Car Keyed....Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OH997
My main frustration is that there are people out there with such blatant disregard for others. In fact, it's not disregard, it's disdain. Tolerance and acceptance seem to be gone. If you are a Democrat it's probably fair to say you HATE George Bush. If you are a Republican you probably DESPISED John Kerry. Live and let live no longer exists. It's been replaced by live like me and I'll let you live. I exaggerate for effect, but not much.
OH997,

I hope your son came through in good shape.

Good point. My wife and I have discussed this a lot recently. There seems to be a lot of intolerance around today. I am a Christian who had a Hindu father and now am married to a Jewish gal. When I try to explain this to some folks (only after being asked, mind you!), they seem truly frightened by the complexity of it all - and look at me with pure bewilderment. They can't seem to understand how I could accept my Dad and wife the way they are - without trying to change them.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:22 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Son came through with flying colors. Thanks for asking. He's a healthy 14 year-old and we couldn't ask for more.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH997:
I'm sorry to hear this happened again... My stomach is still turning from when you told us it happened the first time!

I agree with the rest... Don't get rid of the car! It is your dream and you shouldn't let some jealuous bored punk take that dream away. As long as you can live with the thought of the possibility that it may happen again, you should be able to enjoy life with your 997.

It is true that in some respects our lifestyles change with the introduction of a brand new 911 in our lives. I'm still adjusting after 3 months of ownership (after 30 years of waiting since I knew I wanted one). But the enjoyment I get out of the car when I'm driving it or admiring its design is so much greater, that makes these daily annoyances livable.

I think RonCT's parking strategy suggestions may be something to be considered, I just may add that I seek parking next to minivans and 4 door sedans as much as possible. Like you I try to park as far away from the masses as possible (never taking 2 spaces), but the more I think about it, doing this may actually help inspire a lowlife and bored vandal to do some damage.

Glad to hear your son made it through with flying colors.

Cheers.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't let immature people dampen your spirit to drive and enjoy your dream car.. Keep the Porsche...
Old 12-23-2004, 12:13 AM
AndrewSS
Advanced

ohhh that sucks!!! I live in OHIO too and my dad and I took advantage of that day (40+ degrees) in the 997S... I hope we never have that happen

you sound depressed (cant blame you) dont sell the car though, keep it, if you need some justification to own a car like the 997 go now and sign up for some driver classes at the Mid Ohio track!!! (if you havnt already)

A day or two at the track should make you realize why you have the porsche!

I feel bad for you, how deep is it??? Maybe read up on www.carcareonline.com and check out their articles on how to PROPERLY repair stratches.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Charles Thronso
Intermediate

One thought: A lot of guys park way out on the lot, in an isolated space. I think it makes the car a target, almost as much as the "two-space angled parking" cars.

I try to park next to another nice car (Audi, Lexus, etc.) if I can find one, but right in the thick of things. I never park next to a beater or jacked-up pickup if I can help it. Anyone can get keyed any time, but I think helps the odds.

Just a thought.

Charlie
Old 12-25-2004, 02:09 AM
redduck996
Burning Brakes

Default re

sorry to hear about your incident. I really hope I dont have to deal with that. people are so inconsiderate when it comes to parking.. they just wham the door open without looking.

so what are you going to do? how are you going to get it fixed?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:15 AM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

Originally Posted by SrfCity
That sucks! If it will make you feel any better a buddy friend of mine had his C4S keyed in a grocery store parking lot last Thursday night in Corona Del Mar, CA.(affluent area) His guess is that it was the security guard who told him not to park there because of a local event that was going on.

I've also got a Chevy Trailblazer that I use any time the parking is going to be questionable. Knock on wood I have not had a problem. I just try to reduce the risk the best I can.
I live in Corona Del Mar. The people who live here are probably not the ones that keyed your friend's car. Either the security guard as you said or the people who were coming in from out of town for the Christmas Boat Parade. The people who live here are generally too conservative and relatively wealthy to do that kind of stuff.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:01 AM
djames
Instructor

Why someone in this day and age would perform such a thoughtless and cruel stunt is beyond me. In all liklihood both acts were random. As others may have mentioned, when you do have your car repaired, be sure to take pleanty of photos detailing the repair process since any potential buyer of your car down the road will request such info.

Hope this negative experience doesn't come close to outweighing the otherwise positive enjoyment of your new car.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:00 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

People Will Never Change amigo - Evny is a B^tch - Sorry to hear it - I wish I could catch that SOB and Key their Liver.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:35 PM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

Originally Posted by RJMDAD996
People Will Never Change amigo - Evny is a B^tch - Sorry to hear it - I wish I could catch that SOB and Key their Liver.
I've got a set of golf clubs that I carry around in my Acura. In case something happens, I could wrap my 3-iron around the dude's head. Unfortunately, there is no room in my Porsche for the golf bag.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Sobe
Pro

http://www.taser.com/self_defense/index.htm
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 PM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

Here's my taser:

http://www.pinggolf.com/classics/irons/isi.html
Old 12-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Stef Scheepers
Advanced

I would not want to catch somebody keying my car, because I am afraid of the aftermath traceable to me. Would like to catch a punk scratching somebody else's car though: imagine him explaining to the paramedic "don't know what happened, last I remembered I was scratching a car and then WHAM!".
A good cop once said "if you carry a baseball bat in your car, just make sure you have a ball as well".
Old 12-29-2004, 10:50 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Pepper spray works for me.

Quick Reply: Car Keyed....Again