Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What car would (realistically please!) make you consider chopping in your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 04:43 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeze, you Southern CA guys are really making me envious. Please keep it up...
Old 02-08-2005, 11:08 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Aww. come on! The BEST place is Chicago!

The land of 2 seasons...winter and construction!

Where endless traffic, potholes the size of a VW van, 12" of snow mixed with dirt mixed with salt, chip on their shoulder suburban police (not CPD), flat, uninspiring terrain stirs the driving soul. In fact, I often drive a couple of hours to reach more interesting roads in...uumm...Iowa? Wisconsin? Northwest Indiana?!!?

Wait a minute, why am I living in Chicago?

Actually, it's a great place to live, but not a great place to drive...
Old 02-08-2005, 11:37 AM
VS1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to topic at hand. Currently, nothing other than perhaps a 911 TT or an Aston. In a few years I might have a different answer. I bought the 911 to be able to take our daughter with us in a fun car. Just can't do that in the 2-seaters [unless the wife stays home - which often goes over like a lead balloon]. I had considered a Ferrari 456 - but the 911 is a car you can drive everyday and is more pure sports car than the 456.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:52 PM
billatlanta
Racer

If I were staying within the Porsche family a Turbo or a GT3. Now that I have a GT3 the Turbo intrigues me. Outside of Porsche nothing directly compares. As noted you have the exotics which can not be used and lack utility of the 997, then you have true 2+2's and sedans. Possibly a BMW M Series. At the last DE there is a BMW M-5 that most if not all of the group 5 drivers could hang with. I am sure it was not stock, but this 4000 lb sedan carrying the same and most of the time better speed then 996TT, GT3, Track Cars - unbelievable. One heck of car and one heck of a driver.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:05 PM
PV
Pro

Sorry that I took some people from the subject. Thank VS1 for remining. By the way I understand your reasoning. I'm in a similar situation.

I will start another around good driving locations (not living).

The M5 is indeed a great car. I will not take it from my list.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:21 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dealmaker
Guys,

As the heading suggests, realistically, both from a financial and practicality perspective, what cars would make you consider trading-in the 997S??

I have a 997 GT3 on order - so that's one I'd obviously consider - the 997TT would be another (one on order).

But I also find myself looking at the ever dropping prices of Gallardo's lately - and attempting a bit of rationalisation as to why they would make a good buy - "you know that four wheel drive on the Gallardo would come in REAL handy" etc. etc.

The new Aston AMV8 will be out here in UK by the fall - thats also a contender (albeit that there is now a three year wait list) - as would a used F430 in, maybe a years time when prices will have dropped to realistic levels.
997GT3 (if only two seats works for you), 997TT (to be able to take the kids with me), AM-DB9 (in 2+2 to be able to take the kids with me)

The DB9 has to be one of most beautiful car currently available. That is one design that will age well.

One more (they need to update the Vanquish with this interior!)

and of course, any of the above with proper manual tranny...

Quick Reply: What car would (realistically please!) make you consider chopping in your 997?