Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Road Trip pt 5- PDE

PDE Masters
Hot Lap Movie
997 Drivebys at Speed

Day 1:
Autocross practice in the Boxster in prep for the challenge.

The wet skid in a Tip 997, the skid pad is a sealed asphalt surface that is wet and slick as snot and you can spin the car at speeds <20 mph and experience under and overseer and the associated corrections.

Heel toe downshifting 3-2 braking and cornering exercise on a large oval with decreasing radius and increasing radius located at each end. Instructor rides along and gives comments and suggestions.

Lead and follow track lapping on the track with laps where an instructor rides along, and laps where you ride along while and give you feedback. As sessions progress the pace quickens around the track.

Day 2:

The autocross challenge utilizing the Boxster S.. a friendly competion between teams.. My team lost due to penalties assessed due to cone carnage... However another driver on my team garnered TTOD and I captured second TTOD and won a sweatshirt... to my surprise.

Early lapping sessions are lead and follow with the pace picking up in the 997 with PASM. The 997 brakes are great, and interesting to note that the cars come into the pits with rotors that have a blue cast. After lunch the open lapping starts where you are set free on your your own at whatever pace you choose with one session in the 997S with PCCB. The PCCB brakes are simply amazing with no fade and a rock hard pedal. The instructors position themselves around the track and take notes for for the debrief following the session.
After the sessions conclude Instructor Hot Laps where you ride along as they pilot the 997S around the course at about 9/ 10ths in what could be best described as controlled chaos. There was a fellow Rennlister there who lives in Alabama and has driven his GT3 on the Barber track and was totally amazed at how much farther the cars could be pushed.

There is risk even in a controlled environment as there were two incidents..One an agricultural excursion with a spin in the grass, the other was two wheels off at the tunnel turn, with an overcorrection that resulted in the car shooting across the track and into the tire wall...damaging the front right corner of the 997..
The damage waiver is always a good idea.

Want to drive a 997 at limits that the majority of owners never get near, sign up for a couple of days at PDE, you'll thank yourself.

Friday I did a 514 mile stint from Alabama to Illinois on my way around the country.

Did you know that when you hit the rev limiter in 3rd your doing 101 mph, I found that out yesterday passing someone... oops

Foto of Hurley Haywood chief driving instructor.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:26 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the trip log MJones. A very fun and useful set of posts. I'm taking the suggestion with PDE 1 in May, PDE 2 in June... though I'm drivin' to the airport.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Great job MJ, just heard about the "Venison jump" earlier, glad you made it through ok!!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:05 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Hey Mjones, the trip sounded great. Glad to hear from you. Hope the trip home is safe.
Watch out for the road kill.

Jay
Old 03-29-2005, 11:26 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect report out. Stay safe on your way back.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:43 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did the cars come with PSE?
Old 03-29-2005, 11:47 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jerseybean
did the cars come with PSE?
No, the cars do NOT have PSE...but they do sound nice none the less
Old 03-30-2005, 01:31 AM
schvetkaaks
Pro

passing someone? You mean in your line for the track time, or did they actually give you time to be free on the track and pass others?

That tunnel turn is tricky, but I hear the high speed S's are the most commonly misread and have the most incidents.

You plan on doing the Masters? I just got my 'invite' today with a nice discount offered if I book it in 30 days.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:35 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Sweet cant wait to see you at the Q in April!

Give me a call when you get back!

Robert
Old 03-30-2005, 04:19 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the update.... I'm counting the days to the end of May for my turn at PDE. Have a safe trip back home!

Cheers.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:52 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
passing someone? You mean in your line for the track time, or did they actually give you time to be free on the track and pass others?

That tunnel turn is tricky, but I hear the high speed S's are the most commonly misread and have the most incidents.

You plan on doing the Masters? I just got my 'invite' today with a nice discount offered if I book it in 30 days.
It is the Masters course that I attended (my 6th)
On day 2 when you are out on track by yourself (no lead/follow) passing is allowed with a point in designated areas.

The two incidents that happened: the one that hit the wall happened on the backside of the tunnel turn hill, the spin happened at the pit road corner.

You are correct that the high speed S's are the most commonly misread and have the most incidents. It's all about vision and hitting your marks.

If you sign-up for Sept, I'll see you there...I'am going back to do it all once again!
Old 03-30-2005, 08:09 AM
baboou
Instructor

Your report really has me ready to go June 7/8. Anyone else signed up for this date?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:33 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by baboou
Your report really has me ready to go June 7/8. Anyone else signed up for this date?
When you go, tell "Jeff" about the report you read about here!
Old 03-30-2005, 05:58 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

MJones - 6 times at Masters? Fantastic. I'm thinking of doing it next - did the high speed program this month, have 3 POC events this year, so I'll be more ready for the Masters I think. What's with the new courses, and the new, much cheaper, pricing schedule? Have you seen that? It's on the website, but I can't figure out what is different between those one day and two day courses and the high speed one day and two day courses...except price.
Old 03-30-2005, 08:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
MJones - 6 times at Masters? Fantastic. I'm thinking of doing it next - did the high speed program this month, have 3 POC events this year, so I'll be more ready for the Masters I think. What's with the new courses, and the new, much cheaper, pricing schedule? Have you seen that? It's on the website, but I can't figure out what is different between those one day and two day courses and the high speed one day and two day courses...except price.
The new One and Two-Day Porsche Driving Experience are more os a taste of Porsche... including off road in the Cayenne, and have a larger group size, up to 40, so says Jeff. They are not focused on "track sessions" as the Masters Class is.
Do the High Performance driving class.

Quick Reply: Road Trip pt 5- PDE