Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What car would (realistically please!) make you consider chopping in your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 06:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

When I run my car in multi-manufactures track events there are always a few corvettes in the run group. Midway through, they're just in the way. There is no comparison btwn a vette and a 996(not even a 997) at the track.
Nick, why don't you bring you ride out and show us what it's all about?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Of course not! Everything European is superior to US.

Also thank you for alerting me to what forum I am posting on. I would have never known.
Come on Nick, thats not what I said don't divert the subject. Simply, european EVO or Sport Auto is to american Car&Driver what american SportCar Intenational is to european Automobile or Autobuild. You pull out a C&D article and then critizise and EVO article that doesn't go your way.

And I'm not alerting you about anything, you know very well what you are doing, you have been doing it for years, I'm just pointing out that going into a Porsche forum just to bash and provoke about Porsche doesn't not make you the victim when you get critizised and the members stand behind and defend their favorite cars.

Why can't you understand that just like there are reasons for you to buy the F430 instead of the similarly performing less expensive C6-Z06, there are other people who have reasons to buy the 997S intead of the similarly performing less expensive C6. They may not be the same reasons you have but nevertheless just as respectable. The C6 does not offer the same "package" than the 997S, just like the C6-Z06 doens't offer the same "package" as the F430 nor the 997TT. The "package" is much more than straight-line acceleration numbers and exclusivety or looks, its about the way it handles and feel, the steering, the build quality, the engineering, the versatility and practicality, the reliability, the whole driving experience...
Old 02-06-2005, 07:06 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well put Carlos.
When I went shopping for my car a c6 wasn't even on the list, just not what I was looking for at the time.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:06 PM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well said Carlos.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:30 PM
PV
Pro

Carlos, well done.

Where did you take that 294 km/h picture?
Old 02-06-2005, 07:46 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PV
Where did you take that 294 km/h picture?
It was in the highway coming back from work at the end of the day

Its actually a frame grab from one of the videos I did (available in the VIDEOS section at http://members.rennlist.com/raptor/mainhtm.HTM)
Old 02-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Jim Hodel
Advanced

Many Porsche owners like to pretend that price doesn't matter, and if it really did not, I would own a 360 Modena, 360 Challange, a new 430, a 550 Maranello, a Gallardo, a Ford GT, or maybe a twin turbo Viper or any number of outrageous tuner cars over many different Porsche models except perhaps a GT2 or Carrera GT, and if I was in the truly stratospheric price range I'd get a McLaren F1.

If price didn't matter, I'd get a used F355 over a 997 and just deal with the maintenance costs.

Jim
Old 02-06-2005, 09:29 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Jim,

I fully respect your opinion and the way you present it and not bashing other cars. Of course price did matter, it is the number one thing you should have before you can own any cars in your garage.
I can afford all the cars that you mentioned, but I will get a 997 or any other 911 over any of the cars you mentioned as I want something that I can use everyday in the city. Although everyone compare cars by their objective figures such as acceleration and track time, in real life driving (that means 95% of our driving time) those numbers do not mean much to me. For complete car package, my MINI Cooper S offers me tons of driving pleasure, yet it is the slowest car in my garage.

PV,

Congratulations on your 997. The 998 is about 5 to 6 years away. As much as I love the 997, it looks very similar to my 993 (which is a keeper), I am willing to wait a while for the 998 and hopefully make a 3 Porsche garage.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:43 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

After learning that my base C2 is a dog, I immediately began to cry, pulled the car out of the garage and put a for sale sign on it. Does anyone know where I can find a decent, low mileage Fiat 128? Had one back in college. Now THAT was a car. Kind of like a four door Ferrari.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:52 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

Oh, almost forgot, if I was looking for a less expensive new car, I'd completely bypass the 'Vette. For me, it would be either a Mustang GT conv this spring for under $30,000 or waiting for a Mustang Cobra conv which I assume will be under or around $40,000 and have 400 hp. Way cooler than a Corvette, and it has back seats for the kids. $70,000 for a 'Vette? Fuggittaboudit!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:29 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm just a lowly 27 year old who is estatic over owning a new 911, even if it isn't a 997s. I can't imagine (yet) trading it in for anything else... well unless it was a 997s!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:47 AM
RevUrGT3
Racer

Guys, why do you bother responding to Nick? He already won by getting y'all upset... we all know the several reasons why we drive and love Porsches and we do not have to justify it...

I can't remember who uses this signature but it completely applies:

"Never argue with stupid people, first they bring you down to their level and then they beat you with experience..."

Porsche, there is NO substitute...
Old 02-07-2005, 01:00 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos from Spain
Come on Nick, thats not what I said don't divert the subject. Simply, european EVO or Sport Auto is to american Car&Driver what american SportCar Intenational is to european Automobile or Autobuild. You pull out a C&D article and then critizise and EVO article that doesn't go your way.

And I'm not alerting you about anything, you know very well what you are doing, you have been doing it for years, I'm just pointing out that going into a Porsche forum just to bash and provoke about Porsche doesn't not make you the victim when you get critizised and the members stand behind and defend their favorite cars.

Why can't you understand that just like there are reasons for you to buy the F430 instead of the similarly performing less expensive C6-Z06, there are other people who have reasons to buy the 997S intead of the similarly performing less expensive C6. They may not be the same reasons you have but nevertheless just as respectable. The C6 does not offer the same "package" than the 997S, just like the C6-Z06 doens't offer the same "package" as the F430 nor the 997TT. The "package" is much more than straight-line acceleration numbers and exclusivety or looks, its about the way it handles and feel, the steering, the build quality, the engineering, the versatility and practicality, the reliability, the whole driving experience...
Well said. As you say, it's funny that Nick doesn't apply his same arguments comparing the Z06 to his F-cars...

I wonder what kind of emotional feedback he gets from writing inflammatory posts on a Porsche messageboard that he keeps doing the same thing over and over again...
Old 02-07-2005, 01:51 AM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

I don't understand the stupid corvette/911 comparison

would you comparea chevvy implala to a 5 series BMW?

I would hope not

two different classes of car

one has leaf spring suspension and a push-rod V8

the other.....
Old 02-07-2005, 07:09 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Guys,

Let Nick carry on ranting if it makes him happy. This kind of nonsense goes on on every forum regardless of the type of car it is for. Someone will always come on and try to incite a bit of flaming just to make themselves feel more secure about their own car purchase choice. I have to say that I read a Ferrari board for the first time the other day and found it to be hilarious. It was more about "I am considerably richer than you and know this person, that person etc etc so am much better connected and more influential than you", than it was about things Ferrari. Those guys pat themselves on the back for paying $1200 for yellow shields on their front wings for chris'sakes. Totally out of touch with reality. At least the majority of Pcar owners appear to have their feet on the ground and are not patronising to each other.

Quick Reply: What car would (realistically please!) make you consider chopping in your 997?