Sponsored by:

Car Keyed....Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 07:25 PM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Car Keyed....Again

I just got my car back a few weeks ago. I had only driven it 5 or 6 times and then it was keyed again. The first time around I was about 100 percent sure who did it. This time I believe it was a random act. Since I live in Ohio I wanted to take advantage of a 40+ degree sunny day. I took one quick trip to Best Buy with my wife and son and I parked in as secluded a spot as I could find one week before Christmas. When I cam out the drivers side rear quarter had been keyed.

I am pissed. I live in a largely democratic, union dominated town. Probably some kids who thought they were being funny or some laid-off steelworker that blames every piece of foreign metal they see for they predicament. Before someone fires elitist comments off to me, I am working class, my family is working class. I worked full time while going to college. It took me nine years to graduate and another ten years to pay off my student loans. I am just fortunate I chose a vocation with substantial financial rewards if you excel. The value of the first twenty cars I drove wouldn't have made a decent down-payment on the 997.

At this point I am seriously considering getting rid of the car. I have had several MBs, BMWs, and no problems. I can't watch over the car and I refuse to have a car that I have to treat like some restored classic. The last time I balked when others said I should have kicked the a$$ of the person who did it. My comment was it's just a car and although I was pissed, I could paint it and not change my life. This is different now. If I get rid of the car my life style has changed. I can guarantee that if I had seen the person do this, I would be in jail right now. Before someone says getting rid of the car is extreme keep in mind that I have probably driven the car 40 times and so that translates to 5% of the time I drive the car someone has purposely abused it.

Maybe I should have drawn a bit of a clue when my father asked me on Thanksgiving Day how much I paid for the car. I refused to tell him but his next question probably reflects the parochial attitude of my community, "why would you have to buy a car like that?” On the lighter side he went on to say I'll bet that payment must be around $500 per month and that's ridiculous.

This board is great for a lot of reasons. The last time this happened it was pretty therapeutic to vent on the board. Thanks for listening...
Old 12-18-2004, 07:29 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry man. All I can tell you is that I have owned a P car since the 80s. Most of those cars are driven daily, parked at the airport, malls, movies, etc. I have never been keyed or had any damage done to any of my cars. I assume you are not parking in two spaces??

I don't know why that would happen...

Good luck.
Roy
Old 12-18-2004, 07:29 PM
Billy Bob Dibble
Instructor

Was your C4 Cab a problem? Does it have plates yet? Possibly once you get plates on your car it will be less of a "target".

On another note, I am sure this could/can happen any where. Kids keying cars falls accross all demographics.

I should let you know that I laughed out loud (lol) when I read "$500 a month".
Old 12-18-2004, 07:36 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 916 Likes on 511 Posts

large shopping malls are the worst places. its hard to have a car like this and not restrict yourself when taking it to certain public places, given the makeup of our society.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:41 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RWO
Sorry man. All I can tell you is that I have owned a P car since the 80s. Most of those cars are driven daily, parked at the airport, malls, movies, etc. I have never been keyed or had any damage done to any of my cars. I assume you are not parking in two spaces??

I don't know why that would happen...

Good luck.
Roy
First of all, OH997, I'm sorry about your misfortune. However, as someone who has lived in multiple states (MI, AL, TX, GA, KY, etc), I do feel that OH997 has a point about regional differences in attitudes. The majority of folks in industrial, manfacturing-based, Northern states such as Michigan or Ohio certainly view Porsches differently than folks in some other areas. Just think of all the rhetoric about lost jobs and outsourcing affecting Ohio citizens during the recent Presidential election.

To carry the issue a bit further, I almost never have problems with slow drivers hogging the left hand lane in Kentucky. However, the practice is the norm in Ohio and Michigan. Don't understand the huge regional differences in attitude, but they are real.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:27 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

That sucks! If it will make you feel any better a buddy friend of mine had his C4S keyed in a grocery store parking lot last Thursday night in Corona Del Mar, CA.(affluent area) His guess is that it was the security guard who told him not to park there because of a local event that was going on.

I've also got a Chevy Trailblazer that I use any time the parking is going to be questionable. Knock on wood I have not had a problem. I just try to reduce the risk the best I can.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:35 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 749 Likes on 546 Posts
Default Car milkshaked

Although it does not compare to keying, my car on the day I picked it had a milkshake deposited on its roof while my wife and I were having dinner. Never had an issue with my 993, but the C4S 996 must draw more attention.

I always park in corner spots when possible and far away.

I agree about taking new car tags off. For some reason, people are envious about a new car and do things to it.

I had a new car inn the 70's and I got milkshaked in the interior when I left the window open.....was in Florida....that was a mess, right into the steering column......

Also the same car was keyed.......it was a red fastback Datsun that looked pretty sharp......maybe it is a bright color that attracts ??? So that makes three times in 32 years of driving..........................
Old 12-18-2004, 08:38 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks! I am always concerned about damage when driving my 996 and having to park somewhere. If I can't find a place to park that I believe to be safe, I go on home and go shopping in another car. But sometimes you get these ******** that will go out of their way to screw with you. There is a special hell for people you deliberately damage something that belongs to another.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:53 PM
OH997
Pro

I have had plates on the car for a couple of months so unfortunately no relief in sight there.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:54 PM
vtrader
Track Day

So is it best to always use valet parking then?
Old 12-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry to hear that dude. I went through several episodes getting my car keyed by the psycho ex-husband of my wife. Stressed me out and pissed me off (which was his goal, I'm sure). Also caused me to look around my car, in fear, every time I came out of a shopping center etc.......Haven't had the problem in years now.....AK

Last edited by CayenneAK; 12-18-2004 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:51 PM
Roadking
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear. People can be such jerks. What goes around comes around. Some day after he has saved all his Pepsi tops and buys his first car, someone will take a chunk out of the door and he will be furious. His mind, however small, will recall his keying actions of your 997 and hopefully it will trigger some remorse, doubtful, but wishful thinking. If I see someone key any of my stuff, they will need to get their body repaired. Dont get rid of your car, get it fixed and enjoy the hell out it. The world is full of idiots...
Old 12-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Sobe
Pro

At this point I am seriously considering getting rid of the car. I have had several MBs, BMWs, and no problems. I can't watch over the car and I refuse to have a car that I have to treat like some restored classic
I think this is a sigh of the times to some extent ... it is becoming harder and harder to take care of a nice car , it is like a full time job sometimes worrying about it .
Old 12-19-2004, 01:33 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vtrader
So is it best to always use valet parking then?
um....no.
if you can give them a tip up front to keep it up front...and let YOU park it there....then: yes.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:44 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

I do not think you should change your lifestyle and sell your car. I am always aware of where I park my car. I do not drive it to the grocery store or Home Depot. On occasion I drive it w/ my wife to the grocery store, but I stay in the car. You have to deal with it the same way.

Quick Reply: Car Keyed....Again