Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Keyed....Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a fellow who's 911 got keyed on the front fender. He left it there. Didn't bother fixing it. Reminds him of how low people can get for selfish reason. Looks horrible, but i wonder if that would have any affect on people's attitudes that see the car. Any opinions on that?

Im sorry to hear it your car got keyed again. Thats horrible. Also, about your father questioning your purchase...you bought it becomes its what you wanted. There is nothing wrong with that. Even if it is impractical. "why should you have to buy a car likethat" .... You DONT have to. You choose to because it is what you want. That is more than enough justification. Don't let stuff like that steer you away.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:04 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That first ding or scratch is always the worst. Every car I've bought has been new - starting with when I was 17 (am 41 now). I lost count - probably 15 cars by now and with each one it was the same...

It happened and do the best you can to buff it out and get back to enjoying the car. Don't give in to the vandals.

Perhaps think about where you park in another way. Right now, you go way out, where the car becomes a target. No cars around you, just this brand new Porsche just waiting for jerks to go scratch up. Instead, realize it is just a car and might get a ding by a guy getting into or out of his car. What I do is find an end cap spot in an isle where other people park. Or, if there's no end cap spot, I'll find one where the car to the left and right are pretty nice - figuring the guy / girl owning the car is less likely to swing open without a care.

In my 25 years of driving new cars, I've never had one scratched up or otherwise vandalized. May be luck or may be that my parking strategy somehow worked. If you try to blend in, perhaps you'll be less of a target - it may even give the vandals the impression that you aren't making a "superiority" statement by parking "out there".

Just thinking out loud...
Old 12-19-2004, 10:31 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience...however, don't let this change your lifestyle or give in to the vandals.

Here is a positive suggestion: Try using a car cover when you have to park in a public space. Yes it is a pain in the a**, however, it will deter vandalism and provide a little extra padding from door dings.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that this happened. Whoever did the vandalism wanted to ruin your day. Try not to let it happen.

I once used a car cover in a public place. When I returned to the car, the cover was gone.

Many Porsche owners have experienced this sort of crap. The sideview mirror on my 986S was also bashed out by a vandal.

When all is said and done, you still own a great car. And the vandal is still an *******.

Illegitimus non carborundum.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:46 PM
ldrake
7th Gear

Sorry to hear about your car. I have a 997S that was hit in the parking lot by an idiot driving a utility van. I thought it was intentional but my wife says that it was not. Either way, it makes you wonder if it is worth having a nice car like yours. After having a week to think about it I have decided that I will have the scratch fixed and continue to enjoy the car. It is something that I have dreamed about for many years and have worked very hard to afford. No way am I going to let some careless act take away my enjoyment of something that I have worked so hard to acquire. Don't get too down over this. Find a good body shop, have the problem fixed and enjoy the car. Life is to short to let some sick person control what you do.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:29 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn straight, you worked your *** off for that car, among other things, don't let vandals/jealous losers win by selling your car. By that logic, you can't have a nice home, clothes, vacations or anything else because somebody who made their own decisions in life (and ended up in their plight by their own design) might feel jealous. F'em, I'd get the car painted bright yellow next time!
Old 12-20-2004, 02:18 AM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Someone ripped out the chrome gills slits on my m3 a couple days ago. These people are lowlifes. I think I am going to get a hidden camera just in case.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:19 AM
msch
Instructor

Originally Posted by Anir
First of all, OH997, I'm sorry about your misfortune. However, as someone who has lived in multiple states (MI, AL, TX, GA, KY, etc), I do feel that OH997 has a point about regional differences in attitudes. The majority of folks in industrial, manfacturing-based, Northern states such as Michigan or Ohio certainly view Porsches differently than folks in some other areas. Just think of all the rhetoric about lost jobs and outsourcing affecting Ohio citizens during the recent Presidential election.
i would think the anger would be more directed towards Asians and Asian-imports rather than German cars. My reasoning is that American Car Industry face stiff opposition from the Asian imports due to cheap labor and other misc cost-saving methods. I'm just reminded of Vinvent Chin when I hear something like this.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:24 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A few things that happened to me in life helped me get over things like scratches, pits, and various other things that happens to cars. I held my dad's hand as he died, spent 3 weeks with my cousin as she died of cancer, even almost lost my hand last February (reconstructive surgery did wonders - I'm back almost as good as new).

Whenever something does happen to my car (or boat, or whatever), I just think to myself "It's just a car..." Really unimportant when you think about it.

When I got my M3 it was the most expensive car I had purchased to date. People were telling me I shouldn't drive it in the rain, keep it off the track, and under no circumstance should I drive it in the winter.

I do the opposite - I love to drive it in the rain - the PS2s grip like glue. I wait in anticipation for the snow to fly so I can go out and have a blast (with snow tires of course). I go to the track as often as I can and when the guy in front of me goes off and throws sand and pebbles onto my car it doesn't bother me - it adds "race patina" to the car.

I could very easily afford a winter car / SUV, a dedicated track car, etc. - but that takes the fun and purpose out of the M3. I see the Porsche 997 in the same light. It's built as a street / track car that is also fine in the rain and snow. What fantastic cars - happy in any situation, even if they show some wear.

Don't let something like this get in the way of you enjoying your car. Selling it will just be giving in to what the vandals want. Now that I think of it, we are talking about a form of "urban" terrorism. Don't give in.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RonCT,

Well said. After crunching my 993 in the Kink at Road America (and causing $49K of damage), I was initially bummed of course, but then I thought - "I'm not hurt and it's just a car".

My mother lived with my wife and I during the last year of her life as she slowly died of metastatic cancer. Puts things in perspective.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, but it still sucks to have your new expensive car needlessly keyed......

But, I agree.....keep things in perspective....AK
Old 12-20-2004, 10:03 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Sorry to hear about that. I've had a previous 911 and two BMWs keyed, all random acts, all in affluent areas, and in every instance all the cars nearby were keyed, too...some nicer and some not at all nice.

So every time I would've been a victim no matter what I was driving. It sucks, but it happens. Don't bother changing your life over it.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Ms Kita
Addict
Rennlist Member

Man, OH997, I feel your every word. My car was keyed twice too, the second time immediately after the repair. And oh, man, I am feeling you!! Your car is from you to you, with LOVE. Fix it! Keep it!
Old 12-21-2004, 07:42 AM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make no mistake about it this is not a Greek tragedy and pales in comparison to life's real issues. Seven years ago my youngest son had brain surgery so I know the difference between real pain and this. It's just a car and since I have only kept three cars for more than 18 months in my entire life I will certainly get over it.

My main frustration is that there are people out there with such blatant disregard for others. In fact, it's not disregard, it's disdain. Tolerance and acceptance seem to be gone. If you are a Democrat it's probably fair to say you HATE George Bush. If you are a Republican you probably DESPISED John Kerry. Live and let live no longer exists. It's been replaced by live like me and I'll let you live. I exaggerate for effect, but not much.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:04 AM
munro86
Racer

I call them the "Failed, Fearful and Forgotten" Its a strange mix of jealousy,lack of application resulting in not achieving any success and just a shear perversity in assuming that the owner of such a vehicle is somehow undeserving. Its happened to me twice. The first time on my 85 Carrera and recently on my BMW. My first thought was not repeatable here, but my second was-this person doesn't know anything about me- I've worked hard, got myself educated-am a law abiding citizen-Why did he do this (assuming its a he)? I'm afraid you just have to cop it-and as others have said in the scheme of things it is very minor-but there is still this lingering-why?

Quick Reply: Car Keyed....Again