Sponsored by:

SoCal, Ordering 997 S Vert, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:41 PM
TerryR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SoCal, Ordering 997 S Vert, need advice

I'm located in Orange County CA and moving from a 02 Corvette Convertible to the new 997 S Convertible and since I'm new to Porsche, I can use some advice.

1) Newport Beach dealer is saying list price even though it's going to be built to order. Is this normal, should I expect a discount?

2) What would everyone consider must have options? I'm thinking power seats, Bose stereo, 6 Disk CD, floor mats, navigation, sport shifter. Am I missing anything?

3) Dealer is claiming 3 month wait, think this is accurate?

4) Anyone know if the stereo has an after market iPod interface yet?

Thanks in advance! Terry
Old 02-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Newport Beach dealer is saying list price even though it's going to be built to order. Is this normal, should I expect a discount?

for a just released cabriolet, and especially on an ordered car, and in california, seems about right, you should try to get 1000-2000 off though

2) What would everyone consider must have options? I'm thinking power seats, Bose stereo, 6 Disk CD, floor mats, navigation, sport shifter. Am I missing anything?

some very good options to have are adaptive sport seats, Sport Chrono

3) Dealer is claiming 3 month wait, think this is accurate?

yep

4) Anyone know if the stereo has an after market iPod interface yet?

unfortunately no, you have to use FM modulation to get an iPod Signal into porsche's fiber optic stereo
Old 02-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Richard in Colorado
Racer

I got 6K off a new 997 coupe. Ohio dealers seem to be giving good deals. Check it out!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:56 PM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

Shop it around..there are a ton of dealers around so. cal.....Rusnak, Hoehn, Pioneer, Bev Hills, Walters, and more!!!

Some one will give you a discount....
Old 02-20-2005, 11:44 PM
BHANE
Advanced

$6K, thats a good discount... Whats common around here is $2K-$3K off, thats what I hear... I've inquired info on the 997 S thru Walters, AutoGallery, Beverly Hills, and will try Pacific and McKenna. Seems like AutoGallery is the only one thats been following up with me periodically via email...

This are the options I had in mind if I get the 997 S.
G1 - Guards Red
TE - Sand Beige Full-Leather Sports Seats
450 - PCCB
XCZ - Sport Shifter
P01 - Adaptive Sports Seats
XPA - Thicker Sport Steering
XSC - Crested Headrest
680 - BOSE Surround Sound System

Some say this is way too much option... Is it? I've asked several "S" owners on certain options on how they like it and is it worth getting. I get positive answers all the time This car main purpose is for display showcase on the showroom floor or for upcoming show car events/gatherings/meets... This will be lowered dropped to the ground (any lowering springs, coilovers for PASM yet?) J/K on "the dropped to the ground" part hehe... HRE Wheels (undecided on what style rims) 19" or 20"s will be replacing the stock wheels. I love the TechArt 997 bodykit all around, slapping them on as well... Obviously, this car will never see the Tracks... I know, I know you ask, "Whats the PCCB for?" hehe

Im more into the aesthetics, design, styling, and somewhat performance... I did go to Art Center in Pasadena for Transportation Design. Thats why styling is more infulenced in me than overall engineering performance

Goodluck shopping around for your car!
Old 02-21-2005, 12:19 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Holy cow Richard....6K off sticker on an ordered car??
I was told MSRP on all special order cars. Sounds like I'm being taken!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 01:00 AM
sactogreg
Intermediate

