Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What car would (realistically please!) make you consider chopping in your 997?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:14 AM
Robbo 66
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in the UK, the 'vette' would be considered as desirable as Chelsea Clinton but we shouldn't critisize Nick for his taste here. Over here, anybody seen driving a 'vette' or 'Viper' is seen to be seriously lacking in the trouser department. Huge 'small man syndrome' comes as a no cost option, along with Hooter bars and Dunkin Dougnuts.

There are, however, some real saddo Porsche comments in this thread. You would think that Nick had kidnapped their children with the bile that is being thrown at him. When will some realise that a Subaru or Evo 8 will completely kill the 997 point to point....but that is, infact NOT the point. The reason you buy the 911 is that it says it all a little more subtley than the 'need for speed' brigade.

I have had 5 911's and am awaiting delivery in April for a 997s, having just got out of a 360. I am buying the 997 s as I can use it every day and will sell it in 14 months when my depsit on the AMV8 is realised which I will again use every day.

So to finally answer the question, AMV8...just look at it....the 911 has, at last ,has a real fight on it's hands.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:03 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Robbo,

That AMV8 is going to be a fantastic car I'm sure. I'm very jealous. A friend of mine bought a Vanquish last summer and the sound of the V12 engine in that car is just fantastic. If the V8 sounds half as good the price would be worth it for that alone. The new Aston's just have so much more understated appeal than either a Ferrari or Lamborghini and don't elicit the same negative attitude towards the driver from other road users.

My 997 is my first Porsche and a step up in terms of brand. I'd love to think that the AMV8 would be my next move but time will tell.

The initial thread had a comment about the used values of Lamborghini Gallardos coming into Porsche terrotory. I know of a guy who has one with the e-gear box. It has been off the road constantly with major faults in the electrics, gearbox etc and he is given an Audi RS6 as a courtesy car. He really regards himself as an idiot who paid £120k for an RS6 and occassionally gets to drive a Lambo for half a day before it breaks down on him as part of the deal. I believe he would gladly sell it if it would only run long enough for someone to take a test drive.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:03 PM
PV
Pro

Carlos,

like to know where you commute. Maybe I should move there too!!

Targa Tim,

Thanks. I think that 6 years is too early for Porsche to go the 998. First it will be 997A, B, and C, as it indeed looks so close to the 993.

Anybody out there who is commuting day to day via the Autobahn?
Old 02-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Tina K
Track Day

I maybe would consider an even trade for a Bentley GT in gunmetal grey or that blood red color seen in photos. Of course, I would probably be desperate to reverse my decision after two weeks' time.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PV
Carlos,
like to know where you commute. Maybe I should move there too!!
Sure, just don't get caught at 180mph though, the limit on the highway is still 72mph (120km/h) here So the downside is speed is not unlimited like on parts of the Autobahn, the good side is that is way more curvy and sinuating, and with less traffic which makes it highspeed heaven with a good radar detector and a good nose to sniff out cops ... oh yeah, and a 911 helps too
Old 02-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I think it's funny that people are arguing/having preconceived notions about cars that haven't been introduced, may never exist, or that they have never driven. C6 Z06? AMV8? 997 Turbo? 997GT3? F430?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the AMV8 and the F430 have already been driven/tested by a couple of car magazines.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

The AMV8 was released last week. Any articles up to this point have been pure speculation, as are the comments here. Yes, the F430 has been reviewed; I didn't say it hasn't been.

My point is that nobody here has driven these cars, yet opinions are already formed to the point of some here arguing about them, which is just silly.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Is "here" that important? What is important is that someone has actually driven the cars on the road and track, rather than the usual C&D puff piece or biased "enthusiast" gush on a website with no real credentials, or basis for objective comparison.

European magazines have driven both cars. In the case of the AMV8 "Autocar" went hot weather testing in the Middle East (published last week), and "Car" and "Evo" have both driven the F430 on the road in Italy and compared it to the Gallardo. They prefered the F430 btw.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:17 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to the original question of what ride would I trade in my 997 S for... only a 997 variant.

I HATE being noticed for the cars I own. I really, really hate it. Where I live a '04 M3 gets too much attention... hoots of adoration in parking lots, chased down the freeway for a look, flipped off by ricers I won't race. F - it. Pure aggrevation.

A great aspect of the 997 S is that the same morons who yell at an M3 don't even notice the Porsche. I think it looks like every other Porsche to the NOPI tuner crowd. I love driving such a fantastic machine and going unnoticed. I couldn't drive a Ferrari, Lambo, Aston, or GT because it wouldn't be FUN... and when driving isn't fun, life sucks.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:15 AM
Tour18
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Back to the original question of what ride would I trade in my 997 S for... only a 997 variant.
Thanks for putting this back on track. It's pretty sad to see so many guys instantly digress into PORSCHE or VETTE or Whatever guys. In that instant, I realize they are not automotive enthusiasts at all. Suddenly I must question anything anyone here says about things Porsche...
Old 02-08-2005, 02:50 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

Like I said, the only car I would trade my car in for is a 997S or some other 911. Since this is my first 911 I am just soaking in the beauty of driving this car.

To Johnny, where I live M3s are a dime a dozen and don't really get any attention. There are about 20 M3s in my parking lot at work.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:16 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I swear, I swear, I swear... I'm moving to Palm Springs. I haven't gotten a good drive in my 997 S since Christmas day because of the snow or the crap on the road left by the snow trucks.

Hey, there's a good topic... where's the best place to live to drive P-cars year round, with fun twistie roads, and near a track or two? Gotta be So Cal. I would think. But, then again, I thought this place would be fun. Dumb.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:44 AM
riotgear
Rennlist Member

Received 481 Likes on 211 Posts

The best place is Northern California. We have mild weather all year round... summers are not too hot and the winters are not too cold. Plus, there is a higher concentration of smart people... hence no fools chasing M3s down parking lots and hooting at them.

We have Infineon Raceway, Thunder Hill Raceway, and Laguna Seca for track days.

I'm from the Los Angeles area (Pasadena). It is too hot in the summer and the air is horrible... Plus you have to deal with all the SUVs with 24" rims kicking up rocks. the ladies are nice... but I'm married now.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:28 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gotta say San Diego is the place to be. All of the great weather, women and roads that LA has but none of the air or people problems. BTW Tahoe is my second favorite place to be, it just might be the most beautiful area in north america.

Quick Reply: What car would (realistically please!) make you consider chopping in your 997?