PDE Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:35 PM
huskydog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDE Review

Everyone who said it would be more fun than ever was wrong, ....it was more fun than that!

PDE - the facility, the track, the staff, the food, and the session were first class all the way. Day one started with a breakfast, and then off to a classroom session for about an hour. 26 people in the class, 6 in my group and the day was organized so well, it felt like there were only 6 people in the entire class. After our class time my group goes right to the track in a brand new 911 6-speed to practice what we learned. First drill, slalom with Hurley Hayward as our instructor, hows that for a little slice of Porsche heaven. Next drill was high speed lane change with another instructor, then up to pit row for some on track driving, and our lead car is driven by Hurley. What a first time experience on the track that was, especially following him.

Track is 2.3 miles, 45' wide, 15 turns and 80' of elevation changes, with the most beautiful landscaping, buildings, statues, etc. Looked like a country club for car racers. Back to the pit and up to the autocross course for some lessons and practice runs in a new Boxster S with Tiptronic. Now I love the Boxster too. Next to the museum for lunch (great food and great service), then back to the pit for more track time following a different instructor. Back to the pit and on to the skidpad in a 911S with Tiptronic. Now I love the Tiptronic too. You cannot imagine how much the PSM does until you are on the skidpad doing comparisons. Back to the classroom for a review, then a tough finish to the day, back out on the track for more follow the leader.

Group dinner at the hotel, great way to meet the other people in the group and socialize. About 80% of the class were Porsche owners, and two beginner women (tell your wives they can go too). Next day back in the classroom for a review and the mechanics of heel-toe downshifting (still working on this one, but the instructor Joe Fox worked miracles teaching me, because I get it now and I had no clue previously). Then right to the track for 20 minutes of follow the leader in a 911S with the ceramic brakes..wow what a difference on the track the brakes made, other than that not much of a noticeable difference. Back to the Autocross for the challenge practice, then our actual timed competition in the autocross. Our team took second, by 10 seconds at 13 min, 26 sec. We were 30 seconds slower in the pits, than the first place team, so we drove faster by 20 seconds. Yeah...way to go "Downshift to Win" (Our team name). Then back to the track for more follow the leader (progressively faster every lap only 3 cars in our track group so we were rollling). Then a little break, then more track time. Back to the autocross but this time in a Cayenne S (yeah now I love the Cayenne too). What an amazing vehicle in the autocross, same course as the Boxster 2.5 sec slower.

The day finished with another follow the leader track run, probably spent an hour + on the track that day. They finished every thing off with a "race speed " ride along with the instructors in the 911S and then in the Cayenne Turbo. I thought we were doing good until I saw what a real driver does...undescribable. And the Cayenne Turbo on the track was about 5 sec/lap slower except in the rain they say its 5 sec faster.

Details and Tips - cars all have full leather, Sport Suspension, Sport Seats, and 19" Wheels w/ Michelin PS2. Break in period before they run the heck out of 'em 50-100 miles, so much for the owners manual. Everything is factory spec, nothing special, so the cars are truly amazing. Went with a good friend who does not own a Porsche, but soon will after this experience. I could go on for pages about how wonderful the experience was, how much I learned and how much better of a driver I have become, but I've said enough. Save your pennies and go for it, you will love it! Planning my next PDE with the wife, already.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:31 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

George, the trip sounds great. I didn't know that you would get the chance to ride a Cayenne as well. Tell me how did you like the tiptronic 997 S? My new car arriving soon is a tiptronic and I was wondering how the handling and driving experience would be? Take care. I will have to sign up for this next Spring.

Jay
Atlas Grey Metallic
997 S Cab
Sport Chrono
Old 05-12-2005, 11:06 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hot Damn! Excellent post... you could write for the paper my friend. Anything that you wish you had brought with you or left home?

I'm STOKED... start Wednesday next week!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:33 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't mind a slightly rude question- Just how many pennies do I have to save for my wife and me to go?
Old 05-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Great write up George. And congrats on the new wheels.

So when are coming out to Summit to put that 944 to work?

Todd
Old 05-13-2005, 08:11 AM
huskydog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Answers to the questions: my opinion was the Tiptronic was every bit as good as the 6 speed in terms of shifting, but the guys who race for a living still use the 6 speed for now. They did say that Porsche is planning to add the "throttle blip knowledge for downshifting" into the electronics so it will do it for you. Then those guys say it will be a toss up as handling and all other characteristics are equal.

Anything brought or left: wish I would have taken a better camera (SLR) was concerned about security, but not to worry there is a place for everything and always secure.

How many pennies: The prices are on their website http://www.porschedriving.com/course....asp#newcourse
I would take my wife to the 1 day course (she would not like the extended track time) so $1695 x 2 plus hotel and airfare.

Summit Point: I share the car with two guys at work, we have a FATT on June 10th one of the other guys, personally I prefer the autocross.

Thanks to all for reading the writeup.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the nice writeup. I live about 15 minutes from the track and have driven it with my PCA. Thought you might like some photos of the facility.

This is the guy who built it. George Barber is a longtime Porsche enthusiast, and one of the founding members of our PCA chapter. Back in the 60s he raced a 904. He built this track with $70 million of his own money!

Mr. Barber is a perfectionist and gets the small details right. When the track was first surfaced with asphalt, a visiting champion motorcyclist deemed it "one of the best surfaces" he'd ever tried. Mr. Barber decided that wasn't good enough.... He had the entire track torn up and resurfaced with fresh asphalt ( at a rumored cost exceeding $500k). The result was the best.

Glad you enjoyed PDE.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Great review

Thanks for the GREAT REVIEW!!

It is really a great experience and the Masters is even better!!
I'am signed up to attend once again in September.

Besides Hurley & Joe, who else were the instructors in attendance?

Old 05-13-2005, 05:57 PM
walks357
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice writeup huskydog. It certainly is an outstanding "Experience". A first class operation all the way with great instructors (and great food!) and a tremendous amount of fun. I'm signed up for the Masters in August.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:04 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

great message huskydog; i'm headed down next week with a couple of friends and can't wait...question; what do you wear when you're driving? we weren't sure whether you wore the jumpsuits or just normal "street clothes"? shorts or pants? given that it's alabama i'm guessing it's going to be hot! any advice now that you're a seasoned pro?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tarpon, I can't comment on the PDE attire, but here is the best weather site.

PDE - 7-DAY FORECAST

Old 05-13-2005, 10:27 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tarpon1
great message huskydog; i'm headed down next week with a couple of friends and can't wait...question; what do you wear when you're driving? we weren't sure whether you wore the jumpsuits or just normal "street clothes"? shorts or pants? given that it's alabama i'm guessing it's going to be hot! any advice now that you're a seasoned pro?
From the PDE FAQ page:
Comfortable, seasonal attire is recommended. Shorts are allowed. We also recommend you wear soft-soled shoes, such as driving or tennis shoes.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:30 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

10 Day Forcast for Leeds, AL (PDE)

Quick Reply: PDE Review