Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What don't or didn't you like about the 997/S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 01:45 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I wonder if there are adjustments to correct it.
Well, if Mr. Einstein is correct, you would simply drive at top speed from NY to California with PSE and PASM engaged and the clock should equal itself by picking up the lost minutes.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:28 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're pulling our (collective) legs, right Johnny? (Not sure that came out right.) Are you saying the clock loses 4 minutes a week? Sheesh, not even the cheapest watch anywhere is that bad! Yeah, that IS bad... I wonder if there are adjustments to correct it.
Who, me? No way, this is as SERIOUS as a police helicopter hovering over the house.

I'd sell the POS if I wasn't so completely amazed with its perfection.

Oh no, I hear the helicopter again....

Old 05-13-2005, 02:41 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you need to lay off the stuff a little bit Johnny. You're starting to get paranoid there. Did you flush it all down the toilet?
Old 05-13-2005, 03:03 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Well, if Mr. Einstein is correct, you would simply drive at top speed from NY to California with PSE and PASM engaged and the clock should equal itself by picking up the lost minutes.
Ahh...umm... I don't mean to throw a dart at an otherwise clever balloon you've floated there Addict, but ACTUALLY, the problem is compounded when the car travels fast, according to Mr. E's Relativity Theory. In Johnny's fast moving 997S his clock still ticks away slowly by 4 min/wk, but to an observer on earth his clock is even slower yet, losing more than the 4 min/wk.

Hey wait a minute! Now I know why Johnny has to adjust his clock all the time... and he doesn't even have a Flux Capacitor in his 997! ... Hey Johnny, the clock in your car is just fine.... you just need to slow down a bit. I think that's why you have police helicopters buzzing you right now!
Old 05-13-2005, 03:58 PM
texas911
Race Car

My question is why doesn't the clock set itself if you have the Nav system, like I do? On my wife's Honda Odyssey, the clock sets itself, even for daylight savings, and when it crosses time zones, it also updates itself. What be even cooler is if the speedo was GPS calibrated.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:22 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

I think you need to lay off the stuff a little bit Johnny. You're starting to get paranoid there. Did you flush it all down the toilet?
Toilet? It's not that fancy a house.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:36 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My clock is slow too.! I dont like the silver on the steering wheel..All Black like the Techart wheel would be nice!

I have a thump coming from the back...It is a thud sound and it happens when next to a car with a really loud stereo on...Like I would ever try to have the dealer figure that one out...

I also had a rattle from pass side. It was the door storage area screw...
Old 05-13-2005, 05:08 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

according to Mr. E's Relativity Theory. In Johnny's fast moving 997S his clock still ticks away slowly by 4 min/wk, but to an observer on earth his clock is even slower yet, losing more than the 4 min/wk.
Would it help if he drove from California to NY instead of NY to California? Or, do we need to know what time the train left the station first?
Old 05-13-2005, 05:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I still can't get past the useless PCM and associated buttons on our car without nav. I much prefer the new Boxster's screenless and simplified console in both look and functionality.

The slow clock is very annoying. I didn't think was that bad until my girlfriend and I had a discussion about it four months after we took delivery...I mentioned in passing that the clock seemed to lose time, and that I had to frequently change it...and then found out that she, too, had been changing it every week!
Old 05-13-2005, 06:30 PM
djantlive
Drifting

RE: rear noise, try lowering the back seat to see if the noise stops. If so, spray lube on seat back hinge and plastic latch on top of the seat back (piece that you pull to lower the seat back).
Old 05-13-2005, 08:55 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1080iAddict
Would it help if he drove from California to NY instead of NY to California? Or, do we need to know what time the train left the station first?
That's hilarious! (As I pick myself off the floor!) That's just too funny!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:51 PM
jfraser
Instructor

JohnnyNarcosis
If the clock bothers you that much go and buy the Navigation unit for the PCM....It sets the clock on the PCM and Dash....it gets the time from the satellites which are atomic clock accurate...there ya go, problem solved. Now you have a perfect car.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:32 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by jfraser
JohnnyNarcosis
If the clock bothers you that much go and buy the Navigation unit for the PCM....It sets the clock on the PCM and Dash....it gets the time from the satellites which are atomic clock accurate...there ya go, problem solved. Now you have a perfect car.
Hyperbole you see. Irritation with the clock was feigned as, I'm afraid, I was trying to use the exaggerated reaction to a trivial issue in an attempt to make a funny while highlighting the car's perfection. Honestly, the car is amazing and I count myself fortunate to own it. Apologies for the confusion.

Oh! and thank you for the great post about removing touch up paint bumps and deep scratches... good stuff.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Rob997
AutoX

Rattles in the dash.
To quiet for a sports car
Needs more power for the price
Waiting for oil measurment
Stereo not to par for price

With that said...
the experience and fun factor are priceless (those uncrowded canyons roads on a Sunday morning) OH YEAH!!!!
Old 05-14-2005, 02:00 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

I think the appearance is 95% great and 5% hmmmm. For example, the headlights are just a bit too big and the front bonnet panel shape doesn't look quite right, and the quad exhaust is not nearly as nice as two large pipes, imho. Still a significant improvement over the 996 though

On the inside, the chronometer and steering wheel are eyesores, as well as some of the plasticky parts.

Quick Reply: What don't or didn't you like about the 997/S?