Discounts on new 997's ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 07:00 PM
cannga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxsterdoc47
any other advice or comments......
If you are in California, check with Fresno Porsche or any dealer in smaller cities. For a non S you should be able to get at least 3750 off. (Email me cannga@pacbell.net if you like to know specific info and sales agent of the deal I got.)
As California has the highest demand, this implies you should be able to do better in any other state, IMHO. This is for a non S. Should be more discount for an S model.
Regards,
Can
Old 05-24-2005, 10:40 AM
david1
Advanced

I just took delivery of Carrera S Cab I ordered in January. Hadn't even discussed price with salesman but when I was told by dealership's financial officer when I walked in to pick it up, was told they'd knocked off 4%...I also know that towards month's end, dealerships want to move inventory off their premises.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:28 PM
humbug
Advanced

Still in So. Cal. still no discounts on 997s MY2005 Cab. I had one ordered and arrived here in SD and the dealer did not want to even discuss any discounts below MSRP so I left. Fortunately, I have the same vehicle on order at another dealer which will be a MY2006 coming in October. I was surprised that there was not even a token effort on this dealers part to try to get my business. Granted the 997s are great cars but they are not antiques and even great cars depreciate 58% over 4 years!
Old 05-28-2005, 05:27 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by humbug
I'm in So Cal waiting for a 997 S Cab due towards the end of next month. I'm planning to lease the vehicle. I feel I have no leverage to negotiate a discount since I ordered the vehicle to my specs. and I have waited all this time for it and the dealer knows that they have you. It's like playing poker with all your cards showing. I would be happy just to get $2000 off but the whole process is irritating when you know dealer's invoice price and all the mark up. I have never paid MSPR...yet.
Ditto what 1Gunner said. The time to negotiate is before you place your order, which I did, playing one dealership off another one, and letting them know up front I was going with whoever gives me the best deal. Turned out that in So. Cal, Circle Porsche was able to guarantee me a May production car while Newport could only get me on the waiting list for an '06. I agreed to the deal when Circle agreed to throw in the colored Porsche crest wheel caps and the clear side markers, and I was/am happy with that.
Still in So. Cal. still no discounts on 997s MY2005 Cab. I had one ordered and arrived here in SD and the dealer did not want to even discuss any discounts below MSRP so I left. Fortunately, I have the same vehicle on order at another dealer which will be a MY2006 coming in October. I was surprised that there was not even a token effort on this dealers part to try to get my business. Granted the 997s are great cars but they are not antiques and even great cars depreciate 58% over 4 years!
In So. Cal. if you didn't negotiate up front, you're setting yourself up for a big disappointment if you're expecting to pay anything BUT MSRP on an ordered car. If you had a "crazy" option such as a Lime Green paint-to-match, which usually requires a non-refundable $5000 deposit to cover the dealer's selling cost in case you back out, you might be able to negotiate something if you tell them you're thinking of changing your mind. Otherwise, be happy you'll be able to pay MSRP without additional markup. ... OR be prepared to walk away disappointed like you did in SD, and continue to do so until you realize that in sunny Southern California cabs are in high demand. You might have better luck ordering from, say, North Dakota or Minnesota, and then flying out there and driving back, provided the car is not delivered in the dead of winter. Of course you'd have to figure in the cost of flying out there, the hotel room, the cost of gas driving back and the cost of meals.

Sounds like this is your first Porsche order. I've always paid MSRP on my orders here in So. Cal, and I was happy with a few freebies thrown in. But seriously, if I were you, and this is the cab I wanted, I'd be glad to pay MSRP though I'd ask kindly if they can perhaps throw in a few freebies that I wanted just to sweeten the whole deal. And if they don't, because you didn't negotiate this up front, then just be happy with that.... and consider yourself lucky to own a car configured just the way you wanted!
Old 05-28-2005, 06:34 PM
PV
Pro

I'm with OCBen on this. Wow, negotiating after the order and just before the car comes in. Interesting concept, like to hear what you come back with!!
Old 05-29-2005, 12:09 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Buzz911S
I first test drove a white base 997S. The only options were the sport chronometer and upgraded floor mats. Someone had ordered it, then declined to take delivery when it arrived. The sticker price on the car was $86, 500. I got them down to $84,000 and then, the more I looked at it the more I wanted my original wish of a black 997S. I just could not get past the white color. I was going to order a black one, but my sales guy found a 2006 year model in black at a dealership out of state. In a very unusual move, he agreed to dealer transfer it for me. They had to send a car to trade for the car I wanted, then transport the black one back from S. Carolina to Florida. The only condition was that I pay the transport charges both ways. When I asked for a discount, the answer was a firm...."No". So, I had to pay sticker for the car, plus the transport costs... which ended up in my writing a check for $ 89,895. But, this car is LOADED with options, including Boes surround sound, navigation package, quick shift, FULL leather, heated seats, fully electric seats..... The only thing I can think of that it doesn't have is the sport chronometer. So, I paid about $6k more, including the transport costs, and I got the car I dreamed of. I think it was worth the extra $$$.
2006 year model? How can that be if the 2006 hasnt been produced yet? Are you sure you have a 2006 997?????
Old 05-29-2005, 12:18 AM
humbug
Advanced

