997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here comes the Cayman.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005 | 01:45 PM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

The name is a marketing nightmare. Big mistake for Porsche.
Old 02-24-2005 | 02:22 PM
geof
Drifting

If they are pricing it above the Boxster but just a tad below the 997, could it be that they plan to increase the price of the 997, at least in the US? Porsche can't make money off of futures contracts forever!
Old 02-24-2005 | 04:05 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

HAHAHA if they actually started charging for a "Delete Designation" option i would just show up at the dealership with fishing string and rubbing alcohol. I would then put the badge in an envelope and send it right back to Germany. "Thanks for the hot car guys, keep the badge! Its on me- "
Old 02-24-2005 | 04:33 PM
BD997
Racer

ugly....IMO
Old 02-24-2005 | 07:06 PM
Schnell911
Intermediate

the car seems to be very cool.. it will be a blast to drive with the specs posted.. but the name ? Cayman ? god.... where does it come from ? Cayenne Man ? dunno... right now, I don´t even know if they thought about it or if they just named the car with the first thing that came up... like riotgear said, BIG marketing mistake..
Old 02-24-2005 | 08:21 PM
MMD
Banned

Default Pranksters in Porsche!!!

Originally Posted by Schnell911
Cayman ? god.... where does it come from ? Cayenne Man ? dunno... right now, I don´t even know if they thought about it or if they just named the car with the first thing that came up... like riotgear said, BIG marketing mistake..

Kinda like the stock 997S wheels. You wonder what the heck they are trying to prove.

No offense, but those wheels aren't gorgeous; when they first came out most of us did wonder "what were they thinking???!!!" (I still wonder, BTW)

Now the frickin' "Cayman" mistake.

Would be great to hear all the gossip about how these things get decided in the Porsche styling/marketing offices.
Old 02-24-2005 | 10:02 PM
951M471 CarreraM491
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJones
This is most recient spy / test mule pic
There have been some focus groups around the country this month, featuring the Cayman in the flesh....anybody here get an invite? I will be going in the next few days, but will be bound by a NDA

Since the car has already been announced that seems more than a little late for a focus group lol.
Old 02-25-2005 | 02:50 AM
Baron009
Pro

Then Porsche says, "no no, they are two different models!" And then the whole word replies, "Then why are they identical in every way???" And then Porsche replies, "Because if you thought we made HUGE profit margins on the Boxster, wait til you see what we make by calling it a Cayman and just raising the price and building it cheaper/fixed roof etc... We aren't number 1 for nothing
Hahaha!

Gah, this upsets me so much. Why is the coupe version of the boxster more? They really need an entry level porsche.. WITH a roof.
Old 02-25-2005 | 10:23 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Entry level Porsche

They really need an entry level porsche.. WITH a roof.[/QUOTE]

First of all define "entry level" - yours or Porsche's?

Why an entry level Porsche? Tell me from a business perspective why you would want to compete on a more level playing field with Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota etc?

Assuming that volumes would be higher do you have dealers equiped to handle the additional volume?

At what point (beyond the Cayenne) have you diluted your brand so much that it ceases to command a premium? (Ask someone to show you what Mercedes-Benz have done to themselves).

If entry level means cheaper then have you looked at used Boxsters, 993's and 996's? Plenty to choose from and prices that are decidely in range of a new base Audi TT.

From my personal point of view Porsche is doing the right thing from a business perspective. Why go cheaper when you don't have to?
Old 02-25-2005 | 10:35 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

They really need an entry level porsche.. WITH a roof.

First of all define "entry level" - yours or Porsche's?

Why an entry level Porsche? Tell me from a business perspective why you would want to compete on a more level playing field with Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Toyota etc?

Assuming that volumes would be higher do you have dealers equiped to handle the additional volume?

At what point (beyond the Cayenne) have you diluted your brand so much that it ceases to command a premium? (Ask someone to show you what Mercedes-Benz have done to themselves).

If entry level means cheaper then have you looked at used Boxsters, 993's and 996's? Plenty to choose from and prices that are decidely in range of a new base Audi TT.

From my personal point of view Porsche is doing the right thing from a business perspective. Why go cheaper when you don't have to?
I agree. Porsche is seeking to produce about 100,000 cars yearly. I think the next smallest truly independent manufacturer (unlike Jag in Ford's PAG) is BMW at 1.2 MILLION cars...

They'll never be able to compete with volume producers like bmw, etc...
Old 02-25-2005 | 11:49 AM
Ronnie
Instructor

Originally Posted by Le Chef

I have to agree with you Le Chef, Porsche is a premium brand and should try to stay that way. I wouldn't want every tom dick and harry having a Porshce, would you?

As for the name, tbh who gives, I love my 997S, but can't wait to give this thing a blast.
Old 02-25-2005 | 11:56 AM
Skytop
Racer

The Cayman is yet to be seen or driven. But at this point, IMO, the name is a serious blunder.

The Caymen name sounds like another SUV. The name resembles and sound far too close to the Cayenne. Actually, it intuitively sounds like a 'baby' SUV Cayenne. The script logo even resembles the Cayenne SUV. Has Porsche become confused or schizophrenic?

It summons up images of a slithering, slimey, not to be trusted cold blooded, sneaky reptile that exists in mosquito ridden wretched back water swamps. Not awe inspiring, for sure. Do you want to get into such a vehicle?

Surely, Porsche could have done [U]lots[/U] better.

What were they thinking?????
Old 02-25-2005 | 12:38 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Like the Porsche Ostrich ??? Super fast, agile, muscular, and water cooled! (they drink at least 2-gallons of water a day)
Old 02-25-2005 | 02:22 PM
Skytop
Racer

Default Other top ten names that Porsche almost used.

In the running but not chosen:

The Porsche....

0. Python (nah, that's just too good, let some other company use it)
1. Salamander
2. Rodent
3. Panda (warm and fuzzy!)
4. Walrus
5. Pelican
7. Cricket
8. Gecko
9. Iguana
10. Mosquito

Old 02-25-2005 | 02:50 PM
Sobe
Pro