Addict
Rennlist Member

Give me a used Boxster S any day!

"Cayman"?? Worst name, EVER!
Old 02-23-2005 | 03:04 PM
BHANE
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMD
First the "Porsche with Panties" crap and now this great name, like the Nova.

not that there's anything wrong with it.

LOLOLOL!!! If you glance quickly at the emblem you would think the "C" would be a "G"... hehe... I dont know where they come up with these names... Nice art work there
Old 02-23-2005 | 03:14 PM
Speeds2Much
Track Day

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Blur - that IS the Boxster Coupe.

Shame on Porsche. They missed the target audience. Initial thoughts were to bring out a reduced price version below the current Boxster pricing model.

This appears to slot between the Boxster S and the base 911. They will lose some 911 sales to newbies who want to enter the Porsche world, but if they had done this below the Boxster pricing, they'd have enough cash to plaster the racing world with their badge too.
Competing on price is a classic business mistake, especially for a company that is not the low-cost producer. A "cheap" Boxster would have to sell on lease deals, etc. and Porsche would be taking a big risk to invest significantly in capital for a truly mass-production, low-margin product.

Porsche needs to stay at the premium side of the market and let Audi take the value segment.
Old 02-23-2005 | 03:33 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Blur - that IS the Boxster Coupe.

Shame on Porsche. They missed the target audience. Initial thoughts were to bring out a reduced price version below the current Boxster pricing model.

This appears to slot between the Boxster S and the base 911. They will lose some 911 sales to newbies who want to enter the Porsche world, but if they had done this below the Boxster pricing, they'd have enough cash to plaster the racing world with their badge too.
While I didn't want the Boxster Coupe (will never use the name Cayman) to be slotted below the Boxster..........Porsches pricing scheme here is just plain nuts
and greedy at the same time.

I've still got my deposit down, but if the pricing doesn't improve I think I'll take my 1st place waiting list spot and put it out on Ebay. If some moron is willing to pay $60K or more for one of these things, I'm sure they would be stupid enough to pay me a couple of grand for my spot on the list.
Old 02-23-2005 | 03:38 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Speaking of Audi...anyone else seen details on the new RS4 ??? Thats looking good!
Old 02-23-2005 | 03:58 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Originally Posted by danoberer
What a stupid name...no history behind it. Gimmick, wrong price point, etc.
Let's see... 295 hp, mid-engine for great balance, lightweight, more storage than boxster or 911, Porsche-meets-Ferrari-360-Modena looks, all for around $60k?

You're right... they won't sell twenty of them...
Old 02-23-2005 | 04:08 PM
baboou
Instructor

Originally Posted by Red Blur
Is it me or does that look like the Boxster Coupe they're planning on coming out with?
I've thought for some time that that is the long term strategy. Rumors have existed for years about the demise of the 911. I can remember when the rumor was really strong about the 1975 911 being the last 911 model.

Imagine, a Boxster coupe that may equal or outperform the 997. Porsche supports it in racing and if successful (any doubt) they have a really full lineup of moderized mid-engine sports cars. Heck, there's lots of room for growth in the Boxster/Boup (still can't handle Cayman) lineup.

Just my tuppence
Bernie
Old 02-23-2005 | 04:21 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Thought that the name was C7S and that is was a competition Boxster. Cayman is bad to begin with and what MMD quickly did with it is shows it is REALLY bad. Has Porsche gone insane or is Bangle picking names for Porsche now.

Where do I email Porsche execs. to give them an ear full?
Old 02-23-2005 | 04:43 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by greglionb
Let's see... 295 hp, mid-engine for great balance, lightweight, more storage than boxster or 911, Porsche-meets-Ferrari-360-Modena looks, all for around $60k?

You're right... they won't sell twenty of them...
Good points, but......

With that logic the present Boxster S would cost a ton more than it does today
and a lot of people think it's overpriced. The coupe is nothing more than a Boxster with a roof and a few more ponies.......nothing special here.

I'll take a 400HP E90 M3 / Audi RS4 v8 monster with great balance (maybe not quite as good as the Coupe), even more storage space and good looks (subjective) at the same price point over it. Much more for the money.

