Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What don't or didn't you like about the 997/S?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 12:12 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got many complaints.

I don't like the idea that the 997 may not come out as a Targa.

I don't like the idea that if the 997 does come out as a Targa, I will have to put aside all I've learned about "thrift" and acquire one anyway.

I don't like the fact that a 997 Targa would be so beautiful, my wife would whole-heartedly approve it that the parting of $85k-$100k is inevitable. Even mother-in-law approves! Sheeesh! I'm trying to be responsible here!!

I don't like sitting here waiting for the Targa to (possibly) come out while seeing all you guys (and gals?) post pix of your 997S in your garage or in Big Sur. I'm jealous. Don't you know what you are doing to me???

OK OK OK... here's a real complaint, or I should say a concern:

I am a bit concerned about whether the 997 will be reliable in the long term or not. It won't be a Toyota- I know. But from what I've read here and heard elsewhere I wonder if I will be stuck with enough gremlins to take away the joy of driving it. I am fortunate enough that I can afford such a car, but I am not so wealthy that I would shrug off $95k ill spent... knowhatimean?

Targa or Bust
Old 05-20-2005, 12:39 AM
tahoeblue
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Not being a 997 owner so far (only a 996 and a Cayenne), I have to say this thread pretty wells sums it up--it must be a great car. The most complaints in the previous 4 pages were about the accuracy of the clock............. Can't wait to own one!
Old 05-20-2005, 03:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Anything I could possibly think of that I don't like is hardly worth mentioning. I LOVE my 997S!!!

FWIW: (1) I set my clock last August and its still accurate (maybe I adjusted it by a minute or two when I set it for daylight savings time); (2) the passenger window is designed to be automatically up only from when it's half way up - presumably a safety thing (whether you like that or not is a different issue); (3) I have only had one rattle - it was really hard to track it down because it sounds like it is coming from the passenger door or right side dash, but I finally figured out it is the overhead light lens which is slightly loose and vibrates sometimes.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:42 AM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your absolutely right.

An other thing about the complaints. We see them in this forum and other forums, but it is very difficult to determine the statistics. How many people have realy an issue with all the items mentioned in terms of reliability and maintenance?

PS: This doesn't take away that if you have a complaint or a serious issue with that it should be handled in a correct manor.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:18 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I LOVE my 997S!!!
I know. I know. The many comments like that are the reason I still will buy a 997 Targa, if it comes out, or "settle" for a C2 or C4, in spite some of the reliabiliy issues that come up. Life is short!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

geof - As you can see, I've had two glasstop Targas, and I do like them and take a special interest in them. My bet is that there will be a 997 Targa - about the only thing that remains unchanged 996 to 997 is the roofline, meaning its a no brainer to slap a Targa top on. I'd guess we'd see it only after the rest of the normal line is filled out (turbos, 4's), but maybe for 2007 model year??
Old 05-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I don't like the fact that people that don't own one complain about what they don't like about it..
Old 05-22-2005, 01:58 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

I love my 997! yes a few problems but overall a fantasticly engineered car!

biggest problem will be.... not wanting to order a 997 GT3
Old 05-23-2005, 11:40 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Okay, I don't think this complaint has been officially listed here yet, though it's been mentioned in this forum before. But since this thread is growing into a repository for complaints I’ll go ahead and state it just for the record, in the unlikely case that the Porsche marketing department ever gets wind of this thread (which if they're smart they would regard this Rennlist forum as a free source of focus group data).

NO FREAKIN’ DIPSTICK! … I mean, I suppose I could live without a spare, but to take away my dipstick – my only means of seeing, smelling, touching, and feeling the condition of my engine’s life blood – well, that’s going a bit too far for me!

What were they thinking? That a dipstick is superfluous? That only a very, very small percentage of owners (smaller apparently than those who would use the roof rack mounts) would ever find a dipstick useful???

I’m sorry, but I’m just not comfortable not having a dipstick. When I change oil I like to put in the right exact amount of oil – no more no less. I won’t be able to do that now. I just don’t like to rely on the unreliable nature of electronics, which by their nature are prone to failure at some point in their life, for such a vital function ... It’s a lot like doing away with windows on an airplane for the sake of structural simplicity/ lower cost and relying solely on video displays for avoiding that mountain up ahead. Aircraft manufacturers would jump on that idea if not for the airlines who know they won’t be able to sell a single seat on a flying tube with no windows!

Old 05-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Fred 993C4S
Advanced

Originally Posted by OCBen
Okay, I don't think this complaint has been officially listed here yet, though it's been mentioned in this forum before. But since this thread is growing into a repository for complaints I’ll go ahead and state it just for the record, in the unlikely case that the Porsche marketing department ever gets wind of this thread (which if they're smart they would regard this Rennlist forum as a free source of focus group data).

NO FREAKIN’ DIPSTICK! … I mean, I suppose I could live without a spare, but to take away my dipstick – my only means of seeing, smelling, touching, and feeling the condition of my engine’s life blood – well, that’s going a bit too far for me!

What were they thinking? That a dipstick is superfluous? That only a very, very small percentage of owners (smaller apparently than those who would use the roof rack mounts) would ever find a dipstick useful???

I’m sorry, but I’m just not comfortable not having a dipstick. When I change oil I like to put in the right exact amount of oil – no more no less. I won’t be able to do that now. I just don’t like to rely on the unreliable nature of electronics, which by their nature are prone to failure at some point in their life, for such a vital function ... It’s a lot like doing away with windows on an airplane for the sake of structural simplicity/ lower cost and relying solely on video displays for avoiding that mountain up ahead. Aircraft manufacturers would jump on that idea if not for the airlines who know they won’t be able to sell a single seat on a flying tube with no windows!

I second the motion, dumb idea!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:36 PM
MMD
Banned

No dipstick? That's nothing, IMHO. In my darkest moments I'm almost terrified thinking I'm buying a car from a small mfgr which is LOADED with electronics. In ten years I wonder how many of our cherished cars will still be on the road. When the electronics start failing, will there be replacement parts available? Or will these parts be so expensive that nobody wants to buy them so they get more rare and more expensive so the "dead" cars start to pile up in junk yards?

Not directly related but there's something in the fact that I know where this desk top computer an printer are going to wind up in only two or three years.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:53 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

mmd, I owned a 1998 BMW 840. This car had more gadgets than any other bmw at the time. The electronics were never a problem....and to this day I come across old 840/850's that never had a problem. That said, if "German is German" our Porsches should perform to the level of other high-end German cars. If not, it's not just our model car that we should worry about, it's the entire Porsche organization.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:48 PM
PV
Pro

I understand where you ar coming from. Once a while you like to check the color of your blood and see how the cholestorol is doing.

On the other hand, I see some people making the statement that the new Porsches should not consume any oil at all, and if it does consume some oil, something is wrong with your engine. So, why is there an electronic oil level indicator at all? How frequently is everybody checking the oil level?

I think it would be kind of great if they can combine the old and the new: so an electronic dipstick. If you take it out, you will see the level and can check the instrument.

It is the same thing as with digital tachometers: in the 80's nobody liked it , as it was too new and they went straight from analog to digital instruments. The current cars have them both and are pushing the analog to the side, and now people do like the digital version.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:58 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree. I had the digital oil level indicator on my '01 Boxster S ... AND a dipstick! ... That's why I'm ticked they did away with it altogether on the 997!
Old 05-23-2005, 02:32 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So OCBen..would you prefer an "integrated dry sump" with a dip stick....or a true dry sump without one?

Just in case it is not obvious..the GT1 based engines don't have the stick that dips....

Quick Reply: What don't or didn't you like about the 997/S?