Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy M
Will the turbo cayman be called the Grand Cayman

LOL!
Old 02-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One can only imagine what Alois Ruf will do to the car. A 3.8L mid-engined coupe would be very appealing.

I don't think Porsche will ever again seek to replace the 911. They already made that mistake with the 928. However, what's wrong with an additional option? (Other than the crappy name.)

What would happen if Porsche offered the same engines in the 911 and Cayman? Then people could choose whether they prefer the 2+2 rear-engined car, or the 2-seater mid-engined.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:53 PM
greglionb
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue S2
Yeah a Modena and a Boxster in person cannot be mistaked for even having similar lines. Modena is wide and flat. Maybe pictures make them look similar...but even those unfamiliar with cars would have no problem distinguishing the cars.
Never said you would mistake one for the other, I said it was Porsche meets Modena styling. Plus, since there is only an S coming out, I expect ride height to be aggressively low, something they basically blew on the new boxster IMO....

I just hope the final product looks as good as the one I posted because the other spy shots I've see don't do as much for me as this one.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:16 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks pretty good in some of these angles
Attached Images    
Old 02-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default What's the worry about Cayman?

Has anyone seen official pricing and what's standard and what's optional?

Has anyone seen official performance data yet? 0-60, 0-100, 1/4 mile, etc?

That will tell you whether Porsche have cooked their own goose or not.

My guess is that they have, like Goldilocks, found something that's just right; taking sales away from the Audi TT, BMW 3 Series Coupe, SLK etc. but not damaging the profit mix of the range by taking too many sales from the 911. Which would you prefer to sell if you were Porsche? A fully optioned Cayman, or a bare bones 997?

At the end of the day if you're the good Doctor W. do you give sh*t if you lose sales from one model (the 911) but you bring more euro's to the bottom line? That's what shareholders will demand of you after all...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

It may be jumping the gun to assume the Cayman S is overpriced in relation to the Boxster S. Granted that traditionally the cabrios have been more $, none of us really know all the differences yet in the Cayman S. It may (hopefully) amount to more that a few extra ponies.

I am excited about this car. The Boxster is a brilliant sports car IMO and the Cayman should build upon that.

And each day I hate the name less. Maybe I'll even like it some day!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:14 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Does this board every stop complaining??

The cayman is almost certainly Porsche's best handling production car and it's also fairly powerful...

Many of you complain that every self endulgent wienie has a boxster... Think of this as a way of separating the men from the boys. That wienie isn't spending more for just a roof. He likes to catch rays while drinking his latte...
Old 02-23-2005, 11:36 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There a lot of people that cant afford 997 and tired of Boxster look. They will buy them and there will be a waiting list. Wait and see.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:43 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 535 Posts

this car could be a real winner - the reviews of the Boxster S have been excellent, especially regarding handling and chassis dynamics, and the fixed roof will only improve that. Let's face it, the rear engine car is not optimal, its taken decades of engineering for Porsche to perfect it. The mid engine car is another story.

regarding the price - let's see what the content is before judging.

But what is going on with this name?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:06 AM
SYMA
Pro

When it's all said and done Porsche will sell them by the boat load, sure I don't like the looks at all and the name..... but we just can't live without them can we? leaks and all.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

think of all the graffiti that will change the C to a "G"... hee hee... this is gonna be a huge target for punks... hee hee
Old 02-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

smart move by Porsche though.... 997 performance through serious weight reduction.... apparently its supposed to be lighter than boxster... so what are we weighing it in at 2700 lbs... this sucker should fly and be as fast as a base 997... the base 997 has a 10:1 ratio the Cayman should have a 9:1... not to mention the extra 20 hp you can squeeze out of that 3.4 through a chip, exhaust and airfilter.... makes you wonder...
Old 02-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm totally confused by this move to put something between the Boxster and 911 and cut into both their sales. Everyone I talked to thinks they should have made a Boxster coupe and had that priced just a tad below the current boxster.. something to compete with your 350z's and all that. This is really confusing. Who is going to want the base 911 when I expect the 'Cayman' will probably outperform it and be cheaper.

The only thing that would make sense -- and someone mentioned it earlier -- is if they're planning on getting rid of the 911 after the 997 line and replacing it with the Cayman.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:24 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Why is everyone so sure that mid-engine is better than rear-engine? I understand a bit about dynamic stability and polar moments of inertia, and how they would seem to intuitively favor mid-engine. I have also seen in my own profession (medicine) that often times the intuitive things are proven wrong and the counterintuitive things are sometimes exactly correct.

From another life, flying jets for the USAF, I can draw an example from the F-16 world. The F-16 is arguably the most maneuverable fighter in the world (A good Eagle driver will still kick its a** though). The F-16 is essentially unstable with it's rearward weight bias (sound familiar). However, by using electrons and computers to keep things pointed in the right direction, the instability ends up being an advantage because of it's constant desire to swap ends. The jet needs lots of engineering to be made flyable (sound familiar again) but with that engineering, its liability has become an asset. Perhaps the same can be said of the 911? As crazy and counter-intuitive as it sounds, maybe the best place for an engine is out back? Then again, maybe not. Regardless, I'm not so sure that mid-engine is NECESSARILY the best option.

Cheers.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:30 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,792 Likes on 2,373 Posts

hm... i either save more money to buy ferrari's or drive home an elise tomorrow. not sure about this cayman thing.

Quick Reply: Here comes the Cayman.....