Porsche-meets-Ferrari-360-Modena looks??........I don't see any resemblance at all, nada, not one.........still looks exactly Porsche........and a Boxster at that.

No doubt Porsche will sell a few......but could have sold a bunch more with a little different strategy.
Old 02-23-2005 | 05:02 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeN
Good points, but......

With that logic the present Boxster S would cost a ton more than it does today
and a lot of people think it's overpriced. The coupe is nothing more than a Boxster with a roof and a few more ponies.......nothing special here.

I'll take a 400HP E90 M3 / Audi RS4 v8 monster with great balance (maybe not quite as good as the Coupe), even more storage space and good looks (subjective) at the same price point over it. Much more for the money.

Porsche-meets-Ferrari-360-Modena looks??........I don't see any resemblance at all, nada, not one.........still looks exactly Porsche........and a Boxster at that.

No doubt Porsche will sell a few......but could have sold a bunch more with a little different strategy.
Not wanting to start a flame war, but trying to compare a 2 seater true sports coupe like the Cayman to a sports sedan, even one as competant as an M3 or RS4, is apples to oranges.

You can argue as much as you want about relative value, but unless a sports car "speaks" to you, they are ALL ridiculous in terms of "value". I mean who really needs the performance of our P-cars? Why get a 400 hp M3 when a 280 hp Acura TL will be 80% of the driving fun, 50% of the cost, and twice as reliable? Heck, a Toyota Camry is probably 50% of the fun and 33% of the cost.

I, for one, am very intrigued by the, admittedly hideously named, Cayman. However, as I have said before, I love the 2+2 aspect of the 911...in addition to the history and panache of the 911.

But, I bet the Cayman (shudder) will be a BLAST to drive regardless of cost, name, and relative value. We'll see...
Old 02-23-2005 | 05:03 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Originally Posted by MikeN

I guess it depends on which spy shot you see... This one looks just fine to me.

Old 02-23-2005 | 05:24 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by greglionb
I guess it depends on which spy shot you see... This one looks just fine to me.

Now I see the resemblance.........4 wheels and red!

The boxster coupe has the same basic profile/stance as the new 987 Boxster......put one of those next to a 360 and you will quickly see they
don't have a lot in common.......maybe a line here or there but vastly different.
Old 02-23-2005 | 05:33 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by alin2
Not wanting to start a flame war, but trying to compare a 2 seater true sports coupe like the Cayman to a sports sedan, even one as competant as an M3 or RS4, is apples to oranges.

You can argue as much as you want about relative value, but unless a sports car "speaks" to you, they are ALL ridiculous in terms of "value". I mean who really needs the performance of our P-cars? Why get a 400 hp M3 when a 280 hp Acura TL will be 80% of the driving fun, 50% of the cost, and twice as reliable? Heck, a Toyota Camry is probably 50% of the fun and 33% of the cost.

I, for one, am very intrigued by the, admittedly hideously named, Cayman. However, as I have said before, I love the 2+2 aspect of the 911...in addition to the history and panache of the 911.

But, I bet the Cayman (shudder) will be a BLAST to drive regardless of cost, name, and relative value. We'll see...
Very true, but there are trade-offs to everything.......and while an E90 M3 may not surpass the new coupe handling wise........having an extra 100 HP and tons more torque on hand will easily solve the slight (and I do mean slight) edge in handling the coupe may have. I dare to think this is a much closer comparison than the TL is to the M3/RS4........the TL is nice, but not even in the same league as the new M3/RS4 will be.

As you said, no doubt the Coupe will be a blast to drive........but will it be that much more fun to drive than some of it's competition? I guess we'll have to see!
Old 02-23-2005 | 05:39 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yeah a Modena and a Boxster in person cannot be mistaked for even having similar lines. Modena is wide and flat. Maybe pictures make them look similar...but even those unfamiliar with cars would have no problem distinguishing the cars.
Old 02-23-2005 | 05:53 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Will the turbo cayman be called the Grand Cayman

Quick Reply: Here comes the Cayman.....