Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What don't or didn't you like about the 997/S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 12:02 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of good points. However,

1. My clock is running on time since I have the P-car, and that is for 6000 miles and 5.5 months. So, there seems to be an inconsistency is some of the clocks.

2. Spare tire should be an option, not standard. I know, you can always leave it home.

Agree with the quality items. For the money there should be no additional noise besides the motor, wind and the tires. After a quick check in my left door (it was resonating with some particular music), I have no addtional noise, yet. Quality wise: did everybody check in detail their headlights??
Old 05-18-2005, 04:58 PM
jfraser
Instructor

PV do you have navigation by any chance...If so that will explain why your clock is accurate
Old 05-18-2005, 05:07 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Well, I don't have NAV and my clock has been within 2-3 minutes for 5 months now...
Old 05-18-2005, 06:27 PM
PV
Pro

Yes, good point. I do have a NAV system.

Why do I still have that button to adjust the clock???
Old 05-18-2005, 06:32 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is accurate also and nav equiped.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:31 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's something I haven't heard mentioned yet. I was disappointed that the 997 didn't finally do away with the roof rack anchor posts of the 911. I mean, for crying out loud, how many owners are actually thankful they'll be able to attach a cargo hold container on top of their $100k sportscar??? If your 911 will be your only vehicle -- your all purpose vehicle -- in your household, then, I'm sorry, but you've got priority issues to work on. But why should Porsche stop there, why not make a trailer hitch available for hauling the family trailer?

I know why it's there -- tradition, that venerable obstacle to progress -- but why not do away with something when it no longer makes sense to continue it? I see they didn't let tradition get in the way when they did away with the spare.

There are some things that are fine to continue as a tradition, such as the left side ignition switch, that are unobtrusive and not inconvenient, yet give the car a distinguishing characteristic that connects it to its beginnings. But to force a tradition for the sake of tradition such as those unseemly roof rack anchor posts that are covered by a flimsy, cheap-looking piece of plastic that can easily break off, is beyond me.

Old 05-19-2005, 12:16 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

I like the idea of Having my rear main seal replaced at 3000 miles. Or 8 system faults becuase i had the nerve to wash my car. But my cup holders work fantastic!!! lol. the car is a great car overall i couldnt be much happier with the performance. i would get another and i would pay more to have the above items fixed properly from the factory, as well as a spare tire and Jack
Old 05-19-2005, 01:47 PM
TheOldMan
Advanced

OCBen,

I like the fact that I can put a roof rack on my 911. I ride racing bikes and I stick them on the top of my 911. Why not go riding in style? Sure, I can put the bikes in the SUV or on top of the other cars in the family, but the fact that I can use my 911 on weekends along with my favorite carbon bike is actuall kind of fun. $ per pound, the racing bikes are worth more than the car!
Old 05-19-2005, 02:20 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I like the fact that I can put a roof rack on my 911. I ride racing bikes and I stick them on the top of my 911. Why not go riding in style? Sure, I can put the bikes in the SUV or on top of the other cars in the family, but the fact that I can use my 911 on weekends along with my favorite carbon bike is actuall kind of fun. $ per pound, the racing bikes are worth more than the car!
You are probably one of a small percentage of owners who would actually use the roof rack. But have you ever considered what would happen if for some reason you encountered an emergency situation and had to slam on the brakes with a roof rack fully loaded with two bikes on top? It's not outside the realm of possibility for one of the attach points -- either at the rack mount or at one of the bike attachments -- to come loose under high deceleration forces causing one or both bikes to come crashing onto your hood.

While your bikes might be worth more, $ per pound, it's obvious your 911 will sustain more damage, $ per accident.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:12 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I hate to say it, and I'm not a hater so don't flame me but the more I see the front-end it looks more like a New VW Bug stretched (Head lights and Bonnet). Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't say NO if someone would give me a 997S for FREE!
Old 05-19-2005, 04:18 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Nav and my clock is off 1 minute more often than not. I had an xkr that had the clock with the Nav.....that clock could not be changed (other than daylight savings, zone, etc.)...it was truly satellite time. The 997 doesn't seem to be. Am I missing something?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:50 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the front end looks like a New Beetle, then I'm alright with that because the VW Beetle was the forefather of the 911. Hmmm, I wonder how many VW owners think that the last real VW was the air cooled Beetle?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:35 PM
PV
Pro

OC Ben: this car is build in Germany and those people are taking quick breaks to the mountains for skiing, and show off with their supe slick ski's on top of the roof at 150 MPH on the autobahn. Yes, that is the reason why there is also a 4 wheel drive market out there. Some people don't like that, while there is a lot of people waiting for the new 4 wheel drive.

So leave the brackets on.

In fact there is an add in Holland (Europe) where two farmers are greeting each other: one is driving a Porsche and one is driving a Ferrari, both with a trailer
Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 PM
PV
Pro

Agree with that. So, in case the 911 looks like an old or new Beetle, than we are finally were we should be.

I always smile when people tell me that the 911 looks like an up-graded Beetle. They are just telling you that they want a 911 too.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that the nickname "Porker" is sadly too true.

I just WISH Porsche would take out 100kg's of weight rather than trying to get more power out of the engine to compensate for all the goodies like electric seats, roof, PCM and all that comfort stuff.

Quick Reply: What don't or didn't you like about the 997/S?