Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me again why I should get Sport Chrono.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 12:25 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please tell me again why I should get Sport Chrono.

I'm about to place the order and wondering _again_ if having the Sport Chrono switch on the console is worth having to get the wart on the dash.

I really don't like the looks of that thing and would like to have clean lines along the dash; the most visually apparent part of the interior.

Have you guys who have had it a while gotten over the novelty of it? Maybe I'm an old f*rt now, I'm just over 40 and don't need a constant thrill of a hypersensitive gas pedal and race car sensation for every trip I take to the grocery store or to work. But on the weekends for fun drives would you miss it _alot_ if you suddenly didn't have it?

DANG WART! Would be so easy if the darn thing wasn't in your face all the time!
Old 03-29-2005, 12:36 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my car since last October and I honestly believe it is a necessity.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure you could have someone make you a little leather hood for the Wart (bit like the ones you get on hunting birds), that way you wouldn't have to look at it.

Hopefuly you won't get Boxster Red as your interior color otherwise you would have to get a "Little Red Hiding Hood" for the Sport Chrono.

Sorry couldn't resist...
Old 03-29-2005, 12:59 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get used to it. The software upgrade is worth it even without the stopwatch. But they should have made it into a real clock with chrono features like my Daytona. Now that would be cool.
Old 03-29-2005, 01:35 PM
19_hole
Racer

You will get used to the timer on the dash. It grows on you. The software upgrade is definately worth it!
Old 03-29-2005, 02:37 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

A friend just got it with his new Boxster and drove it on the track last weekend. He said he would not get again and could not tell the difference with it on or off.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I can't remember, but have you driven a car with Sport Chrono? I would be amazed if after driving in sport mode you would not have been hooked...
Old 03-29-2005, 04:20 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

This old fart (56) says definitely get it - I would not want to be without it! The "wart" has never really bothered me and you do get used to it.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Since I am paying 3.3+ grand for full leather (my first full leather P-car) I want the leather dash to be clean and smooth without any warts or blemishes of any kind. And so for me, it was an easy choice! ... Now get this, even if the wart could be deleted while still opting for the chrono package, I still wouldn't opt for it! The pros and cons of the chrono option were debated ad nauseam on a thread here about a month ago or less. I suggest you search for it. It should prove helpful in your decision.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:46 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Wow!

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
A friend just got it with his new Boxster and drove it on the track last weekend. He said he would not get again and could not tell the difference with it on or off.
I'm astonished that he could not tell the difference! It's like night and day between the two settings. More responsive throttle, more slip angle on PSM. How could you NOT notice???
Old 03-29-2005, 05:50 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not the best shifter in the world....may even be the worst. That said, I find that the sport mode makes shifting smoother....both up and down shifts. I only have to remember to turn it on...and when I do, I am very happy I have it.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:53 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

A reminder of what you get with Sport Chrono

Quote:
A sportier car set-up is obtained when Sport mode is switched on. Interventions by the Porsche control systems are intentionally shifted towards greater agility and driving performance.

– PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) is automatically changed to Sport mode, resulting in a stiffer suspension setup.

– The Tiptronic S switches to a sporty gear changing map and shortens the gear shifting periods. Gear changes take place faster.

– PSM (Porsche Stability Management) control is sporty. PSM interventions take place later than in Normal mode. The driver can maneuver the vehicle with greater agility at its performance limits, without having to dispense with the assistance of PSM in emergency situations.

– The electronic accelerator pedal reacts sooner, and the engine is more responsive to throttle inputs. When Sport mode is switched on, this function is activated only after the driver has floored the accelerator pedal or released it briefly.

– The rpm limiter characteristic is “harder”, i.e. the engine is immediately throttled when the performance limits are reached (only in manual selection mode for vehicles with Tiptronic S).
Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by 997S X PO BOX
Maybe it doesn't do much in the Boxster but in my car it makes a BIG difference in throttle response.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:36 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Big difference and I did not want it at all until i drove one with it!

You will be sorry!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:18 PM
PV
Pro

I have it and am OK with the clock on the dash (I like the options propposed by other to turn it into a normal clock if not used as stopwatch. I wonder if you miss the performance/software package if you don't have it from the beginning.

What I do know is that the car is more agile reacting when the chrono package is activated.

The bottom line for me is that I would buy it again.

Quick Reply: Please tell me again why I should get Sport Chrono.