Sponsored by:

2005 nav system

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:09 PM
noahark2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 nav system

I am having my nav system removed as I never got the disc and don't have any use for it. Anyone interested in purchasing the drive please let me know or else it will just go back to the dealer next week.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:25 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Its there and you paid for it, give it a chance, they can be really helpful getting you to an un-famillar address!

BTW the system is more than just the drive
Old 11-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Weissy
Instructor

You don't get the GPS DVD when you pick up the car???
Old 11-30-2004, 04:47 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

The NAV disks are shipped directly to you by Navteq (or sometimes to the dealer) right after you buy the car; the dealer orders it and gives them the software version from your car and they send it right out.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Weissy
Instructor

So how long does it typically take then to get the DVD?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:02 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I week or less, if they send it to the correct ZIP. Mine was returned to NavTeq from some place in Oklahoma. I live in California. I finally got the DVD and the Navi system works fine. Not as good as the one in my Lexus LS430, in my opinion.

Last edited by DD694; 11-30-2004 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Weissy
Instructor

Why do you like the Lexus nav better? This is going to be my first car with nav and was really looking forward to it.

Trending Topics

Old 12-01-2004, 01:20 AM
DD694
Instructor

Lexus has touch screen, clearer display, easier to use. I would not know the Lexus is better if I had not used it on my own car. I will get used to the PCM Navi and I am glad I have it. Each system has its own characteristics.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:46 AM
zacharie
Advanced

Hi noahark2,
how much do you ask for it please?
do we need a Porsche mechanic to set it in the car or is it a DIY procedure?
Thanks

zacharie
Old 12-01-2004, 09:37 AM
OH997
Pro

My nav disc was with the car when I picked up the car.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Don't get rid of it... it is very cool and informational. My disks (actually you get 3) arrived within a week of purchasing the car (this September). It is actually a very good tool when carving uncharted canyons and backroads... it gets you back home.

It is a good system, although a touch screen feature may make it easier to use, but it is already easy to use. And if you think about it sooner or later the touch screen will get scratched or smudged, and will start to look cheesy on your dash, whereas Porsche's setup will not.

Just my 2 centavos.

Cheers.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:00 PM
Adrian Fuller
Instructor

Originally Posted by Weissy
Why do you like the Lexus nav better? This is going to be my first car with nav and was really looking forward to it.
I have PCM 2 on my 996 and Sat Nav on my Lexus RX300 (wife's car)

The Lexus system is much better:

Touch screen
Split (dual screens)
Ability to add place names and icons to the map
Route preview
3 alternative routes to chose from (shown on map in 3 colours)
Voice prompts are better - for example you get "at the roudabout follow M25 towards Heathrow" rather than "please take the 3rd exit on the left at the roundabout" etc. etc.

The only down side to speak of is the poxy safety issues. As soon as you start to drive most of the on screen buttons blank out and functions cant be accessed "for safety" !!

I know you guys are used to "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" nonsense but I find this nannying over the top. - What if a passenger wants to access the navigation menues ??
Old 12-01-2004, 07:20 PM
DD694
Instructor

I have a 997S with Navi and also a 2004 Lexus LS430 with nav. I love the Lexus nav system for all the reasons you state, except for the same silly fault you find. Once you start moving, you can't access much on the Lexus nav system. We can probably thank the US trial lawyers for this. I was just out in my 997S and had no problem selecting a destination from memory and getting route guidnace for same, all while moving at speed. It is nice to know my "navigator" will be able to navigate as we drive in the 997S.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:09 PM
nicoff
Racer

I have found that most OEM navigation systems are lousy. I am familiar with the system in a 2004 Cayenne and also with a 2004 Toyota (Lexus). The one in my 2004 LC is similar (same?) to the one in the LS430. In my opinion this Toyota/Lexus system has one of the worst user interfaces I have seen. Yes, it has a touch screen, but, as others pointed out, once you set an address and start moving, you have to stop the vehicle in order to make changes. If I add to this the fact that "active voice navigation" is horrible (actually it practically does NOT work), it has a very the limited number of POIs in the system, limited capabilities (too few waypoints allowed, does not let you plan a route via certain points, not able to plan an entire trip, does not even tell you the TIME when you will arrive at your destination, etc.) I can only conclude that this system is LOUSY.
My stand-alone Garmin 2620 walks all over any of these OEM navi systems. It has touch screen, millions and millions of POI, great GUI, more features and flexibility, and the entire USA and Canada built into a hard drive (no need to ever change discs), and I while on the go I can ask to tell me the nearest whatever I want along my route without having to stop! I am now taking it with me on my trips in my navi equipped LC!
The only OEM navi system that impressed me is the one in the new Acura RL with real-time traffic capabilities.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What I don't like about the Porsche NAV system is that you are forced to make your city selection from a horrendously long list of cities in the entire US of A when you enter a destination. I sure wish they would come up with a software upgrade that allows the user to select cities within a given state first, like the NAV on other cars, making it faster to make your selection. It’s obvious the reason it is this way is because in Europe (and other continents) a country is a state with several cities and towns within that state.

The best feature of NAV for me so far is the MAP function. It’s like having a live aerial view of the car and the surrounding streets and roadways being fed directly to the PCM screen. I can now “see” if there are outlets or side streets I can take that I’ve never taken before, allowing me to break up the drudgery of having to take the same streets over and over again just because I didn’t want to risk wasting time by backtracking if there was no outlet. I’m actually learning more about the region I live in by being a low-risk explorer, driving on streets and roads I can actually “see” on a map! And those I can’t, making it seem like the car is sailing in uncharted waters, the trusty GPS compass guiding the way, making sure I don’t fall off the edge of the world.

Quick Reply: 2005 nav system