressed air to the door airbag vibrating agains the internals of the door. They put some tape around the tube where it was touching the door, and the problem has now been fixed.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:08 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

No SAT radio option or real use for sim card application?? Are you kidding me....this is a Porsche, right??
Old 05-29-2005, 11:57 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I just noticed that my "optional" mats have a worn spot, down to the base material, where my right foot/shoe heel rests. I've worn the same type of dress shoe for many years and this has never happened in any other car....especially only after 11k miles and 4 months. The mats are crap.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 AM
PV
Pro

I have the same thing. As said earlier this year, I'm surprised we have to pay for mats, and now they wear out within say 4000 miles.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:41 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

I should not have to do this, but I take my mat to a shop and have them sew a heel patch. It works great and the mat lasts forever. Be sure to get the edge of the patch wherer it will not catch your heel when you press the brake. For 20.00 it is a good fix.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Robbo 66
Intermediate

The ridiculous sim card system for the phone. Cars at a 3rd of this price have bluetooth.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:53 AM
CJ997
8th Gear

I don't like the way the rear view mirror vibrates over the slightest bump, causing the image in the mirror to be fuzzy most of the time.

I don't like the fact that you cannot now auto-close the windows by holding the remote keyfob button down, as you used to do with the 996 & 986.

I don't like the way that the new remote keyfob buttons are hard to find, and that you have to press the front hood release button one edge to get it to work, press on the other edge and the button doesn't depress.

I don't like the way that the car auto-locks shortly after unlocking the hood, or the car. This may be UK specific and I know it can be changed, but I am more likely to accidentally drop the keys in the boot with my luggge, then close the hood, and the car auto-lock before I open a door, than I am of leaving the car unlocked by mistake. I would rather leave the car unlocked occasionally than be forced to find another way home.

Apart from those, and the ineffective sun-visors that I have mentioned before, the 997S is just about perfect!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:44 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, I don't like the dash light dimmer switch placement. Dangerous to reach through the steering wheel while holding a cell phone against your shoulder, a latte in the other hand and driving with your knee... could spill your latte. Porsche should use three thumb wheels on top of the shift ****, like a suitcase combination lock, to control everything.

Second, I don't like the way other men look at her. Like she's just a beautiful toy rocket and not the complex, deep, sensitive machine that she really is.

Finally, she hogs the car covers.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:38 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

x, I had the same problem with the mats. My heal wore a hole in them. Normal dress shoes and the mat gets a hole.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:46 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
...Second, I don't like the way other men look at her. Like she's just a beautiful toy rocket and not the complex, deep, sensitive machine that she really is.

Finally, she hogs the car covers.
That's really funny Johnny!

Do you find other men staring at her *** .... and drooling? I get the same looks myself.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:23 PM
Speed
Pro

I love the handling, torque and sound over the 996. Also the interior quality and seats are a lot better.

My minor quibbles: (1) that they did away with being able to open the cabriolet top with the key in the door lock. Much more convenient than having to get in and start the car especially when you're carrying stuff that you just want to dump on the rear seats. (2) I really preferred the separate buttons for the front and rear windows located on the center console instead of on the door. I found them a lot easier to operate when driving. (3) The seat belt chime that won't go off.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:40 PM
tooner
Advanced

Waiting for the damn window to move to know that the top is fully retracted!

Quick Reply: What don't or didn't you like about the 997/S?