Sponsored by:

Car Keyed....Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 06:18 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just try to park like a normal person would

Not sure what you mean by this. If I was driving my wife's Saab I would have ended up in the same space. If they put yellow lines down for parking and I stick my car there I should be fine.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:44 AM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH997,

Have you considered having a protective film installed on your car? I don't have one on my car, but other people using this site have recommended them and it seems like they could prevent (or reduce) the damage from being keyed. Check out this thread for more details:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=film
Old 01-03-2005, 12:18 PM
OH997
Pro

I have seen some put protective film on the front end but I've never seen this on the rear quarter. If someone wants to vandalize the car they'll find an area not covered. I apprecaite the idea but the thought of covering the entire car and driving around in a 997 condom doesn't appeal to me.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Buy a beater. My Ford Explorer is the ultimate stealth parking lot ride. My life is stress-free.
Save the Porsche for cruising. I do not have these issues or worries because I just reisgned to the fact that the P-car is a toy. A toy that gets a lot of attention. Driving your car into a mall or shopping center lot is like walking into a donut shop in a TUX. Think about it... We've bought these cars for two reasons, for the performance and the attention. Face it, we are going to get both, hands down. Just enjoy the performance and leave the car home for everything else.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Franklin229
Buy a beater. My Ford Explorer is the ultimate stealth parking lot ride. My life is stress-free.
Maybe not. SUVs are often targets of eco-terrorists - a disease spreading now.

... We've bought these cars for two reasons, for the performance and the attention...
I agree w/ the first reason and strongly disagree w/ the second. Attention was never in my list.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

ADias

Granted if you buy a high end SUV, you could be in th same boat. I'm talking a who could care less kind of everyday car. My Explorer is way down on the high visibility list. Plus there are more tree harvesters than huggers out here in New England.
As for attention vs performance, these cars are attention getters, regardless of whether you bought for show or go (I happen to be with you on the "go" side). We have little control over this dynamic. Why ask for it?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:52 PM
OH997
Pro

If I buy a beater to drive because I don't want to trash my car driving in the winter that seems reasonable since it's my choice. The minute I have to park my Porsche and only drive it when I can keep a constant watch it is more trouble than it's worth. I don't have enough leisure time to treat it as a toy; I don't have that much time to play.

Also, does attention have to equate to jealousy and vandalism? There are some mansions a couple of miles from me, should I torch them? They are nicer than mine. I've got a client that drives a Ferrari, should I key his car?

I contend that hiding my car would be only slightly different than selling it. F'em. I will drive it and hopefully catch the next guy stupid enough to take a key to it again.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:15 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

It all depends on how much you want to be concerned about a car. This is my point. I do not keep constant watch over my car because I avoid situations where I have to watch it-I just drive it. No stress here-it's a routine. By not having enough leisure time to treat it as a toy one has to reconcile that a door ding here ot there or bumper crunch will not mean anything. This will happen, regardless of which spot you pick or what angle you part at-odds are not in your favor. Over time you WILL get a ding, scratch or scrape. If you accept this then go for it or sell the car. I am at ease beaching the Ford at the super markets and malls and keeping the toy to play with.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:21 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its just a car. Drive it as much as you can and then get a new one in few years. Don't spoil your fun and not dive your car because of some jeolus jerk.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

OH997,

I also live in central Ohio and believe it or not, the trick that my other P-car friends and I have discovered is just parking it in a completely normal spot. Find the same spot that you would park a car you didn't care about. Now that of course is relative, because I would not park next to a car that is obviously wreked or in complete disrepair, but I try to park right in the thick of things. It is also relative because there are no cars that I "don't care about", but that is beside the point. Believe it or not I have not had intentional damage once (knock on wood). My friend was driving a speed yellow 996 for a while and parked in this same fashion without ever having problems either. I have found that if you park in the middle of no where it will really send the message that it will get under your skin if your car is damaged. People with no morals will go out of their way to make you regret caring about your car. You might give it a shot, the worst case is that you find yourself back in the paint shop, and the vandals have already been doing their best to keep you there anyway. Good luck whatever you choose to do.

PS. are you active in any of the local Porsche clubs? I would really like to participate in club drives, or something of the like, but never have.

--Ryan
Old 01-08-2005, 08:36 AM
OH997
Pro

Ryan

My original post probably made it look like I hid my car in the parking lot. I was in the main lot, I just chose not to squeeze into a spot near the store. I've definitely been more conscious of where I park and I’m more likely to look for a spot closer. This will at least force the person to take a bigger risk.

I am not active in any of the clubs but I plan to get involved. Probably look at it over the next month or so anticipating improved weather.

Bob
Old 01-08-2005, 09:27 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a picture of the last Porsche Club drive before switching to the 997. Awesome people, who love cars & driving! My old car is the lapis blue one in front of the 996tt.

Old 01-09-2005, 01:37 PM
thomed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homer Simpson speaks...

Hmmm......let's see,

DAD disapproves of the car, DAD knows where you shop......

Why.....I'd sure be havin' a talk with dad and the gang he hangs out with!!

(I'm sorry, I'm really sorry, about this feeble attempt at humor.....going back into lurk mode.)
Old 01-09-2005, 01:55 PM
OH997
Pro

He'd be a prime suspect if it wasn't for the fact that he'd have to leave the house to perpetrate such a crimeAll attempts at humor appreciated. I think the real culprit was the Kia dealer across the street from Best Buy. He wasn’t trying to hurt the car, just wanted a little 997 DNA so the engineers in Korea could attempt to clone the vehicle. That would explain why the Chevy Celebrity parked next to me went unscathed.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:59 PM
drnick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while deciding what colour to re-paint my old 928 people were warning me about vandalism if i chose a colour that drew attention. i cant live life and make my choices around the fact that that some people are *******, so i chose bright orange! i am more mindful of where i leave it parked, right where everyone can see it. dont sell the car if you enjoy driving and owning it, revell in it.

Quick Reply: Car Keyed....Again