Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heel-toe shifting explanation please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 09:10 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heel-toe shifting explanation please?

ok; let's just get all the "i can't believe you asked this" out of the way now...i'll take the abuse as long as i get an answer so let er rip...(i felt better when i asked another 911 owner this morning and his response was...well i think it's...no wait...)
Old 05-13-2005, 09:27 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Your foot is on the brake pedal and you roll it to the right to "blip" the throtle during a downshift.
Easier to do, than explain..
and easier to do when you are HARD into the brakes than braking while street driving.

There is a shot of heel toe about 1/4 the way in on the following video...click the link:
PDE Video

Old 05-13-2005, 10:04 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

MJones;
Thanks for the explanation and thanks for posting the PDE video here last month; I've been showing that to everybody...getting seriously pumped for my first visit next week!

Buck in virginia
Old 05-13-2005, 10:30 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's the deal for me... I tried to learn this on the street and failed. I just couldn't threshold brake hard enough to get it to work. There must be an adrenaline factor involved on the track. Step-by-step...

100% throttle heading down Main Straight. Braking zone 6 approaching, start to prepare. Hit Zone 5 sign and mash the brakes for all they are worth - just shy of ABS. Ball of the foot is on the brake pedal, clutch in, 4th to 3rd. Speed drops, as do revs. When you sense you are low enough to not blow the red line roll your heel to the gas pedal and jab it. Throws the revs up toward say 5-6k. When it's there let the clutch out so engine speed matches. Should be no lurch either forward or backward. Now on the gas through Big Bend.

All of this happens in about 1 or 2 seconds total. It's the type of thing that the first time I did it I was either too much or too little on the gas - but I was not going in at maximum speed either because I knew I was working on heel-toe.

After a very short while it becomes second nature. Even after nailing it consistently on the track, I can't really do it on the street - just can't get myself to those limits on public streets (nor do I want to).
Old 05-13-2005, 11:32 PM
tahoeblue
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

MJones--can you post that link again? Can't open it from your link.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:37 PM
jfraser
Instructor

tarpon
First off no "I can't believe...." comments from me, most people don't even know why you do it, let alone how to do it. ( fyi, it stops the car from being 'unsettled' whilst downshifting, it also reduces wear and tear on the clutch, engine and engine mounts).....Here is a very good link with a step by step on how to do it...
http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/how...2/article.html
I can do it (not very well....it really takes practise)...My last car (Ferrari 360) had an F1 tranny, when you put it in sport mode, the system would do it for you....a definate advantage of the F1....Whilst it may remove the need for raw talent....oh my the throttle blip sounded SENSATIONAL!!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:49 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tahoeblue
MJones--can you post that link again? Can't open it from your link.

The link is good... Try DL to your HD (It's a Quicktime file)

Quick Reply: heel-toe shifting explanation please?