I guess my business logic maybe off, but I figured I had more leverage if the vehicle was actually there vs one that I would theoretically buy. What leverage does the buyer have by asking for a discount on a order; they would say take it or leave it. Yes, this is my first feeble attempt at purchasing a porsche. In this case, I would rather have a MY 2006 if it was full MSRP rather than a MY 2005 so it was a calculated risk. In my mind, a buck is a buck and I guess I expected more. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-29-2005, 12:38 AM
AndrewSS
Advanced

my father got about 7-8k off his 997s, at Byers Imports in OHIO, Beechmont porsche in CINC, OH discounts too, but not as much as Byers, although they may be a better dealer when it comes to knowledge of the porsche etc... overall Byers Imports is good, great discounts!

i cant remeber the name of the salesman! sorry.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:33 AM
Brian E
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Andrew, apparently us Rennlister's depleted Byers and Beechmonts inventory, because between the two, they only have (3) 997 cars in stock.

(1) base Cabriolet (Basalt Black)
(1) base coupe (Yellow)
(1) S coupe (Black Launch car)

I am sure the discounts your dad and I got have long disappeared.

PS How does he like the car? Any issues?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:45 AM
AS05NOVA
Track Day

Default I have a hard time believing this...

Originally Posted by AndrewSS
my father got about 7-8k off his 997s, at Byers Imports in OHIO, Beechmont porsche in CINC, OH discounts too, but not as much as Byers, although they may be a better dealer when it comes to knowledge of the porsche etc... overall Byers Imports is good, great discounts!

i cant remeber the name of the salesman! sorry.
Sorry guy, but I don't find your claim credible that he got a $7-8K discount on a brand new untitled 997S...unless it was an olive green tiptronic with orange leather that was pre-ordered for another buyer who walked away from the deal!

My experience with smaller markets (such as Ohio where Columbus, Cincy, Toledo, AKron, etc. each have one or two dealers.), each dealer delivers relatively few cars each month and they typically want full price or close to it for each one.

Larger markets (where five or six dealers in one metro area compete for many more people with higher discretionary income, except CA) have multiple dealers who kill each other for business. They sell at much lower profit but deliver many more cars.

But even in these larger markets, the 997S was/is still pulling sticker or near sticker.
Old 05-29-2005, 12:20 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was an honest mistake.

He actually got 7 - 8 K trade in for his Chevy malibu.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:30 PM
OCBen
Banned

I guess my business logic maybe off, but I figured I had more leverage if the vehicle was actually there vs one that I would theoretically buy. What leverage does the buyer have by asking for a discount on a order; they would say take it or leave it...
Well, your business logic may have worked if you had ordered a car that is not in high demand and in limited supply such as you might find with some American makes that are in over abundance and are currently being discounted heavily just to move inventory. Then, yeah, I can see that you might have some leverage since they wouldn't want to add to their already large inventory and would be willing then to make some concessions. But really, the basic business logic at work here is Supply & Demand. And as you've probably figured out by now, that law of business is at the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to an ordered Porsche, especially a 997 Cab. Dealers don't get many of these cars in, and when they do they know that buyers far out number available cars, especially in So. Cal.

As many of us here have stated, in So. Cal. you're not likely to negotiate a discount but you might be able to get them to agree to some freebies up front as an incentive for you to place your order through them.

Sorry you're having to learn this the hard way. Hopefully it only cost you a loss in pride and not anything expensive such as losing a deposit. Hey, you're not alone in paying MSRP here in So. Cal. At least you tried, just as I and most everyone else has tried. So you're in good company actually. Welcome to our forum and learn along with the rest of us, just as we learn from your experiences too.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:49 PM
humbug
Advanced

So what sort of things are worth while asking for from these dealers who are asking MSRP to help ease the pain besides key chains? I'm talking about freebees...car covers etc.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

Well, for my Boxster, I got a free car cover, free bra, free Porsche cabriolet car care kit (the one that comes in the aluminum suitcase), the clear side markers, and a few other little things like the key chain.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:48 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Can the people in So Cal who goy anything off on an S post the dealer?

TIA

Quick Reply: Discounts on new 997's ????