$2 or $3K is more like it... I would shop around a little more and find a better deal than MSRP on an order. Some dealers may be getting that, but others will give you less and a nice drive home to boot! Take your business to someone who acts like they want it, not just to someone who takes your order and collects their $10K for doing so.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:05 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Terry:
I've ordered from Newport before, and MSRP is the best you can hope for on an ordered car. You won't get a discount at all on an ordered cab. It's all about demand and supply. They know demand is high and the supply is limited so they tell you up front that they won't add a dealer markup on the car. (As if that's supposed to make you feel good.) I recently placed an order on a 997S in January and they're saying I should receive it sometime in July. My order is still pending allocation slots. I'm hoping my order gets in on the May production run. They still haven't heard yet if that's going to happen. So I don't know what they're referring to when they told you a 3 month wait. Three months before your order gets assigned an allocation slot? Who's your salesman there? I know most of them. By the way, I also have an identical order through Circle Porsche of Long Beach. I was up front with both dealers and told them that the first one to allocate my order gets the sale, simple as that. I was promised by Circle that I would have a May allocation. Though they're a smaller dealership, they're family owned and I've gotten to know and trust them, and I really believe they'll get my business. Besides, they didn't require a $2k deposit like Newport does. Give Michelle Larsson a call: 562-597-3663 tell her Ben from OC sent ya. If she's not there, ask for Chris, he's also a sharp salesguy who knows his Porsches.

As for must have options: Those you've listed are good, though I personally didn't opt for the 6 CD changer. I'd rather swap out my CDs one at a time, depending on my mood. With that changer you're likely to keep the same 6 CDs there for a long long time, since you're likely to forget to change them out. That's what others who have it have told me.

Personally, I didn't opt for the Chrono package. I hate that ugly "wart" of a useless lap-timer (I'll never track my car) sitting atop and ruining the smooth surface of a finely crafted hand-stitched leather dash (I'm getting full-leather). Nope not for me. Also not for me are either of the sports seats options. The shoulder constraints on the seat force you to keep your arms outstretched and both hands on the wheel, which is fine for racing. But on long trips I like to relax one hand and rest an elbow on an armrest. Those seats make it uncomfortable to do that, not to mention the added firmness which contributes to discomfort on long trips. But power seats, I consider a must have.

Shoot me an email and I'll do my best to help a former 'Vette owner get aquainted with the peculiarities of ordering and owning a Porsche.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:12 AM
Moogle
Race Car

MSRP on all ordered cars : THIS IS BS.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:54 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
MSRP on all ordered cars : THIS IS BS.
That's how it is in Southern California, where buyers que up on long waiting lists just to place an order on a Porsche. Lucky for you you live in the NE. Over here, the demand is unbelievable. Disposable income per capita here is one of the highest in the country, and many of the buyers here just pay cash for these cars right there on the spot, as though it were pocket change. When dealers have a stampede of buyers pounding on their doors to buy these cars, what incentive do they have to offer a discount? It's actually a real relief to find a dealer who won't add the common dealer markup to MSRP.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:00 AM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

I also got my 997S through Circle Porsche in Long Beach through Michelle. About 25 miles out of my way as I practically live next door to Newport Auto Center. MSRP for my July 2004 order.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:07 AM
Moogle
Race Car

dealer markup, on porsches? hah.

the californian market, or the porsche brand for that matter won't cut it.

the market may be tight, but a discount large/small is doable, it depends on the buyer.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:08 AM
TerryR
Intermediate

Thanks for all the advice guys! I also know a car broker very well and have already given him a message to see what he can do, hope to find out Tuesday. I don't understand why a special ordered car is full MSRP, the dealer doesn't have all the carrying costs of having a car on the lot that could be sitting there for weeks or months before it sells.

Is there a place where I can see the option lists? I still don't know or understand all the available options.

OCBen, the sales rep was David Puopolo.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Originally Posted by TerryR
Is there a place where I can see the option lists? I still don't know or understand all the available options.

OCBen, the sales rep was David Puopolo.
renntech.org for the order guides
Old 02-21-2005, 02:15 AM
TerryR
Intermediate

Just thought I should mention what a Porsche rep said at the LA auto show about dealer mark-up on a new model. He said it's frownwd upon by corporate and the dealer could get in trouble for doing so. Not sure if it's enforceable but he was pretty adament about it not being common Porsche practice.

I went to a Corvette dealer last week and they are charging $15,000 over list on the new C6 verts that are coming out. Now that is laugable.

Quick Reply: SoCal, Ordering 997 S Vert, need advice