Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me again why I should get Sport Chrono.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:42 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The button turns my car from sports GT to full blown sports car. Its well worth it.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:57 AM
jfraser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Le Chef
I'm definately with you on this one...You'd have to be asleep at the wheel to not notice the difference!!!

MMD
If you're in any doubt go drive one with the option...I'd be amazed if you still were in ANY doubt about whether to get it after trying it. Also I'm not sure if you intend to buyor lease the car; but I would think that not having the option would be detrimental to resale value.....
Old 03-30-2005, 08:30 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I honestly believe that not having Sport/Chrono will hurt resale down the road.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:32 PM
PV
Pro

Although I don't have an issue with the clock on the desk, I can see that others don't like it or like you who is spending money on the leather options and so on, like to keep the dash clean. Maybe you need to push a little harder to get the sports chrono without the clock.

The sports part of the chrono is a must and I like the computer options.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:13 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And what exactly are the computer options (in the chrono package) that make this a "real" sports car?
Old 03-31-2005, 02:28 AM
Moogle
Race Car

the biggest reason is perhaps you can't add it later.

not ordering it will be a big mistake you will regret and can't 'fix'

the periodicals can't stop raving about it, and quite frankly, its the only reasonably priced option porsche ever made.

the gains from it are tremendous, as are the results versus price.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:35 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2005, 10:59 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Moogle
the biggest reason is perhaps you can't add it later.

not ordering it will be a big mistake you will regret and can't 'fix'

the periodicals can't stop raving about it, and quite frankly, its the only reasonably priced option porsche ever made.

the gains from it are tremendous, as are the results versus price.
Thanks Moogle, you and the other posters make it sound like a no-brainer. I'm gittin' it.

One thing I heard though is it's way overpriced ("not that there's anything wrong with that" ) $900 us for a different chip (?) and a fancy clockface seems like alot. Without the clockface, which alot of guys would prefer, the price would seem astronomical.

thanks for the advice!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Thanks Moogle, you and the other posters make it sound like a no-brainer. I'm gittin' it.

One thing I heard though is it's way overpriced ("not that there's anything wrong with that" ) $900 us for a different chip (?) and a fancy clockface seems like alot. Without the clockface, which alot of guys would prefer, the price would seem astronomical.

thanks for the advice!
Considering that just having the phone activated will cost $1000.00 I would say "Sport Chrono" is the deal of the century!!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

It's more than just a different chip. Actually, given the way Porsche prices most options, its a steal.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:54 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
It's more than just a different chip. Actually, given the way Porsche prices most options, its a steal.
It's free on an M3, but you don't get the wart on the dash.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:51 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I honestly believe that not having Sport/Chrono will hurt resale down the road.
I don't think it will hurt it that much. Say you sell your car five years from now. What will be the depreciation on a $900 option in 5 yrs, 25 or 30%? So on a 5 yr old 997S selling for around, say, $70-75k, you might take a, what, $500 to $600 hit on resale? I don't know about the rest of you, but this is hardly anything to worry about. I always say buy a car to please yourself, not the guy who ends up with a leftover. Why buy it if you don't really want it, and are only buying it for an extra measly 500 bucks or so down the road? Will 500 measly bucks make it worth having that ugly wart for the five yrs you own the car if you really didn't want it? Doesn't make any sense to me. That's just my opinion.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:09 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think what bothers me the most about that lap timer/stopwatch protruding through and sitting so prominently on the dash like that is that, for a street car, it is pretentious, bordering on gimmicky – something showy as you might expect on a Corvette or similar car that would appeal to those inclined to flaunt what they drive. If the stopwatch functions had been designed for display solely on the instrument cluster below the tach, where its functionality is enhanced, then it wouldn’t be getting much negative reviews at all on these discussion boards, because then it would have been a subtle feature for the driver alone. Gimmicks appeal to poseurs, they don’t appeal to me at all. There was this one poster here (I can’t recall who it was) who was looking to see if he could change out the “fake quad tips” (I think that’s how he described it) on his 997S and put in the standard oval exhaust tips, because he thought it looked pretentious like a Pontiac Grand Am when the car isn’t a V-8 at all. I like his viewpoint.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:22 PM
Moogle
Race Car

most people have gotten over the looks of the stopwatch device by now , you might eventually come to like it.

just accept it as the only downside to this otherwise great option (in terms of return for the price.)

hell, coloured wheel caps cost $250 from porsche.

at $1000, sport chrono isnt a 'cheap' option, but i can't stress enoguh how much of a steal it is, for the gains you will get from it.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:48 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Don't bother

Let me see if I understand this option...

Automatically puts pasm into sport. OK, if I'm heading to the track, I can put PASM into sport mode myself.

Changes the throttle map (they even have a graph of this in the brochure). OK, this really does nothing - what it means is if you used to have to press the throttle 1/2" to get 25% throttle, with sport on you only press 3/8". Here's the thing - to the non-technical driver, this will "feel" like it is an improvement, but it really is smoke and mirrors. If it truly remapped throttle linkage and made it more linear say if it was originally choppy, then maybe it would be worth something. In my current M3, I purchased the Shark Injector to truly remap the throttle mapping because OEM is so choppy - best $300 spent.

Increases the limit for PSM - um, turn it off or leave it oem. Heading for the track, don't want any electronic gizmos in the way.

The wart - as someone here said - this is a gimmick, just like the charts and whatnot. I love hitting the track, but could never see myself caring at all about timing software like this.

Theory: Perhaps one of the reasons the option is only $900 is it really is nothing other than a clock on the dash. The software mods are nothing really - perhaps this feels like a value option and is really one of their most profitable.

Honestly, if you like this option, or any, buy it and enjoy it. My order will have no chrono sport and I'm even deleting the sunroof. Call me crazy, but I get what I want and at this level, I don't care one iota about possible impact to resale. I'm buying the car for me, not somebody down the road.

Unfortunately for the US market, we can't have the S without PASM - just a lowered sport suspension. Now that would be sweet and what is pushing me toward the non S variant.

Quick Reply: Please tell me again why I should get Sport Chrono.